Hendrix' look of LoVE

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

Hendrix' look of LoVE

Post by jamestkirk »

From many accounts, Jimi took his look from Arthur, AND some of his guitar technique was nicked from you Johnny....true?

I am talking about how you were the first to play your guitar BEHIND your head, up-side-down....Jimi saw it an emulated it....

Many musicians were inspired by LoVE, but to some Hendrix fans, it seems like heresy to say all that Hendrix did was not all his own.

But I am sure he got many inspirations from many artists....those were the times....a beautiful time of cross pollination!

Hendrix is said to have heard Tim Rose's slow version of "Hey Joe" and it has been played that way by many ever since Jimi did...using your "tongue-in-cheek" lyrics of course!!
(Another story)

Rose's slow folk rocker "Morning Dew" cover also became the definitive version covered by many (we won't talk about how Rose was able to somehow get co-songwriting rights for another's composition)

So I am rambling, but my point is that LoVe influenced many, MANY artists, not the least- Jimi Hendrix! Did Hendrix get that behind the back guitar trick from you?
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley