Forever Changes: Wonder People (I Do Wonder)

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

Forever Changes: Wonder People (I Do Wonder)

Post by silentseason »

"Wonder People (I Do Wonder)"
From: Forever Changes, Expanded Edition (2001), Deluxe Edition (2008)
-Running time: 3:15
-Recorded: August 11, 1967 Western Recorders Hollywood
-Written by: Arthur Lee
-Lead vocal: Arthur Lee
-Lead guitar: Johnny Echols
-Rhythm guitar: Bryan MacLean
-Bass: Kenny Forssi
-Drums: Michael Stuart
-This song was recorded during the Forever Changes sessions but ultimately not included on the original album. Another great song from the band that I believe is due more respect than to be just considered an album filler. I am unsure as to why it was excluded. Perhaps space issues, or maybe it was too bright compared to the rest of the album's dark themes, it is unsure. Ultimately it was Jac Holzman's decision to leave it off.
-This song is very different from Arthur's mindset at the time of the genesis of this album. I have to wonder what his motivation was for its lyrics. For some reason The Turtle's song "Happy Together" seems to stand out as a possible influence to me. Perhaps it was on the radio the day Arthur wrote it?
-Arthur redid this song for his Arthur Lee album in 1977 under the title "I Do Wonder". At that time it was a 'new' song as the Forever Changes version had not officially been released. Additionally he put out a song on the "Out Here" album(s) called 'I Still Wonder' which might be construed as a follow up to (then) unheard song.
-Quotable: Johnny gives his opinion and experiences with another great guitarist you might have heard of, Jimi Hendrix:

"Jimi was definitely influenced by Arthur's style of dress. The last time either of us saw him, before he became "The Jimi Hendrix." He was dressed like an old school R&B musician, ie. slicked down processed hair, and tight fitting suits. When we saw him at the Whiskey, he was dressed slightly hipper. It was only after visiting Arthur, and hanging with the group, that he began dressing really far-out, and he took it to a whole other level....

..... Both Arthur, and I would hang out together with Jimi, but he was more of a friend of Arthur's than mine. I wasn't all that impressed with him back then. He was always out of tune. From my perspective, he was more of a frustrated bass player than a guitarist. Though we did show each other a few chords. We never really traded any guitar licks. When we jammed together, Jimi just seemed rather predictable and way too loud. No dynamic range, just full out loud. Anyway if a lead guitar player didn't believe he could blow the other dude off the stage, he should put his axe away, and find another gig."

-Myth buster: The CD liner notes for the 'Four Sail' expanded version stated that had Arthur not got into his legal dilemma that the way was clear for a true LoVE reunion in the mid-90's. Michael quashes that theory:

"But actually after the year 1972 I wouldn't have been invited to participate in any Love reunion anyway, because that's when Tjay and I sued Arthur for past due royalties and won, so Arthur's not the kind to forgive and forget.

That's alright... I wouldn't have accepted the invitation anyway, even if I had been invited... and to prove it, I didn't accept (Arthur's manager) Gene Kraut's invitation to play Royal Festival Hall (the opening concert of the Forever Changes tour when Arthur got out of prison in what...2001?)"

-IMHO: If you are a completist then you probably want to get both expanded and deluxe versions of this CD. This song is subtly different on both versions, mainly in the vocals. The deluxe version is superior, with better background vocals and an echo-laden ending which is unique and adds nicely to this song.
-Fun fact: Birth places for members of LoVE: Memphis TN (Arthur and Johnny), Los Angeles (Bryan), Cleveland OH (Kenny), Switzerland (Snoopy), Texarkana AR (Michael), Compton CA (Tjay).

-Lyrics:

Stars are in the sky and,
I do wonder yeah,
Wonder who am I and,
Oh I do, ooh,
But I know it's true,
Just like I know you,
And if you realize,
The things you are hearing,
I am hearing,
La la la la la.

Birds are in the sky and,