This week in (original) LoVE history...

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

This week in (original) LoVE history...

Post by silentseason »

Back with another proposed series. It might be interesting to have a regular reminder of what occured with the band during their time together and thus am going to try to do a weekly entry. This will mostly be concerts and recording sessions. There will probably be nothing new, and they will be generally limited to a sentence or two, but hopefully this is something that might be of interest. Opinions and/or corrections/additions are welcomed.

In the week of October 17-23:

October 19th: Band begins a 12 day residency at the Whisky A Go-Go, ostensibly to premier the recently completed but not yet released Da Capo. Michael briefly comments on these shows:

"It was always fun to play The Whisky...small room made for good acoustics, always packed, plus we were in practice from having just recorded the album (Da Capo). Everybody was getting along. Those shows were a good time for the band." (1966)

October 20th: Concert at Whisky A Go-Go (1966)

October 21st: Concert at Whisky A Go-Go (1966)

October 22nd: Concert at Whisky A Go-Go (1966)

October 23rd: Concert at Whisky A Go-Go (1966)
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Very good!

This will be fun to watch.... " on this day in Love History....".....will be very cool.

Just wish we had film footage! Or at least ONE early concert tape! Doors fans don't know just how lucky they are sometimes!!

:mrgreen:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Very cool! This should be another great series.
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For the week of October 24-30:

October 24th: Concert at Whisky A Go-Go (1966)

October 25th: Concert at Whisky A Go-Go (1966)

October 26th: Concert at Whisky A Go-Go (1966). LA Times critic Digby Diehl writes a highly complimentary piece on the band published today. He comments on their new "jazz-rock" sound as a "hypnotic melange".

October 27th: Concert at Whisky A Go-Go (1966)

October 28th: Concert at Whisky A Go-Go (1966)

October 29th: Concert at Whisky A Go-Go (1966)

October 30th: Concert at Whisky A Go-Go (1966)
This is the final night of the 12 day Da Capo premier run at the Whisky. A possible set list for these nights might have been as follows (not in any particular order): My Flash On You, My Little Red Book, Signed DC, Softly To Me, 7 and 7 Is, Stephanie Knows Who, Orange Skies, She Comes In Colors, and John Lee Hooker/Revelation. These were also the first concerts of the 7 member LoVE line-up, with Tjay and Michael making their live debuts with the band during this run. A strong argument could be made that this stand was the apex of live performances for the band in its history.

Signs of the times; during this week that LoVE played at the Whisky:

Music: Number one song during this week: 96 Tears, ? and the Mysterians
Sports: Baltimore Orioles just finished sweeping the LA Dodgers in the World Series (wonder if Bruce Botnick was watching?)
Vietnam: Negotiations on the Vietnam War begin in Manila, Philippines. It would take another six and a half years before an accord would be signed in Jan '73.
TV/Movies: Top TV shows: Bonanza, Red Skelton, Andy Griffith. Just released movie: Georgie Girl.
You set the scene
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For the week of October 31 -November 6:

If you know anything about the band, then you probably know that they did not tour or play as much as some other bands, and there will be weeks where there are no or few documented gigs. This is one of them. In instances such as this, I will lean somewhat on "Date uncertain" for events that happened near to the week in question to help fill in for an uneventful week.

Concert November 1966-date uncertain. UCLA Homecoming dance Grand Ballroom. UCLA football played home games versus Air Force on October 29, 1966 and Stanford on November 12, 1966 (for all you Bruin fans UCLA went 9-1 that year). I'm guessing one of these two would have been homecoming, probably the Stanford game. Thus I would put the UCLA show somewhere in the November 12 range. Notable in that a review of the concert observed that Snoopy was bearly (if at all) audible from the keyboards, a possible harbinger of his upcoming dismissal from LoVE. Also of note was that this was the only pure college gig that the band ever played.

Release: Album-Forever Changes, recorded the previous summer, was released in November 1967. It would only chart as high as #154 during its initial release. Rather than rehash its greatness, perhaps the pertinent point to bring up in this context is the timing of its release. Could it have done better if it had perhaps been released after Christmas? Probably, but not much better. There wasn't sufficient promotion for it and the songs aren't easy for a casual listener to get into. Regardless, I would loved to have been in the LA area at this time to have seen the LoVE billboard and get the newly released album with fresh anticipation.
You set the scene
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For the week of November 7-13:

November 7 Concert at Santa Monica Civic Auditorium (1969). This is the ill-fated and short-lived "reunion" concert for the original band and as such is important in that it is in a way the last concert ever given by LoVE. Suffice to say that it was an unsuccessful venture. The origins of its being attempted had to do with LoVE's new label, Blue Thumb. The label wanted the Forever Changes band to get back together and tour in hopes that it would spur sales of the soon to be released Out Here album that Arthur recorded with other musicians (one can only guess how the Four Sail/Out Here version of LoVE must have felt being essentially unceremoniously discarded). The unresolved problems that led to the dissolution of the original band were still in play, and this concert is a sad coda to the band's live appearances. Johnny and Kenny were still having addiction problems, and Arthur was attempting to try for a new percentage deal that gave him more money than in the previous contracts. And most importantly Bryan did not play. This was to be the kickoff concert for a proposed tour of England; it did not come about with the original LoVE and the band never played together again.

Quotable- Johnny on the gig:

"Arthur finally realized that Love were in fact a group, consisting of Bryan, Kenny, Michael, Johnny, and himself. Where the original group would routinely fill rather large venue's, such as the Earl Warren Show Grounds, or the Fillmore Auditorium. His new group found it difficult to draw even a hundred people to the Whiskey. After several ill-fated outings, it was obvious the interest was just not there. They were often dissed in the press, and called "ham fisted impostors". Also the Record Companies were not happy about the lineup change. They were not looking for another predictable R&B act. An embarrassed Arthur, soon had had enough, and decided to get the original group back together.

All of the members, except Bryan, got together to play a "Warm-up" show at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Bryan Chose to take this opportunity, to demand more of his songs be added to the set. Both Arthur and I said no, so he stayed home.

The show sounded great, the guys were playing better than ever, it would have been considered a success for any other group. But for us something was missing, that something was Bryan. The [magic] was not there. We just did not have the same sparkle, the give and take. The laughter and the kidding was gone. And so was the audience connection. Things had changed that quickly. Making an unhappy situation worse, Arthur had surrounded himself with people we did not know, or like. All things considered, it just wasn't the same. Over the next few weeks we talked it out, went back and forth, and finally decided to go our separate ways.

The sad part of it is, we could have worked it out. I'm absolutely certain that if I had been more together, and less consumed with "Chasing the Dragon. I could have kept this group of people, who were so much a part of each others lives, from making a mistake, we all came to regret !"
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Thanks for this new post, John. You made my Monday!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For the week of November 14-20:

November 18 Concert at Hullabalo (1966)

November 19 Concert at Hullabaloo (1966)

-At one of these shows a great loss occured. The show was being filmed for a documentary with a 16mm camera; however Arthur, in the middle of John Lee Hooker/Revelation during Tjay's solo, was bothered by the cameras presence and took the camera away from the operator, threw it backstage and later had the film destroyed. Whether any film survived or not is unknown; however none has ever been glimpsed by the general public.

-The Seeds were the opening act for one or both of these shows.

-Puportedly Johnny was sick with the flu for the November 19 show and did not play. Instead a member from Michael's previous band (Sons Of Adam) Randy Holden filled in.

-Michael on a non-LoVE experience at the Hullabaloo from later '66:

"The most memorable concert I ever attended was The Everly Brothers Concert at The Hullabaloo in late-'66, I believe. They were sandwiched in between several other memorable concerts at the same club during the period when Dave Hull had bought the lease on the old Moulan Rouge (home of the TV game show Queen For A Day") turned it into a non-alcoholic nightclub and commenced to book some of the groups to come from England during the British Invasion, including The Yardbirds and P.J. Proby.

But The Everly Brothers were stunning in their perfection, working off one microphone, their gorgeous harmonies and stunning musicianship just blew everybody away. That's the first time I ever saw Jim Gordon play. He was their drummer."
You set the scene
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For the week of November 21-27:

November 23 Concert at San Jose Civic Auditorium (1966)

-Also appearing on the bill were the hometown Chocolate Watchband and The Leaves, among others. Johnny on the Chocolate Watchband:

"The Chocolate Watchband, were a very good live group. I enjoyed listening to them, those guys were serious. And the crowd loved them."

and on an experience in San Francisco where LoVE was actually picketed:

"I remember once playing at Winterland, and a bunch of people were actually picketing us. Because they didn't think they should have to pay, to see Love. They felt music belonged to the people, and should be free. "

-Fun fact: Average cost of some items from this time:

New house- $14,000
New car- $2,500
Gallon of gas- $0.32
Ticket price to a LoVE concert- $2-$5 depending on venue
Last edited by silentseason on Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You set the scene
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

The San Jose show actually took place on the 23rd. What a show that must have been!
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

BallroomDays67 wrote:The San Jose show actually took place on the 23rd. What a show that must have been!
You are absolutely correct, Bally. That was a sloppy job on my part. Entry corrected. I will be more dillegent for future entries; maybe the Thanksgiving holidays threw me off my game? :? Many thanks.
You set the scene
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For the week of November 28-December 4:

December 2 Concert at Fillmore West San Francisco (1966)

December 3 Concert at Fillmore West San Francisco (1966)

December 4 Concert at Fillmore West San Francisco (1966)

-Also appearing on the bill were Moby Grape and Lee Michaels.

