Michael & Johnny & all: She Comes In Colors--LoVE vs

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

Michael & Johnny & all: She Comes In Colors--LoVE vs

Post by jamestkirk »

Michale & Johnny...do you remember Arthur's reaction to the Stones release of Aftermath and the long bluesy number... and to "She's A Rainbow"?

Was there any discussion between you guys about it? Your personal reactions?

-----------------------------------------------
Old news to many here but I enjoy it, and never get tired of this kind of stuff....

It has been related that when the Stones where in LA recording "Aftermath", they saw LoVE. The "revelation" they experienced was profound it seems.

The Stones went on to record their longest track to date & to later record their wonderful "She's A Rainbow"....the similarities are too striking to be chance...but Arthur's original will always be my favorite....though the only similarity is lyrically, not in the tunes.

She Comes In Colors...more psychedelic and deeper and darker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMepqPsyIvo

She's A Rainbow....more flower power peace & love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2RXKvkv ... re=related

"Da Capo would yield the wonderful song "She Comes In Colors" which was later co-oped by The Rolling Stones for the song "She's A Rainbow". Arthur would never forget it...."

AFTERMATH-
The album proved to be a major artistic breakthrough for The Rolling Stones, being the first full-length release by the band to consist exclusively of Mick Jagger/Keith Richards compositions.....

(hmmmm. maybe seeing Love had some effect on that revelation--I just cannot resist....sorry, that's the last pun-- & breakthrough?)

Aftermath was also the first Rolling Stones album to be recorded entirely in the United States, at the legendary RCA Studios in Hollywood, California at 6363 Sunset Boulevard, and the first album the band released in stereo.

Arthur Lee on Revelation and The Stones....

The song "Revelation" was a long jam we did so the musicians could express themselves. The Rolling Stones saw us play at the Brave New World, and they recorded a long song on their next album. After our album came out, I got the blame for copying THEM!

The album's critical reputation has suffered as a result of the inclusion of this track, and many blame producer Paul Rothchild for failing to capture the group's live energy and truncating their performance. It is interesting to note, though, that in a contemporary review of the album (1967), critic Robert Christgau praised "Revelation" faintly for its "excellent guitar and harmonica work and great screaming by a lead singer (I don't know his name; the new style in record jackets is to reveal nothing)".

I love Arthur's song-"She Comes In Colors"...is that your favorite also...or is there a miscreant among us who likes the Stone's song better?!!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
MichaelStuart-Ware

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

Well, Arthur never complained at the time (in my presence) about having been ripped off by The Stones, but obviously, their hit "She's A Rainbow" is a direct steal from "She Comes In Colors.". I mean, "she comes in colors" is not your everyday expression, and apparently I guess Mick thought since Love was just "an underground group with a cult following" not enough people would notice to make a difference, so therefore he could probably get away with it. Which he did.

But you know, theft is not uncommon in music. Arthur generously admits openly to having taken the music from "House of The Rising Sun" to use on one of his greatest compositions, "Signed D.C." But that's the thing...he admitted it. Besides, it's not exactly the same. There's enough of a variation in structure and lyric to make "Signed D.C." unique.

And quite honestly, the same could be said for "She's A Rainbow."
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Mick was in a rip off mode in '67; the album that 'Rainbow' came from (Satanic Majesties) was a direct cop of Sgt. Pepper right down to the psych cover!
You set the scene