New York

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

The Freedom Man
Site Owner

New York

Post by The Freedom Man »

Johnny, What made you decide to go to New York?
Was it a musical desicion?Where you attracted to the music that came from there?
Also was New York a logical move to go to after LA?
A lot of things happened in NY in the 70's. Lou Reed, The Ramones, Andy Warhol and even David Bowie. Was the 'glitter Rock' something that attracted you?
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
Johnny Echols

Re: New York

Post by Johnny Echols »

The Freedom Man wrote:Johnny, What made you decide to go to New York?
Was it a musical desicion?Where you attracted to the music that came from there?
Also was New York a logical move to go to after LA?
A lot of things happened in NY in the 70's. Lou Reed, The Ramones, Andy Warhol and even David Bowie. Was the 'glitter Rock' something that attracted you?
I moved to New York, because it was [the] jazz mecca in the US. I had intended to study jazz. But life intervened, and I wound up playing sessions for Radio and TV commercials. I did whatever studio work, provided the income, necessary to provide for my new wife, and child. Glitter rock just wasn't "my thing." I could never take those folks seriously. And I never cared that much for Andy Warhol's music either. Lou Reed on the other hand, was doing some very interesting work.... JE.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Did you see any Velvet Underground shows when they were in L.A. or San Francisco? I read that they were fans of Love, and took great interest in the debut album.
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Did you see any Velvet Underground shows when they were in L.A. or San Francisco? I read that they were fans of Love, and took great interest in the debut album.
I saw them at the Trip, (around the time we first played there) and really thought they were cool. I should differentiate between The Velvet Underground, and Andy Warhol. I liked Warhol the artist and innovator, but as a musician he just didn't seem to be all that engaged. He seemed to be just going through the motions. Lou Reed on the other hand, can talk about microphones, and pre-amps, digital versus analog, why he played one chord as opposed to another. He knows what he wants to say, and why. I just didn't get that feeling from Andy, when it came to music. JE.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Warhol was certainly a very hands-off producer, which gave the Velvets the freedom they needed to create a truly innovative album. In that sense, it was a good thing.

Those shows at The Trip were some controversial ones, to say the least. Jim Morrison also attended one of them. They took place shortly after Love's Fillmore Auditorium debut, and shortly before Love's Avalon Ballroom debut. What did you think of the other aspects of the Exploding Plastic Inevitable…the light show, dancers, film projection, etc.? Did it make an impression on you in comparison to what was happening in San Francisco at the time?
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Warhol was certainly a very hands-off producer, which gave the Velvets the freedom they needed to create a truly innovative album. In that sense, it was a good thing.

Those shows at The Trip were some controversial ones, to say the least. Jim Morrison also attended one of them. They took place shortly after Love's Fillmore Auditorium debut, and shortly before Love's Avalon Ballroom debut. What did you think of the other aspects of the Exploding Plastic Inevitable…the light show, dancers, film projection, etc.? Did it make an impression on you in comparison to what was happening in San Francisco at the time?

At the time, my thoughts about that show, was how expensive it must have been. They couldn't have earned any money with all the lights and people and props. It was as if a completely insane person, were in charge. Let's just let it all hang out, and do [whatever] whether it makes sense or not. Just the act of doing it, gave it validity. A person on acid, would have totally freaked out. Then again, they might have gotten up, walked on stage, and been welcomed as part of the act. Though some may have thought (including myself) that the theater, eclipsed the music. Their show was most definitely an "experience." I'm offering my critique from the perspective of a musician. From the perspective of someone who just walked in and sat down, it was totally mind blowing! JE.