Films and TV Shows

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

BallroomDays67

Films and TV Shows

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Besides American Bandstand, did Love receive any offers to make an appearance or provide music for any films or television shows?
Johnny Echols

Re: Films and TV Shows

Post by Johnny Echols »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Besides American Bandstand, did Love receive any offers to make an appearance or provide music for any films or television shows?
My song "Lonely Guitar," also known as Emotions was the sound track in the Movie Medium Cool. Conka was in Mondo Hollywood, and Arthur's house was in the Trip. We also did a couple other forgettable low budget films, the titles of which, I can't remember, or more likely never knew.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

The Trip.....such a crazy heavy fun movie (remember that 60's thing we all said for a while? "Heavy, man") ....I must visit The Trip again.

I forgot that was the Castle. Were you all still living there during the filming? It was released in 1967 but was it filmed in '66 ?--around the time Love occupied the Castle.

Did Peter Fonda choose the Castle because of Love's association with it and did you know Peter? Did he ever hang there?
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

jamestkirk wrote:The Trip.....such a crazy heavy fun movie (remember that 60's thing we all said for a while? "Heavy, man") ....I must visit The Trip again.

I forgot that was the Castle. Were you all still living there during the filming? It was released in 1967 but was it filmed in '66 ?--around the time Love occupied the Castle.

Did Peter Fonda choose the Castle because of Love's association with it and did you know Peter? Did he ever hang there?
I believe the Trip was filmed at Arthur's house on Wonderland, shortly after we moved out of the Castle. Both Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper were regulars, at the Castle and we'd "trip" together often. Many times after we moved, I'd run into them at "Howie the Candle maker's" house where everyone came to score "candles!" Dennis was good friends with Al Dahlbeck, the gentleman who I have such fond memories of....lying in peaceful repose on the deck in front of the Canyon Country store. Seems Al had tried the patience, of a young Mr. Arthur Porter Taylor Lee, once too often, and was provided a much needed rest. :D JE.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

So amazing Johnny...I'd love to read YOUR "book"...though I don't know if you could write about all the exploits of some high profile figures like Peter Fonda without their consent...but maybe you could. Of course we would want ALL the details of the events at the Castle...not just Love related!! I suppose a very long book could easily be written of that time alone...called LoVE & Life at The Castle.
:wink:

Any chance of a book from you? We would be in Love-heaven if that was on a pre-order list at Amazon!! A perfect companion to Michael's & Einarson's books...now that would complete our Love books holy trinity!

:mrgreen:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
TJSAbass

Post by TJSAbass »

Johnny, how did the Medium Cool deal happen? Did someone approach you about using the song?
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

TJSAbass wrote:Johnny, how did the Medium Cool deal happen? Did someone approach you about using the song?

Mike Bloomfield , was the musical director for the movie, and he asked if they could use my song, of course I agreed. I thought it was only going to be played once, as part of the soundtrack. It was only after "Medium Cool" was released, and I received the check, that I learned it was the main them of the movie. It was pretty cool, hearing music you had written as a child, played over those huge theater speakers. JE.
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

As things stand right now, I'm rather torn about writing a book. On the one hand, I think it is very important to tell the "rest of the story," the whole story. Being that Love was such an enigmatic group, with its own decidedly unique, and loyal fan base, (a fact that hasn't escaped book publishers.) Those telling that story, have to walk a fine line, in trying to reach their target audience. One almost has to censor the facts, in order to get the work published. I simply cannot, and will not do that. Therein lies the problem!

Truth be told, Love has a limited book buying audience. Many of those fans, have no interest in reading a factual accounting of the reality in which we lived. They are so steeped in myths, apocrypha and flat out nonsense, a different point of view can be seen by some, as threatening. After John Einarson's book came out, I was inundated with emails, from people, seeking to argue with me, about my own life. They absolutely did not want to hear anything, that goes against their preconceived beliefs.

As I've said, I'm toying with the idea, and trying to keep an open mind. But writing a book, about "Love" requires an awful lot of time. At this point in my life, I am very careful about where, and with whom I share, that time. JE.
Last edited by Johnny Echols on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Thanks for sharing your time here on the Forum.You already answered a lot of questions that it almost counts as a book! :wink:
I like facts over myth, that is why I started this board, which wasn't very much appreciated by The Doors management because of the facts "revealed" here.
The truth is out there....
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Thanks Johnny. I get where you are at.

And right on, Ed...the TRUTH will set you free.

-Aldous Huxley
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

I just saw the scene from Mondo Hollywood. I hadn’t known that there was footage of Don Conka from that period. I’ll also have to check out Medium Cool. Unfortunately, it’s out of print at the moment.

I was surprised to learn that The Doors recorded some commercially unavailable music for a Ford training film. I assume that Love didn’t do something similar, and that previously available tracks were used in the low budget films?

That’s a tough situation with regard to your possibly writing a book. It’s a shame in that you actually kept a journal, which would provide an excellent foundation. However, as much as I’d like to read it, I can’t blame you if you chose not to write one. I’d think that most fans, even those who somehow feel that they have more accurate knowledge than a band member, would be interested in another perspective. Even if they didn’t agree with certain things, they could take what they want from it. Apparently that isn’t the case.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

BallroomDays67 wrote:I just saw the scene from Mondo Hollywood. I hadn’t known that there was footage of Don Conka from that period. I’ll also have to check out Medium Cool. Unfortunately, it’s out of print at the moment.

I was surprised to learn that The Doors recorded some commercially unavailable music for a Ford training film. I assume that Love didn’t do something similar, and that previously available tracks were used in the low budget films?

That’s a tough situation with regard to your possibly writing a book. It’s a shame in that you actually kept a journal, which would provide an excellent foundation. However, as much as I’d like to read it, I can’t blame you if you chose not to write one. I’d think that most fans, even those who somehow feel that they have more accurate knowledge than a band member, would be interested in another perspective. Even if they didn’t agree with certain things, they could take what they want from it. Apparently that isn’t the case.
Bally...you can watch the movie Medium Cool for free at this site/.....and many other movies!

http://veehd.com/video/4516075_Medium-Cool-1969

=)

-Aldous Huxley
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Extra cool! Thanks, James! :D
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

I neglected to mention Love's appearance on Where The Action Is!, which is briefly mentioned in the Einarson book. Bryan said he was filmed from the waist up because his pants were too tight. :lol: I've never seen that footage, which I assume isn't currently available. What are your recollections of that appearance? As with American Bandstand, was a music track used during the performance(s)?
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

If you have the LOVE story dvd, you can see the footage there.
It's not the complete footage, cause it was too expensive to buy it from Dick Clark who ownes the right.
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Ah...I forgot about that. I'm going to rewatch it right now. Thanks, Ed.

EDIT: Yep, there's exactly one minute of Love performing "A Message To Pretty." Very cool!
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Ah...I forgot about that. I'm going to rewatch it right now. Thanks, Ed.

EDIT: Yep, there's exactly one minute of Love performing "A Message To Pretty." Very cool!
From my perspective, (and I know Arthur felt the same) Elektra simply had no idea, as to how to market Love. If You notice, they shoot us from below, on the first album, ostensibly crotch shots. Yet they claimed to be surprised at the negative reaction, from some quarters. They present us as safe, yet somehow dangerous, on Dacapo. and on later releases of Forever Changes, we are pictured as bland cartoon characters. They were absolutely clueless, in the presentation of our group. Sadly it's not always about the music. Many Excellent products, (and music is definitely a product) never receive the market share they deserve, simply because of the way they are presented. Love is a prime example.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

It's indeed surprising that the iconic photo from the back of "Forever Changes" was replaced with that drawing, and that it remained that way for the 2-CD Collector's Edition. What was the idea behind that?

I was also surprised by the cover of "Da Capo" in it's similarity to the cover of the debut album. It contains the same exceptional songwriting, but the music is very distinctive. However, the cover gives the impression that it's the debut album, part II. I guess the addition of the picture frame is supposed to account for that, but it's still very similar.
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

BallroomDays67 wrote:It's indeed surprising that the iconic photo from the back of "Forever Changes" was replaced with that drawing, and that it remained that way for the 2-CD Collector's Edition. What was the idea behind that?

I was also surprised by the cover of "Da Capo" in it's similarity to the cover of the debut album. It contains the same exceptional songwriting, but the music is very distinctive. However, the cover gives the impression that it's the debut album, part II. I guess the addition of the picture frame is supposed to account for that, but it's still very similar.
Elektra seemed to be trying to have us appear racially ambiguous, long after race was no longer a factor in the vast majority of peoples minds. As far as Love was concerned, the company was always somewhere different than the record buying public. I know Jac is considered a musical Icon, but from my perspective, he's just a clueless individual. Who was very lucky, to be in the right place at the right time.
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Johnny Echols wrote:
TJSAbass wrote:Johnny, how did the Medium Cool deal happen? Did someone approach you about using the song?

Mike Bloomfield , was the musical director for the movie, and he asked if they could use my song, of course I agreed. I thought it was only going to be played once, as part of the soundtrack. It was only after "Medium Cool" was released, and I received the check, that I learned it was the main them of the movie. It was pretty cool, hearing music you had written as a child, played over those huge theater speakers. JE.
Did Love ever play on the same bill as the Butterfield Blues Band? Bloomfield was simply outstanding. East/West is in a way the Chicago version of Revelation. Since they were the first electric band that Elekra signed I was wondering also your opinion on how you felt they were handled by the label.
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

Mike Bloomfield and I were close friends, we spent countless hours at my house on Lookout mountain. Jamming, and talking guitar. The Butterfield Blues Band, was one of the coolest bands around, and I think it's an absolute travesty they never received the recognition they deserved.
Last edited by Johnny Echols on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

[quote="Johnny Echols"]Mike Bloomfield and I were close friends, we spent countless hours at my house on Lookout Mt. Jamming, and talking guitar. The Butterfield Blues Band, was one of the coolest bands around, and I think it's an absolute travesty they never received the recognition they deserved.

So cool that you had that experience with him. He was devastating on guitar. His work on Highway 61 was enough to ensure his stature, but the first two Butterfield albums are simply must haves in a music collection.

Very sad about his early passing however. Way too early and I wonder if his potential was only touched upon due to the problems he encountered. I don't know the specifics but a great talent somehow not fully fulfilled.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Great music....Blood Sweat & Tears, Super Session.....too

Thanks for the memories, Johnny

-Aldous Huxley