Auction Sites

What Doors items do you have in your collection?

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Lauren

Auction Sites

Post by Lauren »

Does anybody know what auction sites are out there that are well known for Doors Memorabilia? besides ebay of course

I don't go on them often-- but was there a Christies list or something like that?

What are the top...ehhh maybe 5-6? I bought some photos from that SOCal consignment store and I want to see if there are any form some of the sets I got that I may have missed or not seen. I am guessing not....but worth a shot.. I hope?
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

The bigger auction houses can be a bit pricey but they've built up a reputation. On the flip side, places like the Rock n Roll Emporium, which was a small retail store really inflated their prices and selling things like the forged Liciandro photos didn't help their rep.

There's a couple galleries but they are as much as the auction houses. I have a place that deals directly with a few photographers and have a nice selection. They even tracked down a poster for me, it took about 6 months but they came through.
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

Guess I was not clear......

Not asking about R&R - asking about auction sites.

Can someone list some of the better auction sites where one can purchase memorabilia?
StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

Lauren wrote:Guess I was not clear......

Not asking about R&R - asking about auction sites.

Can someone list some of the better auction sites where one can purchase memorabilia?
well, for Titanic rarities Aldridge and Guernseys are the big auction houses.
What are you looking for?
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

The point is, those types of auction houses like Christies, Sothebys, gotthaveit, backstageauctions, Heritage...yoy are paying a lot more than it's worth. Sometimes there are some unique items...but still.

One of those places sold a contact sheet for $500. I got the same one from the photog for $50.
StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

wha happened wrote:The point is, those types of auction houses like Christies, Sothebys, gotthaveit, backstageauctions, Heritage...yoy are paying a lot more than it's worth. Sometimes there are some unique items...but still.

One of those places sold a contact sheet for $500. I got the same one from the photog for $50.
You got a bargain.
One reason items sold in big auction houses fetch big $$ is because they generate a great deal of publicity, and cater to an audience that tends to have money. A huge cutaway deckplan of the Titanic used in the British inquiry of the sinking (1912) recently sold at auction for around $250,000. Collectors pegged its value at most at about $50,000- but the auction generated huge publicity. Years ago when I was working at the Titanic artifact exhibit in St. paul, a collector had on loan a Titanic boarding pass from a 3rd class passenger. he paid a few grand but when he went to an auction house, it sold for $100,000.

I think as a buyer- Ebay is great- in many areas, the market is flooded in many areas of collectables, so you will seldom pay for an item on Ebay what you would pay for through an auction house.

It's really better to go straight to the sourse- buy your collectables from the collector, or photos from the photographer. That way you get rid of the competition, and the middleman.
I've bought Titanic rarities on Ebay or from the collectors for less than $100 , the equivilant of which I have seen sold for thousands at action...so the big name auction houses inflate prices.
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."