1969 April 28 NYC, PBS Television Studios, Critique show

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Buda

1969 April 28 NYC, PBS Television Studios, Critique show

Post by Buda »

Hi Vince,

There was another thread about this 4-5 years ago but you missed it for some reason, so I thought I should give a try.
I've been thinking about this performance the band pulled off after Miami and judging by the film we are lucky to have, it seems Jim was not really into the thing (only later, by time they arrived to the last song, the Soft Parade) I guess for various reasons, that could either be the aftermath of the first proceedings of Miami (on April 14 in LA) or other things, a big night out in NYC the night before? I'm curious if you could recollect anything specific that happened the day before that might count in this aspect, Jim's mood or even his opinion on the show Critique before or after filming, if it was an obligatory thing to do in the big space that Miami caused or else maybe... even the interview that followed with Richard Goldstein, a band favourite music journalist the following day.

Thanks again for your time and efforts!

"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
vince

Post by vince »

Hmm - We have an interesting situation.

There is an Acoustic Amp in the background. That means this was done after February 1968. John has a red carpet under his drums - that means this photo was taken after April 1968.

BUT - Ray has a Vox organ and he did not take that on the road after July 1967. It was unreliable and he did not like the tone compared to his Kalamazoo.

Are you certain of the origin of this frame?

In any case, I was not privey to that session. Why I am not sure I don't remember. I do recall being in New York. I wonder if they rented equipment?

OK, I can scratch my head and try to recall this event but at this moment - I am without comment.

I will say this - Jim was not a happy guy at that time. This was before the shows in Mexico, the first after Miami. The last thing in the world that Jim wanted was jail time in Dade County, or anywhere else for that matter. He was upset by the consequences of the bad publicity - calcellation of 20 performances, no air time, records pulled from stores and a lot of bad press stories all based on rumor. He was somewhat confounded at the whole affair. Yes, he was drunk, he did advocate nudity (Which several thousand took to heart) and he did take his shirt off. He also petted a little lamb and tossed a policeman's cap into the audience. Nothing really horrible about any of that. What is all the fuss about?

He was not happy. He was anxious, fearful. There was another factor - Several people were trying to get interviews to "Get the real Story". All were asking specifically about Miami. This was one granted and they hoped it would not be to sensationalize Miami, rather focus on the group, music and the like.

I can't really answer your question to your satisfaction. I am sorry about that.

Vince
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
lament of an indian

Post by lament of an indian »

Vince,

This picture of you and Jim seems to be from the same session as the picture above...

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh6nn ... o1_500.jpg

Does this help you remember anything?
i fucked up
Buda

Post by Buda »

Understandable, that you can not remember every detail after all these years.. (Years? Decades!) But what you can take granted is that this performance surely took place on Monday April 28, 1969 in NYC (broadcast May 23). Frank Lisciandro took this below photo of you and Jim so you must have attended either the rehearsal or the filming but again, not a big hole if we can't fill this out with your words as we have this film and Jim's face on it which is very much telling in a lot of sense plus the interview which took place the following day as I mentioned. Anyway thanks for taking the time answering at such a late time!

By the way, here's the film at hand, the last song The Soft Parade if it might help you to recall a thing or two..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TopyZdVefzI
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk