Vito's basement

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

TJSAbass

Vito's basement

Post by TJSAbass »

Johnny, it was a pleasure to meet you in Cleveland in '04. Do you recall when and how the Grass Roots ended up practicing in the basement at Vito's place? Was it before Bryan joined the band? I have read that he lived upstairs there. Also, when did bandmembers have their first psychedelic experience? I did some research and found that The Byrds were tripping during their practices at Vito's before they opened at Ciro's. That would have been Jan-Feb 1965, pretty early for such things to be happening. I am curious how LSD found its way into the music scene. There was an experiment where it was given to artists, who liked it alot, and told their friends about it. My theory is, it crossed over from there. Thanks for all your time here, it's a real treat to have this opportunity to ask questions!
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

For a few months, in the summer of 65, Arthur and I lived upstairs at Vito's, with Bryan, and Karl Franzoni. So it was convenient for us to go downstairs to rehearse.

Vito was at the center of everything at the time, and knew all the "players." They would often come to his studio, where he would hold court. He introduced us to Professors Leary and Hoffman. We were all very curious about this new drug they were touting that would expose all the secrets of life. Through one of them, we met a gentleman named Owsley, and he, by way of David Crosby, hooked us up with our first trip. I'm still waiting for all the secrets of life to be revealed! JE.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Johnny Echols wrote:For a few months, in the summer of 65, Arthur and I lived upstairs at Vito's, with Bryan, and Karl Franzoni. So it was convenient for us to go downstairs to rehearse.

Vito was at the center of everything at the time, and knew all the "players." They would often come to his studio, where he would hold court. He introduced us to Professors Leary and Hoffman. We were all very curious about this new drug they were touting that would expose all the secrets of life. Through one of them, we met a gentleman named Owsley, and he, by way of David Crosby, hooked us up with our first trip. I'm still waiting for all the secrets of life to be revealed! JE.
HA! I know what you mean, Johnny.

A "trip" could be a heavy thing, not to be taken lightly (it could have disastrous results)) and fortunately I never tripped or flipped out, but for some reason I mostly saw happy colorful paisley patterns superimposed over everything-- the landscape, and people too.

The answer to life is... paisleys, maybe?

:wink:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

Maybe the secret of life is to LIVE! :lol: JE.
TJSAbass

Post by TJSAbass »

JTK - I saw paisley too, ribbons that kept running vertically. I guess we can see where that fashion trend came from!

JE - So much for my theory. I should have guessed Crosby would be involved somehow! (after reading his book). Speaking of books, I'm surprised there isn't one about Vito, given his prominent position in the scene back then.
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

TJSAbass wrote:JTK - I saw paisley too, ribbons that kept running vertically. I guess we can see where that fashion trend came from!

JE - So much for my theory. I should have guessed Crosby would be involved somehow! (after reading his book). Speaking of books, I'm surprised there isn't one about Vito, given his prominent position in the scene back then.
There was a book written about Vito, Sue, Karl, Beatle Bob and the rest of the crew, several years ago. I can't remember the book title, or Author. suffice it to saw, they were not treated kindly! The whole bunch migrated to Northern Calif, and Vito became Mayor of a small town up there. I think he died a few years back, though I believe Karl Franzoni is still around. JE.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Click on the link for a bit about Vito and Franzoni....the original freaks...FREAK OUT!

Did their "dance" come to your shows, as they did to the Byrds and the Mothers?

http://books.google.com/books?id=RWPrAF ... ni&f=false
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

jamestkirk wrote:Click on the link for a bit about Vito and Franzoni....the original freaks...FREAK OUT!

Did their "dance" come to your shows, as they did to the Byrds and the Mothers?

http://books.google.com/books?id=RWPrAF ... ni&f=false

Did they? How can anyone forget the sight of fifty to a hundred plus freaks, In outlandish costumes gyrating to the music. These folks were hardcore, some of them would get busy right there on the dance floor. When the "Sherwood forest crowd," (as they were known by the local media). Started showing up to see the "Grassroots" at the Brave New World, we morphed into a Super band almost overnight. :mrgreen: JE.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Wow, imagine the olours and colourfull people.Must have been great to play for such crowd.

Vito's dancers:

Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
TJSAbass

Post by TJSAbass »

Thanks for the information. Would that be a late Sixties photo, when they were hanging at Zappa's place? I'm guessing the guy at front right to be Karl Franzoni, but I'm not sure. Vito is top row, 3rd in from the left. Is that Szou with the baby belly? JE- It must have been a real rush to get "big" that fast!
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

TJSAbass wrote:Thanks for the information. Would that be a late Sixties photo, when they were hanging at Zappa's place? I'm guessing the guy at front right to be Karl Franzoni, but I'm not sure. Vito is top row, 3rd in from the left. Is that Szou with the baby belly? JE- It must have been a real rush to get "big" that fast!

That Be Them!! Colorful weren't they? :lol:

Ed: might I have that photo, this picture is worth at least a million words!
TJSAbass

Post by TJSAbass »

Looking again, maybe Karl Franzoni is the guy between the girl w/ necklaces and the girl w/ clasped hands above head, at upper left. Can anyone put names to any other faces here? Is Beatle Bob here, or Karen Yumyum? Or even Bobby Beausoliel? Was he part of this group? I've read about a Ricky Applebaum, who took over the building when Vito left, who had a half beard, half mustache, but I don't see anyone here like that. Comments?
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

TJSAbass wrote:Looking again, maybe Karl Franzoni is the guy between the girl w/ necklaces and the girl w/ clasped hands above head, at upper left. Can anyone put names to any other faces here? Is Beatle Bob here, or Karen Yumyum? Or even Bobby Beausoliel? Was he part of this group? I've read about a Ricky Applebaum, who took over the building when Vito left, who had a half beard, half mustache, but I don't see anyone here like that. Comments?
Hmmm....no Suzy Creamcheese....

:wink:

-Aldous Huxley