For Michael: 90's reunion

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

For Michael: 90's reunion

Post by silentseason »

Michael,

Could you give me some information regarding the potential Love reunion that was proposed in the 90's before Arthur's legal problems sank any chance of it happening. Were you asked to join? Was there going to be extensive touring? Was there any potential recording in the offing? Were all 5 of you from the FC lineup included? Thanks for your time in all these questions.
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

90's reunion

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

I was out of touch in the early 90's and didn't make contact with anybody in the group until 1998 when Bryan and I were interviewed for Kevin Delaney's book.

But actually after the year 1972 I wouldn't have been invited to participate in any Love reunion anyway, because that's when Tjay and I sued Arthur for past due royalties and won, so Arthur's not the kind to forgive and forget.

That's alright... I wouldn't have accepted the invitation anyway, even if I had been invited... and to prove it, I didn't accept (Arthur's manager) Gene Kraut's invitation to play Royal Festival Hall (the opening concert of the Forever Changes tour when Arthur got out of prison in what...2001?)

Hey, I got mad at Arthur. I'm not really the kind to forgive and forget either, if you want to know the truth. He kept putting me off and putting me off about the royalties until it got to the point where it was obvious he was bullshitting and I got tired of waiting for my money and pissed off at him for thinking he could get away with shafting me for my bread. So I sued him. That's all. No big deal.
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

How was Bryan doing in regards to relating to you and the band in '98 if you can recall? I know he had some correspondence with Arthur in Jan of 1998. I would hope that maybe he found some peace before his passing.

Sadly your description of Arthur is consistent with his actions in his life. If I am reading the situation correctly, I don't think there ever was a scenario where he didn't have a falling out with any of his professional music groups.
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

I hadn't had any contact with Bryan at all since the late sixties, until Kevin put us in touch in August of '98, then I never saw him again.

If you're referring to the letter Bryan sent to Arthur in prison (printed in Mojo), then you must know that Bryan had genuine and heartfelt empathy for Arthur and the predicament he endured, and thought it was tremendously unfair that Arthur should have to serve any time in prison whatsoever for his temporary lapse in judgement.

Bryan's Mom, Lizzie, read me the letter on several occasions, and she felt so proud that Bryan held no grudge and truly forgave Arthur for his transgressions.

Yes, unfortunately, from what I hear, I wasn't the only Love associate that had trouble collecting earned money. I think with Arthur, "the buck stops here," took on a whole new meaning early on.