'Forever Changes' Elektra Billboard

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

RunAlltheLights

'Forever Changes' Elektra Billboard

Post by RunAlltheLights »

The story goes that The Doors were the first to have a billboard on Sunset to promote their new album.

Here's an image I scanned of the 'Forever Changes' billboard that was put up in the same location. Are there any good stories behind it?

BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Was Love asked to decide on a name for the album before the billboard was commissioned?
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

It doesn't seem to have been decided upon by the time the billboard went up.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Re: 'Forever Changes' Elektra Billboard

Post by Johnny Echols »

RunAlltheLights wrote:The story goes that The Doors were the first to have a billboard on Sunset to promote their new album.

Here's an image I scanned of the 'Forever Changes' billboard that was put up in the same location. Are there any good stories behind it?

No, except we were extremely pissed off at being dissed that way!
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Was Love asked to decide on a name for the album before the billboard was commissioned?
No we weren't, communication was a bit frosty at that time.
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

jamestkirk wrote:It doesn't seem to have been decided upon by the time the billboard went up.

The billboard thing caught us all off guard! We were still tossing around possible names, when it hit the fan. Jac Holtzman knew exactly what he was doing, he wanted to provoke a reaction...he got one! JE.
jamestkirk

the BILLBOARD

Post by jamestkirk »

I remember Michael writing how he and Bryan drove out to see it, once they heard of it, and Bryan was pissed that Michael's image was larger than his in the art/collage.

I assume LoVE had zero input on choosing the FC album cover....do you like the art?

It has been used many times as a 60's symbol--used often in film & print--an iconic image of the times; one that even Elektra seems to have adopted as a symbol of the music they produced in the 60's. I have grown to love it, maybe more than any other album cover image of the day. LoVE represents the sound, the music and the scene of the day more than any other 60's band for me.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Michael's image is the smallest one, and Bryan actually complained about it being in the center. He also didn't feel that his own image was a good resemblance, but I don't agree.
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

The image is that of a human heart, so there weren't too many ways Pepper could have satisfied individual group member's, personal vanities, and remained true to his vision. I think the cover is fantastic! :D JE.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Michael's image is the smallest one, and Bryan actually complained about it being in the center. He also didn't feel that his own image was a good resemblance, but I don't agree.
Right...as you said ...it is in the center.......

-Aldous Huxley
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Johnny Echols wrote:The image is that of a human heart,
DOH! I am so blind... I never noticed that! Now that's all I can see!
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Michael,

What was your general opinion of the album cover? Were there ever any theories as to why each member of the band was placed where they were? In some ways you got the prime spot, being dead center.
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

bilboard

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

First of all I was extremely flattered that the billboard was located above the Liquor Locker,... located near the corner of Crescent Heights on Sunset, it was the primary booze outlet to all the stars who lived in Laurel Canyon.

The funny thing about the configuration of our faces is, I don't think Bob Pepper knew who was who in the group, or maybe he didn't care. He was just working off the photos he was handed and trying to come up with something artistically interesting. But the bottom line is, turning our faces into the shape of an organic human heart was a stroke of genius, one that (barring any evidence to the contrary) had to have come from the creative mind of Bob Pepper, himself.

I guess it might have gone something like...Bob's burning the midnight oil, trying hard to come up with something unusual, only perhaps using the stereotypical valentine, but then suddenly his subconscious harkens back to an anatomy class he took in college... and the light bulb goes on, "Hey, wait a minute..."

I didn't catch it the first time I saw it, either. My Dad was the first to mention to me that the shape resembled a human heart.