-Johnny offers this on Moby Grape and a Fillmore experience:

"I liked Moby Grape personally. I would see Skip in Hollywood so often, that I didn't really think of them as a San francisco group. Jerry Garcia was really an excellent guitarist. He joined in with us at the Fillmore one night, when Tjay had the place rocking. What a great memory, Tjay was in the zone! Jerry reminded me of Frank Zappa, both of them were "explorers" who pushed the boundary's and often did the unexpected. That was such a wonderful time to be a musician....So many great players, with so much to say!!
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

silentseason wrote:For the week of November 28-December 4:

"I liked Moby Grape personally. I would see Skip in Hollywood so often, that I didn't really think of them as a San francisco group. Jerry Garcia was really an excellent guitarist. He joined in with us at the Fillmore one night, when Tjay had the place rocking. What a great memory, Tjay was in the zone! Jerry reminded me of Frank Zappa, both of them were "explorers" who pushed the boundary's and often did the unexpected. That was such a wonderful time to be a musician....So many great players, with so much to say!!
Bill Graham recorded everything! We can only hope a tape of this will surface....SOON!!!!

Would that be a find of the first importance for Love fans?!! The classic lineup of LA's number one band at the time!

-Aldous Huxley
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

jamestkirk wrote:
silentseason wrote:For the week of November 28-December 4:

Bill Graham recorded everything! We can only hope a tape of this will surface....SOON!!!!

Would that be a find of the first importance for Love fans?!! The classic lineup of LA's number one band at the time!
With Xmas coming soon if there is a Santa I would only humbly request a soundboard recording from Da Capo era LoVE, complete with full rendition of John Lee Hooker. In exchange I will gladly give up any claims to X boxes, HD TV's, IPads or any other hot item. Is that asking too much?

Jtk-Glad you are partially back and hope you are on the mend.
You set the scene
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For the week of December 5-11:

December 9 Concert at Santa Monica Civic Auditorium (1966)

-Notable partial concert, but not by the band's choice. LoVE was into their set when the power went out and the rest of the concert was cancelled. Purportedly even without power Arthur could still be heard, dropping a loud F-bomb at his frustration with the electrical problems.

-Also on the bill were The Turtles, recently departed Byrd Gene Clark, The Seeds, The Standells and The Count Five. This is a lineup from top to bottom that was something I would have loved to have seen.
You set the scene
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For the week of December 12-18:

December 15 Concert at Blue Law, Torrance CA (1967)

December 16 Concert at Blue Law, Torrance CA (1967)

December 17 Concert at Blue Law, Torrance CA (1967)

-Opening act for these shows was Canned Heat.

-The reputation for not working that dogged the band during the latter part of its existance and played a big part in its demise is revealed in this stat: the last previous live performance by LoVE prior to these shows was on June 24, a span of 173 days without playing a live gig. Michael comments on musical chemistry when not playing together much:

"The chemistry I developed with Bryan and Johnny and Kenny and Arthur probably wasn't as profound as it would have been if, either, 1.) I had been been with the group from the beginning, or, 2.) we had played more often after I joined. I would say, as a rough estimate, 80% of the live gigs I played with Love were in the first 6 months after I joined. So, that's not very good.

It's really hard to develop a musical chemistry if you don't play, or ... "generally speaking, the more often musicians play together (especially live onstage in front of an audience) the better the opportunity for a musical chemistry to develop between them." That's Michael's Law of Musical Chemistry."

-Reportedly the last ever performance of Revelation/John Lee Hooker occured during these shows. Unfortunately Arthur and Johnny used the song as a way to mock the head bobbing stage act of Canned Heat. Somewhat of a sad end for a great live number.
You set the scene
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For the week of December 19-25:

December 23 Concert Pasadena Civic Auditorium Folk Rock Festival, Pasadena CA (1966)

December 24 Concert Hullabaloo, Los Angeles CA (1966)

December 25 Bryan MacLean dies of a heart attack at age 52 in Los Angeles in the midst of giving an interview (1998)

-For the Pasadena show it appears that Tjay and Snoopy were no longer a part of LoVE and thus did not perform at this venue with the band.

-The December 24 Hullabaloo concert almost assuredly did not happen. Michael mentioned it in the liner notes of the deluxe CD issue of Da Capo, but there is no documented proof to verify this. More likely he was referring to the November 18-19 1966 shows at the Hullabaloo.

-Obviously tragic occurance will always mar Christmas Day for LoVE fans; here are some contemporary articles on Bryan's death which are notable for some of the false myths about the band.

http://elvispelvis.com/ bryanmaclean.htm
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

A sad day for Love fans....R.I.P. Bryan.

-Aldous Huxley
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For the week of December 26-January 1:

Late December 1966: Concert Dallas Convention Center, Dallas TX (1966)

Late December 1966: TV appearance, Dallas TX (1966)

December 27 Review of Forever Changes in Variety (1967).

December 28 Concert Whisky A-Go-Go, Los Angeles CA (1967)

December 29 Concert Whisky A-Go-Go, Los Angeles CA (1967)

December 30 Concert Whisky A-Go-Go, Los Angeles CA (1967)

December 31 Concert Teenbeat Club, Las Vegas NV (1966)

January 1 Concert Teenbeat Club, Las Vegas NV (1967)

-The Dallas show is the famous Love Field promotional tie in arranged by Ronnie Haran. The event was famous for Elvis Presley being on the same flight as the band, and an album signing event at Nieman-Marcus. Johnny explains:

"These were usually promotional events, like the Dallas, Love field tie-in. They gave us the key to the city, and had us signing albums, hour after hour at Neiman Marcus department store. Elektra along with our management, had us doing this kind of thing to generate sales. After a while, I would be so tired of writing my own name, I'd sign Lee Harvey Oswald, or Jack Ruby. Anything to overcome the mind numbing (and finger numbing) boredom.

PS: If you happen across a Love Album signed by John F Kennedy, Lee Harvey Oswald, or Jack Ruby.... It's authentic, one of us signed it. By the way after enduring this assault on our digits, we were required to go on stage, and try to play music. Not one of our best shows."
-The band appeared on the Dallas version of American Bandstand and lip-synched to "My Little Red Book".
-The review in Variety described Forever Changes as the band's "most sophisticated album yet".

-After a 12 month absence the band returns to the Whisky to play their last ever set at the venue.
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Very good week in LoVE history. Brilliant, John.

-Aldous Huxley
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For the week of January 2-8:

January 3 Band signs first official recording contract with Elektra Records (1966)

January 5 Kenny Forssi dies of brain tumor at age 54 in Tallahassee FL (1998)

January 6 Concert Whisky A-Go-Go, Los Angeles CA (1967)

January 7 Concert Whisky A-Go-Go, Los Angeles CA (1967)

-For better or worse, the road to fame and historic permanance began with this Elektra contract. If nothing else it cemented forever three of the greatest rock albums ever recorded, despite the acrimony between some of the band members and Elektra management.

-With his passing ended perhaps the most tragic of all the stories of a band rife with tragedy. Kenny had a long battle with substance problems and died something of a paranoid if rumors are true. But nothing can take away from his contributions, alot of which went unrecognized, to the band's output.
You set the scene
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For the week of January 9-15:

January 11 Band signed a new contract that gave directions for all royalties, among other things, to be sent directly to Arthur for him to disburse to the other band members (1968)

January 14 Concert at Hullabaloo (1967)

-While the signing of a contract would seem to be of little importance in the recounting of a band's history, this is simply not the case in regards to LoVE. Contracts would always be a sore point in LoVE's history and this one maybe more than the others was the most harmful. Two points are worth examining. One, it is a strong indication that Arthur was becoming more autocratic and dominating in his view regarding his bandmates. This is, in my opinion, the most prevalent reason as to why the original group dissolved later in 1968: Arthur wanted total control of all things in LoVE. Second, there would be financial reprecussions felt afterward as members questioned the accuracy of the royalty payments. Bad feelings prevailed long after the 60's around this issue.

-For the Hullabaloo concert The Seeds and The Electric Prunes were on the same bill.
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Yeah, that contract didn't help any, but they all knew it was over...the creative differences, no touring, drugs.... all took their toll....too bad, but we have the best music ever to console us.

-Aldous Huxley
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For the week of January 16-22:

A slow week as far as documented events for the band so the following that are listed lean heavily on the possibly happened around these dates. None are specifically verified.

January 1966 House band at Bido Litos, