Sound samples! - Butterfly @ Fillmore 1 month after Doors!

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

The sound of the Fillmore recording is very crisp. I think the two audio clips can be used as a resource for attempting to speed-correct Danbury and the Winterland '67 audience recordings.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

I'm gone a couple days and the clips are taken down.... anyone care to share, since I've not heard them?
Buda

Post by Buda »

I second that, please.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
universalmind69

Post by universalmind69 »

antero

Post by antero »

what about to post the sample provided over the Doors forum? maybe it can regain and take attention to push Jeff in a plan to add the overdubs and release.....you are great creating the threads facts hardrockcafe.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Actually that is not a good idea and will in fact do more harm than good. Once we get a firm date and tracklist on the LAW set, and more info on the Fog-Matrix releases...then hound Jeff about getting this one released.
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

Thanks for the sample. Very good quality. I hope Fillmore will be released.
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

Porsche wrote:It's worth mentioning that the vocals on that clip aren't from the show. They're from the Endless Night Tape (i.e. same recording where Jim talks about seeing dead Indians on the highway). Jim is talking about the Monkees' movie, "Head."

I've got multitracks for some Doors songs as well as the split channels from Perception and the Quadraphonic 'Best Of The Doors' from a reel-to-reel source. I could probably sync the drum/bass tracks from them to the songs on the Fillmore tape. (LMTT especially. The drums were heavily miked.) It wouldn't be perfect, but it'd be quicker than waiting for John and Ray to get in the studio.
'could you expand on the 'endless night tape' please? you mean the recording with Paul Ferrara released on the JDM scrapbook?
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
John Ryder

Post by John Ryder »

Bad Idea Jeans.
antero wrote:what about to post the sample provided over the Doors forum? maybe it can regain and take attention to push Jeff in a plan to add the overdubs and release.....you are great creating the threads facts hardrockcafe.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Porsche wrote:It's worth mentioning that the vocals on that clip aren't from the show. They're from the Endless Night Tape (i.e. same recording where Jim talks about seeing dead Indians on the highway). Jim is talking about the Monkees' movie, "Head."
This explains my first impression about the clip seems to be from some sort of studio session. That's probably not the case since this from what I deduce it's from some Frank Lisciandro (or Paul Ferrara?) home recording. Like the recording of Cinematheque.
So, actually there's no Fillmore clip here. :?
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

John Ryder wrote:Bad Idea Jeans.
antero wrote:what about to post the sample provided over the Doors forum? maybe it can regain and take attention to push Jeff in a plan to add the overdubs and release.....you are great creating the threads facts hardrockcafe.
Anyway it's was probably not a good idea to post the clip in this open thread. In the same line of thinking concerning what James said a few hours ago in another thread about some D. Jakob's photos, once some restricted access stuff starts to circulate, we cannot prevent anymore where it ends.
universalmind69

Drawing a comparison between photos that have already been published and a sb recording that is very much in tight "circulation" (I don't even know if that's the right word in this case...) and has yet to be release in any way, shape or form doesn't really work.

And from what I can tell it's the instrumental backing that's supposed to be sourced from the Fillmore recording, the vocals are simply addded as some kind of "protection".
I can't really see what harm it does to have this 8 second clip up here in this open part of the forum... who's going to use it and for what?
universalmind69

Posting the clip on the LL is another thing of course, nothing good would come out of that one... especially not at this point in time.
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

ive already burnt it to disc and im selling it on ebay

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

anytimecowboy wrote:ive already burnt it to disc and im selling it on ebay
200 bucks neil? c'mon
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Does it come with a sticker?
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
universalmind69

Roughie wrote:
+ no tracklist/info on contents whatsoever, no actual promise of actually ever receiving the disc, $49.99 in shipping costs and an awesome etching? I'm going for the BIN!
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

universalmind69 wrote:
Roughie wrote:
+ no tracklist/info on contents whatsoever, no actual promise of actually ever receiving the disc, $49.99 in shipping costs and an awesome etching? I'm going for the BIN!
Count me in!
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

anytimecowboy wrote:'could you expand on the 'endless night tape' please? you mean the recording with Paul Ferrara released on the JDM scrapbook?
During the filming of HWY, while the guys (Jim, Frank, Paul, Babe) were all hanging out at the motel after filming, they taped their conversations. It's been dubbed "The Endless Night Tape" for some reason and it's where the clip from the Scrapbook/AP came from. Not sure how much exists or if it was recorded over more than one day/night.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

As for the Endless Night tape, I've only got what came with the scrap book. I was told maybe 3 hours exists?

The Filmore clip is a few seconds of the band playing Crawlin King Snake. The Piano Bass plods very quietly in the background. I can't even hear the drums bleeding through.
Buda

Post by Buda »

Porsche wrote:
anytimecowboy wrote:'could you expand on the 'endless night tape' please? you mean the recording with Paul Ferrara released on the JDM scrapbook?
During the filming of HWY, while the guys (Jim, Frank, Paul, Babe) were all hanging out at the motel after filming, they taped their conversations. It's been dubbed "The Endless Night Tape" for some reason and it's where the clip from the Scrapbook/AP came from. Not sure how much exists or if it was recorded over more than one day/night.
Unfortunately I don't have the scrapbook but is the mentioned clip is track 2 on the CD? Also, is there any other leaked/available parts around from "The Endless Night Tape"?

Track 1: Kingdoms Of Our Own (poem)
Track 2: The Indian and the Coyote (story)
Tracks 3-23: Excerpts from the Salli Stevenson interview for Circus Magazine, October 1970
Tracks 24-43: Excerpts from Ben Fong-Torres's interview, February 1971
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

"The Indian And The Coyote" is an extended/uncut version of the dead Indians on the highway story used on An American Prayer and in HWY. Sounds like it was recorded the same day they filmed the dying coyote in the middle of the road. You can listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gOgSDi4bjY

No other portion of The Endless Night Tape circulates. Again, this might have been recorded on a different day than the rest of the tape.
Buda

Post by Buda »

Thanks Len for the info. Never ever heard about this Endless Night Tape. Seems, besides Cinematheque and the '70 December poetry night there's another gem sitting, shelved away from us. Whatta conversation they could have. Not with an interviewer, but with friends. That would be hilarious to listen to. Maybe too much and that's why it's kept unreleased.
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

Porsche wrote:"

No other portion of The Endless Night Tape circulates. Again, this might have been recorded on a different day than the rest of the tape.
except for the snippet on the link posted here?

anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

so one in the same person has a copy of the Fillmore tape, the endless night tape and Id guess the Cinemathique tape?

djonez

Post by djonez »

I think we all feel different about "hoarders" after the doors bootlegged the matrix shows. Too bad sonny bono lobbied so well and got copyright extended. We might have seen a lot of releases in the next few years. Ah well the good thing is that we can still be exited when the doors release the matrix in 20 years from now. :/
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

I never mentioned hoarding, I only wondered. Im sure more than one person has a copy of those. Its just interesting whats out there

djonez

Post by djonez »

Didn't mean to imply did you did. I for one never understood why a lot of tapers didn't circulate their recordings. When the doors bootlegged the matrix that changed my perception. Hence the " "
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

I picked up this new Butterfly release. I photographed the liner notes. Thought folks might find the description of the 4 track tapes interesting, as The Doors were likely recorded in a similar fashion a month earlier. My guess is Fillmore had a couple of 4 tracks for overlapping recording on offer to record labels to record their acts for a fee.

The Butterfly was recorded in this track configuration according to the liner notes:

Track 1: vocals
Track 2: guitar
Track 3: organ
Track 4: drums and bass

From my listening it appears no effort was made to mic the audience so you apparently only hear applause from the bleed through of stage mics...

Anyway, here are the liner notes about the 4 track tapes.

hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

BTW, the recording quality of the Fillmore Butterfly tapes is excellent. I sure hope the Doors tapes surface someday.