Gibson Logo on the Gibson Organ

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

RayMan

Gibson Logo on the Gibson Organ

Post by RayMan »

Hi Vince,

is it easy to remove the Gibson logo from the organ? Ray always played with the logo removed. I love seeing the logo on there but I guess it's not authentic if I play with it on. I also don't want the logo damaged when moving the organ.

John
vince

LOGO

Post by vince »

RAY -

The organ Ray used was a Gibson - KALAMAZOO and the label was on the organ. It was a company purchased by Gibson when they wanted to expand their instrument line.

You can leave the KALAMAZOO label on. Even if you take it off I don't think that the sound will change so much as you would notice it.

And I won't say anything if you do. You are damned lucky to find one. They have not been made for some time. We had an awful job finding one in 1990.

Thanks for the post.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
RayMan

Post by RayMan »

Yes, no EBAy in 1990 and I can imagine trying to find vintage boards then would have been tough. These tend to pop up on Ebay alot, and are usually in decent shape. What seems to be extremely difficult is finding Vox Continentals and I have just about given up on those as they would be alot less reliable anyway, and as Ray said all of his died early deaths. I am very lucky as my Gibson works perfectly and is in great shape and came with everything, including volume and bass pedals. We have two large outdoor shows in the next few weeks here in So Cal and I can't wait as I've only done two Doors tribute shows with this since getting it in April.

John
vince

The Kalamazoo

Post by vince »

Sounds like you got something a near new consition. Ray had a little lever at the toe end of his volume pedal that would provide a slide effenct. He did not use it much if any as I remember, but another deathure.

Cogratulations with your show. I hope they go well for you.
The big thing is to have a dynamic singer that can give the songs the drive and strangeness that Jim was able to sustain.

Keep in touch.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
MojoRisinRay

Gibson and Kalamazoo logos

Post by MojoRisinRay »

RayMan...Please don't take the logo off of your Gibson organ...

Or if you do send it to me. I have 3 working 101's. K/G/G. I love them all!

Not to repeat Vince, but Rays organs all had logos, to my detail obsessed brain. There are planty of shots with Ray and the Gibson logo. And there are shots with Ray and the Kalamazoo logo, which is just a small thin plastic script logo. I've never seen any pics of the organ with no logo.

Kalamazoo

Kalamazoo

Gibson

:cry: Road Repaired Kalamazoo with braces and output panel hanging open...

From the pics I've seen, the Kalamazoo is the one that the sides fell off of and had to be bolted together with angle braces, first on the outside, then moved inside (thankfully) and long bolts through the sides to hold the leg supports on. I wouldn't have even noticed the braces and bolts except that when I got my first K101 the sides had fallen off during shipping...so by accident and necessity I had to fix mine about the same way. But then I am a detail freak.

Gotta Love that K101!
Mark J
RayMan

Post by RayMan »

Hi Mark,

we had some correspondence a few months ago. I am actually referring to the logo in front of the organ on the blue part that drops down and covers Ray's legs. I usually don't see it on that part. Not the part where Ray is playing as you show in those pics but on what I guess you would call the rear of the organ. I'm off to get that book on Wed so I will check out all those pics then. I'm definitely going to leave it on. Your efforts just blow me away, not only do you guys get the guitars, drums and keyboards but you've gone and acquired the amps too. Amazing!

John
MojoRisinRay

Post by MojoRisinRay »

John,

Thanks for your kind words! We try to get it as close to The Doors as possible...pretty much the entire stage from 1968 that The Doors took around the US and then to Europe. Maybe someday...The Hollywood Bowl stage of 52 Cabs. Nah!

My mistake about which logo you were refering to. I guess nevermind the last post...

The K101 and some G101 didn't have the logo that you are talking about. To my knowledge they started putting those on in 69 or 70. But I will say that sometime in 69-70 Ray did get a new G101 with a logo. Here are a few fuzzy, grainy pics:

05-02-70 - Pittsburgh Civic Arena. G101 logo...AND Vince's Huge Custom System, WOW!

12-11-70 - State Fair Music Hall Dallas. G101 logo and Ray reaching for his Fender Rhodes Stage 73.

So fear not, your G101 is authentic as-is. Just as long as you shy away from the psychedelic and lean more toward blues based sets. 8)

Mark J
vince

Logo

Post by vince »

The logo was knocked off the organ and once lost, was never replaced. Having it on or off will not affect the quality of the playing, music or performance.

I don't think you need fear the question of authenticity based on a logo.

Your besat showing would be to play the music well and properly. All else will fall into place.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors