Forever Changes: Old Man

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

Forever Changes: Old Man

Post by silentseason »

"Old Man"
-Running time: 2:57
-Recorded: August 12, 1967 Western Recorders Hollywood
-Written by: Bryan MacLean
-Lead vocal, rhythm guitar: Bryan MacLean
-Lead guitar: Johnny Echols
-Bass: Kenny Forssi
-Drums: Michael Stuart
-Piano: Don Randi
-This was Bryan's only vocal offering for Forever Changes, and only his third (and last) recorded vocal with the group.
-This song was based on the "Troika" movement from famous composer Sergei Prokofiev's 'Lieutenant Kije Suite' from the 1934 Soviet film.
-In this song are traces fo the beginnings of Bryan's spiritual and christian recordings that he would pursue later on after he left the group. Bryan denied that the "Old Man" in the song was his father, insteading stating that it was just a generic wise elder man.
-This song almost did not make the cut for inclusion on Forever Changes. Bryan was not happy with the orchestration, instead preferring a more simple, direct folk song.
-Johnny almost sang lead. Bryan's pitch wasn't originally working within the technical limitations of Sunset Sound. They moved the recording over to Western Recorders (which had double the tracks of Sunset) and were able to make his voice work for the song.
-Michael's drumming consisted only of cymbals on this track.
-Quotable/myth buster: Would like to add a new wrinkle to this series when and where possible. Alot of false myths have followed the band and I hope to dispell them when appropriate. In this instance, the original incarnation of LoVE was a group in the truest sense, and not just sidemen complimenting Arthur as has been sometimes supposed. Johnny explains how songs would come to fruition:

"Arthur was always more of a keyboard player, than a guitarist. Back in 1964, I taught him a few chords, as did John Lucky. These were the basics, C_ E_ Em_A_ Am _F_ and G. For Arthur that seemed enough. He didn't want to put in the time, or effort required to become proficient on the instrument. In a kind of weird way, his lack of guitar skills, is what made it work for us. When a [group] of people are given cart blanche, to develop a song, you have a huge palate of idea's to draw from. He allowed Bryan, Kenny, and I, the freedom to create music and play chords, that we felt fit the song. Add to that, the exceptional rhythmic foundation that Michael laid, and you have a formula that worked. The outlines Arthur showed us, and the subsequent tracks, were often "light years" apart."

-IMHO: This is probably the least known of all of Forever Change's tracks, but that doesn't lessen it in the least. It was Bryan's most passionate vocal delivery of all his songs as he is really emphatic throughout, but especially in the mid-section.
-Fun fact: Perhaps 'Back In The USSR' would be a more apropos title for this song. Besides the Prokofiev influence, album orchestrator David Angel has Russian ancestory. Angel, in some ways the unofficial "sixth" member of LoVE for Forever Changes, was a renaissance man: a classical and jazz musician who earned his living by scoring TV and films in Los Angeles. He was recommended to album co-producer Bruce Botnick by Botnick's mother. His ability to translate Arthur and Bryan's visions to the strings and horns of Forever Changes is impossible to understate as far as importance.

-Lyrics:

I once knew a man
Been everywhere in the world
Gave me a tiny ivory ball
Said it would bring me good
Never believed it would until
I have been loving you

Dear old man
He'd seen most everything
Gave me a piece of good advice
Said it would do me well
I couldn't really tell until
I have been loving you

Now it seems
Things are not so strange
I can see more clearly
Suddenly I've found my way
I know the old man would laugh
He spoke of love's sweeter days
And in his eloquent way
I think he was speaking of you
You are so lovely
You didn't have to say a thing

But I remember that old man
Telling me he'd seen the light
Gave me a small brown leather book
Insisted that he was right
I only heard him slightly
'Til I heard you whisper
Took you up all in my arms

Dear old man
Wise old man
Fine old man, now
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

SOme very interesting & fun facts, John. Very nice.

What a great song indeed!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley