Bryan MacLean-Daydream Believer

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

Bryan MacLean-Daydream Believer

Post by jamestkirk »

I remember this telly special, and enjoyed Bryan's segment immensely. All about LoVE, the Monkees, drugs, and finally finding his spirituality in a motel room, after hitting Rock bottom, so to speak. Funny to hear about how he tried out for the Monkees and how glad he is he didn't get the part!

It is interesting to hear him call his new music a kind of "etherial, spacey, spooky worship music". It is quite beautiful. His point being, any artist that has something worth saying, is worth listening to, whether it be about Buddism, Satantism, or whatever the "spirit" that moves him.

Here is the clip from the special....worth viewing--from one of the innovators and pioneers of the cutting edge music of the 60's that still sounds as fresh today as it did then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCY_hOKp ... re=related

I know Bryan reached out to Arthur when Mr Lee was in prison...did you all get to meet or talk over the years too? We miss Bryan. RIP.

Here is one of my favorites from his solo/demo compilation "andifyoubelievein". "SHE LOOKS GOOD"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHibnw_T ... re=related

Did you like this one Johnny , Michael?

:mrgreen:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

Bryan and I were always great friends. Over the years, he would often phone me, and play one of his new songs, to get my opinion. I thought he had become a fantastic "world class" singer, and songwriter. Had he lived, Bryan would have had a "huge" impact in the world of Christian music.

Though we did talk from time to time, about Love. Mostly we disagreed about about me joining him, in one of his never ending (threats to pursue) lawsuits. I was receiving my royalties, then, as now....either way, I would never have joined him in his legal maneuvers. You don't sue your brother. That's not to say Arthur and I didn't have a few lingering issues. But we usually found our own "private" ways of sorting things out. If there were a problem, we would talk about it, If that didn't work we could always "throw down." But in the final analysis, we were both "Mama's boys," and as a last resort, my Mother would phone his Mother.

After the release, and strong sales of the Love Story box set. Bryan could see dollar signs, and was ready to bury the hatchet, so I reprieved my role as the group's "ombudsman", and tried to work things out. Arthur and he quickly agreed to whatever it took. The problem was (of all people) Kenny Forssi, who had become a paranoid Ted Nugent, anti Government, right wing "gun-nut". By the time I managed to break through the fog, and convince him that he could make enough money to go off the grid forever, it was too late, Arthur was in prison. JE.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Johnny Echols wrote: You don't sue your brother. That's not to say Arthur and I didn't have a few lingering issues. But we usually found our own "private" ways of sorting things out. If there were a problem, we would talk about it, If that didn't work we could always "throw down."
Wish another famous Elektra band would work things out like that!
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd