Michael: Your first show with Love

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

BallroomDays67

Michael: Your first show with Love

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Was the show on 8/18/66 at the Marigold Ballroom in Fresno your very first time performing with Love? Did you have an opportunity to rehearse for the show, or were you familiar enough with the material from listening the debut LP and having shared the same bill with Love? What do you recall about that show?
MichaelStuart-Ware

first gig

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

Actually, Snoop played that gig in Fresno, however the band kindly flew me up with them so I could hang out and get a feel for the membership.

I remember three things about that gig... first, not only did Snoopy play barefoot, but he actually walked over to the venue barefoot from where the limo dropped us off and it was a gravelly, rocky walk. I remember thinking, "Dude must have some hard core calluses on the bottoms of those feets."

The second thing I remember about that gig, was during the flight up, Arthur (after activating the little fan above his seat) nonchalantly pulled his hash pipe out of his coat pocket, fired it up and, with only the slightest hint of discretion, commenced to smoke and pass the pipe across the aisle to members to the band (including me of course) in full view of the other passengers and crew. To my amazement, nobody said a word.

,... and the third (and most important) thing I remember is that when we landed back in L.A., the flight attendant slipped me a piece of paper with her number on it as I stepped toward the rear exit. She was fine, too.

The first thing I did as a paid member (and actual drummer) of the group was to start rehearsals for Da Capo during the last week in August up at Arthur's pad on Brier in the canyon.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Ah...I see. Very cool. So then your first show with Love was in October at the Whisky, with the Sons of Adam as the opening band? I read in the Einarson book that those shows went really well. Were those some of your favorite shows?
MichaelStuart-Ware

the whisky

It was always fun to play The Whisky...small room made for good acoustics, always packed, plus we were in practice from having just recorded the album (Da Capo). Everybody was getting along. Those shows were a good time for the band.
Bruno

Re: Michael: Your first show with Love

Post by Bruno »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Was the show on 8/18/66 at the Marigold Ballroom in Fresno your very first time performing with Love? Did you have an opportunity to rehearse for the show, or were you familiar enough with the material from listening the debut LP and having shared the same bill with Love? What do you recall about that show?
(a) The exact date of the Fresno shows were: August 19-20, 1966

(b) Michael Stuart first gig with Love was on October 19, 1966 at the
Whisky a' Go-Go in Los Angeles
Bruno

Re: first gig

Post by Bruno »

MichaelStuart-Ware wrote:The first thing I did as a paid member (and actual drummer) of the group was to start rehearsals for Da Capo during the last week in August up at Arthur's pad on Brier in the canyon.
Michael, we already have a "discussion" about the exact date of when you start rehearsals with Love and, you know, we think that was the first week of September 1966.
MichaelStuart-Ware

splitting hairs

I remember the rehearsals for Da Capo as beginning sometime during the last week in August of '66, but we can make it September if you want.
Bruno

Re: splitting hairs

Post by Bruno »

MichaelStuart-Ware wrote:I remember the rehearsals for Da Capo as beginning sometime during the last week in August of '66, but we can make it September if you want.
you know Michael, for me you're always right!!!. I always think early September 1966 because Love were in San Francisco for a show on August 27 at the Longshoremen's Hall, so I think that you (and Tjay) joined them only a few days after when they returned in L.A., but you're very 100 percent feel about last week of August 1966 as exact date so, ok, I've change my date in my Love and Sons Of Adam Story in my blog, because you know, I always try to do my best for write the most exact and correct story of your great bands.

cheers,
Bruno Ceriotti