Most Memorable Audience Moments

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Webber

Most Memorable Audience Moments

Post by Webber »

Sittin' here bored, so I wanted to make a thread dedicated to the audience members of live shows, just because some of them crack me up.

Jim had a funny way when it came to interacting with fans. And the audience members were also quite strange... probably something to do with all the drugs floating around. But nevertheless, they are forever cemented in history through our audio recordings.

The moments I'm gonna nominate as my favourites (probably guessable):

The Show: Boston 1970, the Second Show
The Song: Five to One (afterwards)

Reason why:
Jim ''I don't know how many of you believe in Astrology...''
Girl ''You're a Sagittarius''...
Jim ''That's right baby... The most philosophical of all signs''
Girl ''I know! So am I!...''
Jim ''But anyway, I don't believe in it.''
Girl ''I don't either!''
Jim ''I think it's a bunch of bullshit!''

Jim totally reels in an annoying fan and turns against her, leaving her look foolish for agreeing with everything he has to say. It's funny because it makes her look sort of pathetic.

The Show: Boston 1970, the Second Show
The Song: Mystery Train

Reason why:
The same girl (I think) says something whilst the train is chuggin' away. Jim is ''Woo Woo''-ing and setting the mood. It's obvious this is going to be one pleasant, chilled out ride. However, the girl says something inaudible and before it escalates and ruins the atmosphere, Jim raises his voice and says:
"Shut up, Girl!" and the audience erupt in laughter. It gets me every time!

The Show: Live at New York Felt Forum, 18th January 1970, the Second Show
The Song: Celebration of the Lizard

Reason why:
Jim: ''Lions in the street and roaming. Dogs in heat, rabid, foaming. A beast, caged, in the heart of the city...''
Fan: ARRGGGGAWAAARGH! (Tarzan noise)

This quick-witted fan makes the funniest Tarzan noise that I've ever heard, with perfect precision timing. It causes a chain reaction of strange howls from other audience members which aren't funny. But that is pretty funny in itself!

Well, that's my selection. It killed a bit of time. It's much more funnier listening to it than reading it obviously.
What are your favourites?
Buda

Post by Buda »

There may be other better ones but at this very moment I only remember one and though it happened inbetween the audience members it always drew a big smile on my face. During the Singer Bowl show there was a minor row in one of the sections that the recording immortalized when one fan shout at another to "Sit the fuck down!" or sg similar and I always liked that. It really crank me up everytime I hear that. I was in, - and who else were not in similar situations, - when some asshole were blocking others' view in order that he can gain more than what his purchased tickets offered. Typical concert experience. But at the same time it is the most suitable and a proper audience for a band like the Doors. Everyone one of us think the same but most of us would never do that at other shows.

And yeah, that Celebration of the Lizard is in my opinion is the best version caught on tape. Hands down. Strangely even that Tarzan sound never had the chance to ruin it (actually it was not one guy but a bunch of them at the same time). Jim recognized it naturally but also felt he won't let the experience to be ruined and just continued. Wisely. It became something I always listen to from the Felt Forum tapes either when I arrive back from the city a bit drunk and want to get over the shit I've been through or at other times when I want to hear Jim's very own art. It has all the elements working at its best that is called the Doors. Fuck Light My Fire. Catch Celebration from the Felt Forum. Even the audience gets silent completely after the beginning. Everyone got into it and by that, that band too.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

There's a funny moment during "Light My Fire" at the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival. It happens during the quiet section leading up to the final verse, when Jim would turn around and crouch forward. An audience member says "He's gonna puke." :lol:
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

Hahaha, I need to check that out :lol:
DalloLama

Post by DalloLama »

Haha never noticed that before. Nicely spotted!
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

Girl: Let Krieger do something
Guy: Shut the hell up
Jim: An angel from the wings

------

Jim: Hey, you remember traiiins
klaus radiola

Post by klaus radiola »

