Bill Graham

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Stuart

Bill Graham

Post by Stuart »

Vince, With Bill Graham being the producer.(am i right? im sure he was the producer) During the making of the movie, did he ever talk with you and remark how he thought it was going?.
vince

Producer

Post by vince »

I believe you are refering to the second movie that was or is being made. I understand that Bill is eind the project. If so, I assume it will be a lot more realistic and honest than the first attempt 16 years ago.

I worked with Bill on several occasions. I have the highest regard for him as a person and business man. I will say without hesitation that Bill was firs, considerate of the group, their needs and comforts and second he always understood the enormous task that those who supported the group had and did everything possible to make that job easier.

The one thing he demanded from performar and support team alike was professionalism and respect for the audience who, after all, paid the bills and made Bill a rich man.

I regret not being a part of this second movie. It would have been an absolute pleasure and honor to work once more with Bill, as well as the Boys in the Band.

In his fare well speech, McCarthur spoke of his memories returning always to "The corps, the Corps, The corps. And for me it is - The Doors, The Doors, The Doors.

Ah, sweet days gone by, how memories fly. and always, why, oh why?
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Sorry to be the one to tell you, Vince, but Bill Graham was killed in a helicopter crash in 1991.
Dick Wolf (behind the Law & Order TV family) is doing this new one.
vince

Bill Graham

Post by vince »

I am really sorry to hear of that tragedy. I met Bill on December 26th at Winterland. I worked with him for 3 nights during our first tour. I worked with him several times thereafter, with and without the Doors.
Had things gone sour with the Doors - I am talking about Bill having his ultimate wish - I would have been happy to work with Bill.

He was a sincere, honorable, pleasant man. He treated everyone with respect as long as your deserved it. He was fair in his dealings. I am sure there was another side to Bill. We all have those closets. But from my enounters with than man, he was probably one of the best. if not top man in the industry.

Bill did not pay outrageous fees. But then he kept his ticket prices low. But he always paud and that was more than some promotors could say.

Perhaps Bill did provide some of the money for the first movie. I don't know. But if he did, I am sure the results were not gratifying.

I am really sorry to hear of his death. The industry lost a good man, musicians lost a friend and champion and the audiences lost a person who believed they should have good entertainment without having to sell their mothers to pay for the tickets.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors