LoVE: Gazing

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

LoVE: Gazing

Post by silentseason »

"Gazing"
-Running time: 2:40
-Recorded: January 24, 1966 Sunset Sound
-Written by: Arthur Lee
-Lead vocal and drums: Arthur Lee
-Lead guitar: Johnny Echols
-Rhythm guitar: Bryan MacLean
-Bass: Kenny Forssi
-Quotable: How did the band make the transition from a cover band to LoVE? Johnny gives some insight into the genesis of how the band's unique sound was born:

"Arthur and I, went to Ciro's together and thought the Byrds were so cool, especially Gene Clark, and Jim McGuinn. The group gave an absolutely stellar performance, their harmonies were spot on. After seeing them, and noting all those chicks in the audience, we decided then and there, that's the direction we wanted go musically. It would be hard to overstate the effect they had on us that night, just mind blowing!"

-IMHO: The much quoted lyric "a mulatto soul so rare" is perhaps Arthur's most personal lyric and a real example of the lyric similarity shared between Arthur and Jim Morrison. Both exhibited the anguish and aloneness of their human existance most poignantly; Arthur in 'Gazing' and Morrison in the Dawn's Highway section of Peace Frog. Also interesting is the fact that the lyrics for these two songs were written independently of the music, which was created solely by the groups without help from the lead singer.
-Fun Fact: The Whisky A Go Go was the bands favorite place to play and was made famous by their gigs there. Johnny gives some reasons why this came about:

"The Whisky had been experiencing a decline in revenue, since the days when Johnny Rivers was king. It was the beginning of a changing of the guard in Hollywood. And because there were so few patrons, the Whisky had a reputation for not paying their acts. This caused many groups to be leery of playing there, making the situation even worse. So when we were booked, we came with our own audience who filled the place beyond capacity, they made money and paid us well. Soon other successful groups began to accept bookings. It was a win-win for every body."

Lyrics:

In a gazing dazzling glare
As an image stood before me
But he knew not where

And ... souls so rare
Intercepted by graviation
Through the mist like air

From the pits of Eden
This image he came from there

One time now
Johnny's turn now

Driven out by Eden's flash
And the pop art politician
But he knew not where
This image he came from there
Last edited by silentseason on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Very good, SS.

=)
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley