The Byrds at Ciro's

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

TJSAbass

The Byrds at Ciro's

Post by TJSAbass »

It is known that Arthur was highly inspired by seeing The Byrds during their legendary run at Ciro's in March 1965. Were either of you there? Do you have any memories of that time to share? Coming up on 46 years ago.
Johnny Echols

Re: The Byrds at Ciro's

Post by Johnny Echols »

TJSAbass wrote:It is known that Arthur was highly inspired by seeing The Byrds during their legendary run at Ciro's in March 1965. Were either of you there? Do you have any memories of that time to share? Coming up on 46 years ago.
Arthur and I, went to Ciro's together and thought the Byrds were so cool, especially Gene Clark, and Jim McGuinn. The group gave an absolutely stellar performance, their harmonies were spot on. After seeing them, and noting all those chicks in the audience, we decided then and there, that's the direction we wanted go musically. It would be hard to overstate the effect they had on us that night, just mind blowing!
TJSAbass

Post by TJSAbass »

Was Vito's group there yet? I'm not sure at what point during The Byrds' run at Ciro's they came in. Did you already know them before this? And also Dylan, did you see the night he joined The Byrds onstage?
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

TJSAbass wrote:Was Vito's group there yet? I'm not sure at what point during The Byrds' run at Ciro's they came in. Did you already know them before this? And also Dylan, did you see the night he joined The Byrds onstage?

Vito's bunch was there the night we saw the Byrd's, along with a huge crowd from the valley. I only Knew David Crosby at that point, who was the "gadfly" of the group. He was intent on cultivating a relationship with everyone in Hollywood. David was the original "networker."Dylan wasn't there when Arthur and I saw them, though we did meet [him] later; standing in the corner at Dobie Gray's house.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Did you get a chance to see any of the later Byrds lineups? They played the Kaleidoscope (at the old Earl Carroll Theatre) in June of '68, just a few days after Love was there. Did you know Gram Parsons, who at the time was a member of The Byrds?
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Did you get a chance to see any of the later Byrds lineups? They played the Kaleidoscope (at the old Earl Carroll Theatre) in June of '68, just a few days after Love was there. Did you know Gram Parsons, who at the time was a member of The Byrds?
I didn't know any of the later "Byrds," and I never saw them play. Though I did hear a couple of their records, I preferred the original group. They just sounded better to me. Bryan may have known them, since he kept in touch with Roger.