TIMELESSNESS OF THE MUSIC

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

nephron

TIMELESSNESS OF THE MUSIC

Post by nephron »

What is it about this stuff?????

I've always loved other bands/types of music, etc. A single example is James McMurtry (for those that haven't heard him....well, it's hard to describe, except that it's spooky stuff with lyrics that come very close to challenging Morrison)...there are others, but my kids (I'm unfortunately divorced now) heard The Doors a few times in our travels back and forth to town, or whatever, and suddenly....I've got a 4 y/o daughter BEGGING me to play the 'SCREAM' song (When the Music's Over), or the 'Kiss' song (Crystal Ship), or the 'Ooompa Loompa Song' (Alabama Song)....etc. List goes on and on. Unreal. There's nothing either my son (9), nor daughter have ever heard that had that impact. My poor son emulates Morrison. My daughter wants to hear him scream. They both know the words to a lot of the songs.

Am I crazy, or is this stuff here to stay???? Like forever? 8)
"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."--Einstein on the death of a friend.
vince

The Path to Oz

Post by vince »

It seems that your teo progeny are wiser than most. Yes, the early Doors is definitely classic and will havemeaning to everyone for a very long time to come.

If you put the stories of Bill Shake Spear into common English (Which unfortunately looses the woderful sound of the original, you suddenly find that he is telling stories about modern times.

S with Morrison. THose "Strange Lyrics" that he wrote have a great appeal to all people even 30 years later

Look at some of the thoughts that Joriki has on Jim's possible state of mind. It does give a clue. Your kids have looked through the doors of perception and see the Madness of Morrison

Not only that - the Music is absolutely fascinating in structure.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
nephron

Post by nephron »

I was watching Jefferson Airplane from 68 the other day. At the risk of sounding cliche'-like, and at the risk of possibly saying what's already been said, I'd say other music, particularly with more than 4 members (Doors), splashes out. Sprays out to coat the tympanic membranes so to speak. Good stuff in and of itself, but....Doors music, particularly the early stuff, hits hard and clean, disects the soul from the body.

Without even attempting to write like some wanna-be rock journalist, I'd safely say it is among the most fascinating music.
"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."--Einstein on the death of a friend.
vince

Comparisons

Post by vince »

I think I havementioned that the Airplane and the Doors were the founders of music that became known as "Acid Rock". The Airplane was a very dynamic group - I saw that personally in Amsterdam. Most of it anyway.

It is dynamic and nice to listen to. there were many groups that had something to say. Yarbirds were one. Joni Mitchel, Peter, Paul & Mary, Simon & Garfunkle, Crochie, John Denver and, the Beatles.

There were othrs but these are likely, for me, the best of the lot.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
JLizard

Mrs. Robinson

Post by JLizard »

Vince, I heard that Jim didn't care for Simon and Garfunkel... did he enjoy Starship? From the dvd on the Europe tour it seemed like Grace Slick idolized him. Thanks
universalmind69

Post by universalmind69 »

Grace even "got it on" with Jim on one occasion.. :wink:
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Airplane not Starship.