Dallas - December 1970

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

hardrockcafe

Dallas - December 1970

Post by hardrockcafe »

Hi Vince,

Would you care to share your recollections of the 2 shows in Dallas, Texas on December 11, 1970? What do you remember about the venue, the performances and the audience? How was the L.A. Woman material received in Dallas? Was Riders on the Storm played during the 2nd set? Is it possible any inline recordings of the two shows were made from the soundboard by a member of the Fair Park Music Hall? How would you compare Jim's performances in Dallas to New Orleans the following night? Is this the building in Dallas? Do you remember what hotel you and the band stayed at in Dallas or did you go directly to New Orleans? Did you do anything fun in Dallas before going on to New Orleans? (pics below from Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Hall_at_Fair_Park

Thanks!

vince

Post by vince »

Well, this is an interesting question. The contrast between the two performances was as night and day. In Dallas, there were two shows of course, in this lovely auditorium. Beautiful place, well equipped and fairly decent acoustics.

The first show went "Well". Htat is Jim did not attampt to strip, fall off stange, get overly drunk and did not do anything untoward that would shock the authorities into a frenzy of legal action. I hwo could I put this otherwise? Staid, constrained, Boring. The audience was so excited that many of them had to be awakened at the end of the performance. The second show was interesting. There were so many tickets sold for the second show that the promotor suggested that those who were awake, concious, or interested could stay for the second show.

Why was this so. I have no idea. Very few people came to the concert. We it constrained. Very much so. Jim was on probation. He knew that if he did anything like Miami or Isle of Wright again, the doors, as far as public performances were concerned, were definitely closed.

New Orleans - Play in a cotton warehouse. Terrible acoustics. Stage was good, strong. Of course we had out equipment so there was no question of being heard throughout the building. Against all instructions to the contrary, there was plenty of Boor. Jim, felt that, for some unknown reason, he was compelled, perhaps out of courtesy, to consume most of it. To be sure that there was none left over. When he came to the stage, he was intoxicated. I suppose crude words like "Drunk" smashed, blotto or similar ilk could address the situation appropriately as well. What could not be anticipated was his behavior. In fact he did sing, he didn't vomit on the Organ, Drums, ro Robby's clothes and guitar. He didn't fall off stage, nor did he fall down and to the dieing fish imitation. During light my fire he did sit down. It was during the rift in which Ray and Robby had a play-off. And Jim forgot the words to Light My Fire. He got up off the drum platform, picked up the center stage mic stand and using it like a sledge hammer decided that the stage needed ventilation. SO he smashed a hole in it. As the base went through the platform it broke off leaving the shaft in Jim's hands.

Now if any of you have a use for broken mic stands, you really should have informed Jim. However, since none of you provided Jim with an alternative, he threw the shaft, like a javalin, out into the audience. Why someone was not injured I still have not a clue. But having performed this Olympic feat, he walked off stage this ending his career as lead singer for The Doors. Let us draw the curtain of charity of what followed.

Actually, we had to pack up so I was not privy to what happened in the dressing room. I will suggest that we did not hear any screaming, yelling or those sickning sounds that are the result of fists hitting flesh and bone.

We left in the big Step Van. they left in a bad mood.

They returned to Los Angeles to complete the recording of LA Woman and that was it. Jim left for Paris and the Doors continued to prepare for Other Voices.

And that dear freinds, is the sad end to an illustrious career, a group, and their dedicated staff.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

Vince what behaviour of Jims at the Isle Of Wight upset the other band members?
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Thanks Vince!

Vince,

Do you remember any more details about the Dallas '70 gig? What Dallas hotel did you and the band stay at? Did you and the band hang out or eat together in Dallas? Is it possible that a soundboard recording of the two Dallas shows might exist? Did you record the Dallas show like you did Vancouver, Seattle and Bakersfield with the recorder the band gifted you? Did you take any photos or film at the Dallas shows? The only audio that has surfaced of these shows is just an audience recorded cassette of the first show. The cool thing about the Dallas gig is they jammed on long versions of LA Woman, Love Her Madly and The Changeling.
Last edited by hardrockcafe on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

An interior photo of Fair Park Music Hall. Does anyone have any photos of the band at the Dallas shows they can post here? Are there any color photos of the Doors playing in Dallas at either of the December 1970 shows? A pretty intimate venue.

Last edited by hardrockcafe on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Here's the front of the Dallas theater as it looked from 1925-1972 before the lobby and exterior renovations:

Here's how it looks today:

universalmind69

Post by universalmind69 »

this is the only color shot circulating, there are several more bw shots

gtyper

Post by gtyper »

I hate hearing about how dreadful those concerts were. Must have been so embarrassing for the rest of the group.

I remember seeing that Billy Bob radio interview where he prattled on like a spoiled brat ... and the aghast faces of his bandmates are what really stood out.
Buda

Post by Buda »

Here's in better quality (most shots don't has the real proportions)
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
universalmind69

Indeed, I see now that the one I posted is stretched and somewhat tampered with... too bad the only source is kinda altogether shitty anyway, would have been nice to have had a good quality scan....

I know the photographer, but does anyone remember where this shot was posted initially?

Good remembrances, Vince..... keep them coming!
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

This picture was taken from the stage. Does the photographer have more photos from the shows? Is Jampol aware of the photographer and are they including pics from the Dallas gigs in the L.A. Woman CD sets?
universalmind69

As far as what Ive been able to dig up it seems the photographer passed away back in early 2010, don't know as far as Jampol and the LAW release goes... there will be some other new photographic material in there though.

Does anyone remember the site these were posted on initially?
Buda

Post by Buda »

Hey Vince, I guess you would have remembered this below quoted aspect of the night but some already proven shittytalker called Stephen Davis wrote in his Doors bio the following and I thought I ask it anyway:

"During the finale, "Light My Fire," Jim tried to cavort around the stage, but he collapsed into Robby and both men crashed to the floor and almost fell off the stage. There was no encore."

Again, I guess you'd have told it, but do you able to recall anything similar happened that night on either set?

Also, he painted the following picture about the last night at the Warehouse and mentioned you as well in the story. I wonder how bad it is (how big a liar is SD)... thanks for your time to run through this. But be aware the John with his boot tossing Jim part is in there unfortunately.

"The next night, December 12, 1970, the Doors were booked into the Warehouse, New Orleans' famed electric ballroom. Jim looked somewhat abstracted as the band began with "Soul Kitchen," but he shouted out the lyric with conviction, and the full house settled in for what they thought would be a great show. Four songs in, Jim started to come apart. He tried to tell some lame jokes, and noone laughed. When the band got going again, he forgot the lyrics. Between the songs, he was lurching around as if he was having a seizure, and the big room got quite as the music-savvy crowd intuited that something was very wrong. Then in the middle of "Light My Fire," Jim Morrison died on stage. He stopped singing and stumbled to the drum riser and sat down. He missed his cue at the end of the guitar solo, unable to stand, so the band anxiously went through another instrumental cycle. When it was time for Jim to finish the song, John Densmore disgracefully rammed his boot in the middle of Jim's back and sharply pushed him upright. Standing again, shaking with anxiety and rage, Jim burst into a tormented fury. He grabbed the mike stand and began smashing itonto the stage floor, again and again, until the wooden planks began to splinter. The kids in front looked on in shock. then the mike stand broke in two. Jim only stopped when Vince Treanor walked out from behind the amps and laid a calming hand on his shoulder. Jim put his arms around Vince for support, and stood there, staring, breathing hard, while the Doors finished the song. Then Jim dropped the microphone and staggered the stage. The show was over. And so were the Doors. Everyone was deeply shaken by what had happened. ray Manzarek later said that he had witnessed an occult
process, the evaporation of Jim's life force, the dispersal of his chi. The band had been through almost every conceivable permutation of hard rock nightmares, but the abject horror of Jim's collapse in New Orleans now jolted them into a new awareness of reality. The limo ride back to the Pontchartrain Hotel was desolate. Jim tried to make small talk, but the others were silent. When Jim got out of the car, Ray said, "Okay. It's
finished." Before they flew back to Los Angeles the following day, the Doors and their handlers agreed to suspend concert performances. Jim Morrison never appeared on stage again."
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Thanks for posting the color Dallas 70 photo. I converted it to b/w and tweaked it a little to bring out some of the shadow detail:

hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Anyone have more photos from the Dallas 70 gigs?
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Buda wrote:Hey Vince, I guess you would have remembered this below quoted aspect of the night but some already proven shittytalker called Stephen Davis wrote in his Doors bio the following and I thought I ask it anyway:

"During the finale, "Light My Fire," Jim tried to cavort around the stage, but he collapsed into Robby and both men crashed to the floor and almost fell off the stage. There was no encore."

Again, I guess you'd have told it, but do you able to recall anything similar happened that night on either set?
So Jim falling into Robby happened during the 2nd Dallas set?
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

hardrockcafe wrote:This picture was taken from the stage. Does the photographer have more photos from the shows? Is Jampol aware of the photographer and are they including pics from the Dallas gigs in the L.A. Woman CD sets?
There's a slight possibility. Another photographer took black and white photos, some of which remain unpublished. I provided what contact info I had, so we'll see what happens...
Buda

Post by Buda »

hardrockcafe wrote:
Buda wrote:Hey Vince, I guess you would have remembered this below quoted aspect of the night but some already proven shittytalker called Stephen Davis wrote in his Doors bio the following and I thought I ask it anyway:

So Jim falling into Robby happened during the 2nd Dallas set?
That is still haven't confirmed yet so don't get too far with it but if so then yes as what we have is the first set which seems to be complete judging by its length (56mins).
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Found a circa 1966 photo (postcard) of the Dallas, Texas venue. This gives an idea of what "Music Hall at Fair Park" likely looked like circa 1970 when The Doors performed there.

hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

The interesting thing is the bootleg from the audience cassette says the location was "Dallas McFarlin Auditorium, State Fair Music Hall."

Below: bootleg cover art, stating incorrect auditorium (McFarlin)?

Here's a picture of McFarlin Auditorium. The problem is that it's on the SMU college campus and not in Fair Park. It's several miles away from Fair Park. So is McFarlin Auditorium incorrect? My guess it was not at SMU's McFarlin Auditorium, but instead at Fair Park Music Hall (also known as State Fair Auditorium)

Below: SMU's McFarlin Auditorium -- not even located in Fair Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McFarlin_M ... Auditorium

My guess is if the band had actually performed on a college campus at McFarlin, the 2nd Dallas show wouldn't have been so poorly attended. Also, I doubt a private college would allow the Doors to perform on campus at McFarlin after the Miami fiasco. So the bootleg claim that this was at McFarlin must be errant. Unless the auditorium at Fair Park was also called McFarlin?
Last edited by hardrockcafe on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Hi Vince,

Here are links to listen the audience cassette on YouTube from the first Dallas show on Dec. 11, 1970:

Love Her Madly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHFGnIshz8E

L.A. Woman (part 1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOTwcrQFjuw

L.A. Woman (part 2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E-y-vdeKKk

The Changeling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWGJUMky_SM
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

On the Mild Equator site, BallroomDays67 contributed this handbill promoting the concert. I think this handbill confirms that the venue could NOT have been McFarlin Auditorium (at SMU college) as the CD cover of the bootleg errantly claims. Instead the Dallas venue must have been the State Fair Music Hall (also known then as State Fair Auditorium). This facility is now known as the "Music Hall at Fair Park."

http://www.liveatthemusichall.com/

http://mildequator.com/performancehisto ... 01211.html

Here's an aerial view of the correct Dallas venue location: 909 1st Avenue Dallas, Texas 75210

Last edited by hardrockcafe on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Vince,

The Dallas Fair Park venue only sat a couple of thousand--quite a bit smaller than the venue they played in Dallas in 1968 (Memorial Auditorium). Did the band choose a small venue by choice in Dallas 1970 (for better acoustics), or was this just part of the reduced demand for their live shows after the Miami fallout? Seems like they must have been earning quite a bit less money for live shows after Miami.

So was this Dallas / New Orleans 1970 mini tour aimed at trying out L.A. Woman material before live audiences to test the material? Or did they go on the road because they needed the money? Or both?
Last edited by hardrockcafe on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
universalmind69

Neil Diamond apparently played two shows at McFarlin Auditorium on the very same night as The Doors appeared at "State Fair Music Hall".

"State Fair Music Hall" is most definetly the same venue as "Fair Park Music Hall" or as it was called in the 60s, going by the postcard you posted, the "State Fair Auditorium"
I'm guessing the auditorium houses more than the one hall? Thus making it all the more natural labeling it "State Fair Music Hall" = meaning the "Music Hall" inside of the "State Fair Auditorium" building

Fair question, you got me wondering a bit there as well :lol: Seems like the show got fairly decent reviews upon re-reading some of them.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

universalmind69 wrote:Neil Diamond apparently played two shows at McFarlin Auditorium on the very same night as The Doors appeared at "State Fair Music Hall".

"State Fair Music Hall" is most definetly the same venue as "Fair Park Music Hall" or as it was called in the 60s, going by the postcard you posted, the "State Fair Auditorium"
I'm guessing the auditorium houses more than the one hall? Thus making it all the more natural labeling it "State Fair Music Hall" = meaning the "Music Hall" inside of the "State Fair Auditorium" building

Fair question, you got me wondering a bit there as well :lol: Seems like the show got fairly decent reviews upon re-reading some of them.
Thanks! Can you post the Dallas 1970 reviews? There were 3 major papers in North Texas at that time: Dallas Morning News, Dallas Times Herald and Fort Worth Star Telegram. Did they each publish a review?
universalmind69

Sure, here's a couple

universalmind69

hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

universalmind69 wrote:Sure, here's a couple

Thanks!! - Are those both from Dallas Morning News? Heh, a Spring 1971 tour was planned. Looks like the New Orleans show put an end to that. Very cool that the contemporary review confirms that Riders on the Storm was DEFINITELY played in Dallas. If the audience cassette of the first show is complete, Riders must have been played during the 2nd show.

Have you tried the microfische archives at Dallas Public Library for Dallas Times Herald and Fort Worth Star Telegram? Those two papers were competitors of Dallas Morning News may have also reviewed the Doors show too. Possibly they included a photo from the concert in their potential review.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

universalmind69 wrote:Image
What publication is this one from?
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Vince,

This article (published prior to the Doors Dallas show), posted by universalmind69, explains why the 2nd show was so poorly attended. (You had referenced this earlier in the thread). The 2nd show was added at the last minute. The added show probably wasn't promoted properly due to time constraints.