Forever Changes no mention of Michael?

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Forever Changes no mention of Michael?

Post by The Freedom Man »

Hi Michael,

I was looking at the back cover of FC and saw there was no mention of your name at the credits with the other musicians.
It's a release from 1967.
Have you any idea why this is?
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
MichaelStuart-Ware

no mention

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

Hey Ed, Yes, I've seen copies of that particular Forever Changes. I don't know for certain (the reason that edition eliminated me from the credits), but considering the timeline, I can use a little deductive reasoning and come up with a pretty good guess.

It came out (I believe) in the early-to-mid-seventies, which was right around the time Tjay and I took Arthur to court and won a settlement for past-due royalties. Could be Arthur was miffed. He hated to lose.

Why didn't the other guys join in the suit? I wasn't able to find Johnny or Bryan and Kenny wasn't interested.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Hi Michael,

Well, sounds logical to me. The LP has the Elektra Butterfly logo, so for sure it is not from 1967.

Typical Arthur action, childish almost.
Another Love mystery solved!

Thanks Michael!
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Hi Michael

....yes, on my first pressing, gold label vinyl, you are listed on Percussion.

Your guess would be likely correct on Ed's vinyl...though Ed's has 1967 copyright, it is probably from that 70's timeframe you speak of.

Cheers,
Scott
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Yes, Elektra changed their label into the butterfly late '69.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

In the US they switched to the butterfly label in mid-1970. There were also paler butterfly labels (the colors are far less vibrant) used through the mid-1970s.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

There was at least one pressing on the butterfly label, and with Michael credited on the back cover. I have one of those.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Which one do you guys have, pale/vibrant?
There are more label differences but mine are all packed away for the moment.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Mine is vibrant
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

The Freedom Man wrote:Mine is vibrant
Yeah, if it is a Nederlands pressing I would think so. I have a few Nederlands pressings and they are always of the highest quality-vinyl, label, sleeve...unlike many USA cut-the-corners pressings. I got so many BRAND NEW bad vinyl pressing over the years with bubbles, bumps, warps, skips, foreign material in the vinyl.....it is sad really.

Did you know that 80% of Michael Jackson's THRILLER vinyl records were knowingly defective when unleashed on the American public at large?!! That is LOW! (not that I ever bought it, but that IS LOW!)

:evil:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

It,s a UK pressing.

If you want to buy very good quality new releases, check out this site of a man I know.He comes at my shop and never pays for a haircut, but trades cd's or vinyl to us for it.Cool!

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

The Freedom Man wrote:It,s a UK pressing.

If you want to buy very good quality new releases, check out this site of a man I know.He comes at my shop and never pays for a haircut, but trades cd's or vinyl to us for it.Cool!

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/
UK pressings are great also. I have a few...Dylan, Byrds, Beatles.....isn't it funny that we love the imports!

I met a UK dude at a local records shop who just loved the heavy cardboard USA record jackets. And I love the UK flimsy laminated record covers.

It's always what we can't readily have, that are the things we covet most!!

Long live VINYL!!

A haircut for a music collectible.....GOOD DEAL, Ed!! :mrgreen:

-Aldous Huxley
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Mine is pale, and says "Manufactured by Elektra/Asylum/Nonesuch Records..."
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Mine is pale, and says "Manufactured by Elektra/Asylum/Nonesuch Records..."
Do you have a first pressing pale gold Elektra label, bally? Mine is pretty nice...I got it for $25 ten years ago but I saw one recently for $75....Forever Changes first presses are getting rare!!

-Aldous Huxley
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

I don't. The butterfly label reissue is the only copy I have on vinyl. Congrats on owning a first pressing. A mint copy in the original shrink wrap recently sold for $249!
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

BallroomDays67 wrote:I don't. The butterfly label reissue is the only copy I have on vinyl. Congrats on owning a first pressing. A mint copy in the original shrink wrap recently sold for $249!
Really..sealed? Mine is in the shrink opened, and the vinyl is M-/VG+++....still a nice find.

Cheers!

We do LOVE our Forever Changes!!

:mrgreen:

-Aldous Huxley
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Opened, but still in the shrink wrap.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Opened, but still in the shrink wrap.
Ouch! Really?!!

-Aldous Huxley