Miami

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Hank Chinaski

Miami

Post by Hank Chinaski »

Vince,

Did you ever testify in court about what you saw at the Miami trial?
vince

Miami court

Post by vince »

No I did not. I was not even asked to go to Maimi. I wasinterviewed by Max Fink and told of my part on the event. He chose not to include that in the presentation for the defence.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
claud

Post by claud »

hey great new forum ,ok,
what was the situation with the case just before jim died?was it over or on appeal? thanks
nephron

Post by nephron »

Vince, have you read Densmore's account of Miami?
"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."--Einstein on the death of a friend.
vince

Miami

Post by vince »

No, I have not read John's book regretably. I understand that his writing, as well as that of Frank Lisciandro, are pretty nice.

The trial was over when Jim died. The case was on appeal which became moot at his death.

One thing I can say about Miami, Jim was not in the mood to do a standard sow. Circumstances, planned or otherwise, certainly brought that about. At the start he refused to pick up the lead music that the guy playedd. Things went crazy from that point on.

Not in the sense of mayhem but rather in the events - the guy with the lamb, the kids getting naked by the thousands, the bully boys and their sidekicks, the policeman's cap and Jim being shoved off stage by the promoter

Of course the stage collapsing was no help either.

The events that followed the show were a gross and flagant miscarriage of justice. It was "Good Ole Boys" syndrom at its best.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
cutis

Re: Miami court

Post by cutis »

vince wrote:No I did not. I was not even asked to go to Maimi. I wasinterviewed by Max Fink and told of my part on the event. He chose not to include that in the presentation for the defence.

This is where Max Fink really dropped the ball! Not to include Vince in the trial and provide testimony to Jimi's actions on stage should have been a vital piece of Jim's defense. Given the fact that Vince actually PREVENTED Jim from whipping out his ivory shaft you'd think would have been compelling testimony for the jury. Of course, the judge and the jury were out to get Jim anyway, so maybe it would have been moot. Nevertheless, Max F-cked up!
vince

Miami Court

Post by vince »

It is interesting that Jim did not have abelt on his pants. I had my finger through the belt loops and twisted them so he could not shake me off. Then I did a sort of "Surling" movement so the pants were up high. That is the reason for the change in pitch of Jims voice as he was talking.

The only access he had to the treasure trove was through the front door and, as photos show, this was locked tight. It was not possible for himto even get his handdown from the top.

Now - it has been commented, and shown, that he did have his hand down his pants. This did happen because there are photos. But NOT when I was behind him which was not all of the time. I can't remember when or why I let him loose - maybe the arrival of Mr. Lambikins
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors