Post-Morrison Albums Official Release Downloads?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

anytimecowboy

Post-Morrison Albums Official Release Downloads?

Post by anytimecowboy »

'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

Why would these be on general release on amazon etc but not throught the doors.com?
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

The sound quality is a lot better than the CD bootlegs I've heard sourced from either an LP or tape/reel. I'd guess these are indeed official releases of some kind. Too bad they're mp3s and there's no "Treetrunk"!

Amazon (US) Links:

http://www.amazon.com/Other-Voices/dp/B005NYKMN8
http://www.amazon.com/Full-Circle/dp/B005O6THSQ
LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE

Post by LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE »

Has Botnick or Jampol made any statement regarding these mp3s?
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

i would like to see a cd release of them
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
JuanTCB

Post by JuanTCB »

Both albums are up on Spotify, too.

They sound pretty amazing - I'd say from tapes, not a needledrop.
The Royal Sperm

they finally found them?

does anybody asked this to jeffrey? or published the links on the LL?
www.KatRecords.com
AK

Post by AK »

Whoa.

This is interesting. Nice sound and they're not all sped up like the bootleg that everyone has. Would love these on CDs, but I'll take the downloads for now.

edit: a 3 disc set with the two albums (with singles and b sides) and a barebones dvd of the beat club performance would probably be too much to ask for, wouldn't it? Toss it in some small digipack and charge $25 for it. It would be a nice way to get 3 things out under the cover of 1 release and they really wouldn't have to do another post-jim release ever.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

AK wrote: edit: a 3 disc set with the two albums (with singles and b sides) and a barebones dvd of the beat club performance would probably be too much to ask for, wouldn't it? Toss it in some small digipack and charge $25 for it. It would be a nice way to get 3 things out under the cover of 1 release and they really wouldn't have to do another post-jim release ever.
If Warner is having difficulty justifying an expansive LA Woman set, it is unlikely deluxe treatment will be given to the post-Morrison albums.
The Royal Sperm

where i can download them? :mrgreen:
www.KatRecords.com
MajorMojo

Post by MajorMojo »

JuanTCB wrote:Both albums are up on Spotify, too.

They sound pretty amazing - I'd say from tapes, not a needledrop.
Weren't they from one of the other musicians"bass player" have a backup copy of the albums? The Doors "lost" their stereo masters and mulititracks apparently.
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

I posted here once a rip from a fresh un-played (I opened it as it was still sealed) first pressing LP of Other Voices. I thought it sounded pretty good. Anyone take advantage of that download?
The Royal Sperm

i would like to listen that, anybody archived it?
www.KatRecords.com
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

I just bought both albums and downloaded all the tracks to my ITunes. They sound great !! Definitely better than other sources. I had seen these awhile ago and was going to buy them and then forgot. I must admit I'm curious as to how Amazon can sell them if they're not official releases. Anyway I'm going to keep them in my ITunes and put them on cds as well. :D
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

MysticHeatedWine wrote:I must admit I'm curious as to how Amazon can sell them if they're not official releases.
They are official releases.
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

Here's Other Voices (again) from a mint unplayed first pressing LP I bought in Hollywood 8-9 years ago.
Both sides are one continuous track with no breaks between the songs.

http://thedoorsmusic.net/OVside1

http://thedoorsmusic.net/OVside2
The Royal Sperm

Thanks Dan! i'll DL later!

btw, i'm not interested in the analogue sets, i just want to joke in the LL :mrgreen:
www.KatRecords.com
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

The Royal Sperm wrote:Thanks Dan! i'll DL later!

btw, i'm not interested in the analogue sets, i just want to joke in the LL :mrgreen:
Ok man. :wink:

BTW, I see those are now available for pre-order. I'm thinking of buying a few of the LP's.
Each LP is 2 discs at 45 RPM and 200 gram Vinyl.
The Royal Sperm

TheDoorsMusic wrote:
The Royal Sperm wrote:Thanks Dan! i'll DL later!

Ok man. :wink:

BTW, I see those are now available for pre-order. I'm thinking of buying a few of the LP's.
Each LP is 2 discs at 45 RPM and 200 gram Vinyl.
i can take that analogue sets instead the 5CD l.a.woman box! it's always refreshing listen the same releases in different formats ;)
www.KatRecords.com
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

TheDoorsMusic wrote:Here's Other Voices (again) from a mint unplayed first pressing LP I bought in Hollywood 8-9 years ago.
Both sides are one continuous track with no breaks between the songs.

http://thedoorsmusic.net/OVside1

http://thedoorsmusic.net/OVside2
Thanks, Dan.

Analog RULES!!

:wink:

We love our vinyl, don't we.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

Yes we do! Vinyl all the way.

:D
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Thanks for sharing, Dan. Looking forward to hearing this. But there are no file tags on the end of these. Are they .zip files?

Edit: Figured it out. They're FLAC files. Thanks again! Sounds really nice.
avp2029

Post by avp2029 »

The Royal Sperm wrote:they finally found them?

does anybody asked this to jeffrey? or published the links on the LL?
I made a thread about it on LL several weeks ago, including asking Jeff about the sources, but unsurprisingly I have not gotten a response.
"It's still alive inside of me" - Little Steven
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

I asked Bruce Botnick about the source of the iTunes release and he confirmed they still have the masters: "As far as OV or FC, I co-produced Other Voices with Robby, Ray and John. We have the masters for both albums in our vault. Rhino/Elektra/WMG has analogue copies and prepared the digital masters that are now on iTunes."

So it seems The Doors still have the masters, but for some reason, a vinyl transfer was used for "Tightrope Ride" on the 1997 box set. I think Jampol is the one who said the masters were missing at one point. Maybe they only recently rediscovered them?
MajorMojo

Post by MajorMojo »

Porsche wrote:I asked Bruce Botnick about the source of the iTunes release and he confirmed they still have the masters: "As far as OV or FC, I co-produced Other Voices with Robby, Ray and John. We have the masters for both albums in our vault. Rhino/Elektra/WMG has analogue copies and prepared the digital masters that are now on iTunes."

So it seems The Doors still have the masters, but for some reason, a vinyl transfer was used for "Tightrope Ride" on the 1997 box set. I think Jampol is the one who said the masters were missing at one point. Maybe they only recently rediscovered them?
I thought it was the multitracks that were missing.
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

I haven't streamed the official sources all the way through, but I noticed that on Get Up and Dance and some other song from FC that there are some digital anomalies present.
DalloLama

Post by DalloLama »

I noticed that Venetta Fields sang backing vocals on Full Circle. She is pretty well known here in Australia, she moved here from the US in the early 80s I think, anyway I emailed her about working with the Doors and she said she can't remember a thing. Great, lol.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

DalloLama wrote:I noticed that Venetta Fields sang backing vocals on Full Circle. She is pretty well known here in Australia, she moved here from the US in the early 80s I think, anyway I emailed her about working with the Doors and she said she can't remember a thing. Great, lol.
I would imagine anyone associated with Full Circle would have wanted to forget the details as soon as humanly possible.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Porsche wrote:I asked Bruce Botnick about the source of the iTunes release and he confirmed they still have the masters: "As far as OV or FC, I co-produced Other Voices with Robby, Ray and John. We have the masters for both albums in our vault. Rhino/Elektra/WMG has analogue copies and prepared the digital masters that are now on iTunes."
The Botnick oracle speaks! But seriously though, if we parse Botnick's language, is he in fact saying that the iTunes versions are sourced from analog copies and that the original masters in the Doors vault were not used to prepare the iTunes sources? Thus the iTunes is not from the master tapes, which do exist? WTF?
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

I took Botnick's comments to mean they still have the multis and that the label used an (older?) analog mixdown for the digital release rather than working with Botnick and going directly to the masters. Might explain why Jeff has been mum on the subject. Maybe they did it without The Doors' full approval? (Not sure how those things work between the band and the label.) The iTunes release still sounds better than previous versions. I noticed a little flutter during "Get Up And Dance." I wonder if that's due to damage on the analog copy? Also noticed the Russian release has the left/right channels swapped.

Edit: I think I can actually hear the same flutter on the Russian release. It's just not as pronounced as on the iTunes version which probably comes from a superior transfer of the same analog mixdown used for the vinyl albums.