BallroomDays67 wrote:There's a funny moment during "Light My Fire" at the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival. It happens during the quiet section leading up to the final verse, when Jim would turn around and crouch forward. An audience member says "He's gonna puke." :lol:
:lol: :lol:
So now we know why both the Doors and Pennebaker pretend they don't have the Toronto 69 footage.
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Is there a bootleg of Phoenix '68? The one where Jim commented about the '68 presidential election and got the group banned from Memorial Coloseum? The Phoenix newspaper documented what was said but actually hearing it would be great.
You set the scene
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

Chicago '68:
Jim shouts, then says "This seems quite loud, I'd like to do this"
Audience member "Do it, do it, do it, do it"
Jim "Well, you, heh, how 'bout all the audience take their clothes off and let's stay where we are"
Audience member "Whatever you doin' man, I want it, come on"
Jim "Now really, really, love my girl"
It is always interesting when you hear that part.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

There's a few shows with some interesting interaction between Jim and the audience.

Seattle '70

Boston '70

Long Beach '70: Prior to The End and before Break On Through when Jim says he smells a familiar order.

Felt Forum '70: Before COTL when Jim tells the audience the show is being recorded and to get up on their chairs and shout very clearly. Before the 18th late show when Jim tells the audience they spend too much time in the restrooms.

Miami

Cleveland '68: Some of the best and funniest dialog between Jim and the audience.

Singer Bowl: some funny moments between audience members and during Light My Fire a girl yells "I love you!" and Jim replies, "I Love you too!"

Dallas '68: As Jim was singing Light My Fire, without missing a beat, he says "good catch" to someone in the audience.
Roughie

Re: Most Memorable Audience Moments

Post by Roughie »

Webber wrote:
Jim ''I don't know how many of you believe in Astrology...''
Girl ''You're a Sagittarius''...
Jim ''That's right baby... The most philosophical of all signs''
Girl ''I know! So am I!...''
Jim ''But anyway, I don't believe in it.''
Girl ''I don't either!''
Jim ''I think it's a bunch of bullshit!''
That is my fav.

As far as visual audience moments, it has to be the guy who appears at least at two different concerts. The guy with the blonde hair and glasses going "yeah" With either his fists pumping or clapping hands!
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
Hank Chinaski

Post by Hank Chinaski »

Two of my favolrites come from Miami. Early in the show when Jim says "Ain't no one gonna love my ass?" The enitre audience gasps as if it were the most offensive thing they have ever heard.

Later on, he says "What are you in the fifty cent section"? That got a much more positive repsonse.
StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

Jim: 'Just remember, their motto is protect and serve'

a voice in the audience: 'Fuck them!'
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

Yeah, that one is from Pittsburgh '70.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Aquarius '69

Woman in the audience: TOUCH ME!

(laughs)

Man in the audience: Crazy woman!
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Matrix... Audience politely applauds. LOL I dunno, it just reminds me of the old ladies applauding in Monty Python.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUxCCFfFIEw

(just felt like being silly)
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Relistened to Cleveland '68 for first time in a while and have a question. Trying to figure out the exact dialogue from Jim during the beginning of Five to One. That isn't the best recording and it might be JDM at his drunkest best. Anyone have a transcript of what exactly was said?

Side question: Who gave the interminable pre concert talk there? Local promoter?
You set the scene
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

The belch during Hollywood Bowl.
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
cutis

Post by cutis »

wha happened wrote: Long Beach '70: Prior to The End and before Break On Through when Jim says he smells a familiar order.
I think you meant, "odor" as opposed to "order." Jim was referring to the marijuana being smoked in the audience.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

lol, yes odor, good catch..order? wtf
AstroRunner

Post by AstroRunner »

Miami, "When The Music's Over".

About 13 minutes in, Jim interrupts the song for a 5 minute ramble, talking about how he was born in Florida (this snippet is used on the new Mojo Risin' DVD) and reiterates how he "Ain't talking 'bout no revolution..." etc. At least he doesn't do the Adolf Hitler gag again.

Near the end of the rap, he starts crooning "We're together" over and over. A member of the audience has had enough by now, and at about 18:06 calls out "Somebody else sing in (t)his f*****g place." Jim responds with "We want the same thing, don't we?" before finishing the end of the song.

Not funny or pleasant to listen to, but indicates how that at this point in the life of The Doors, Jim was tired of being a rock-star and wanted to pursue other artistic endeavours.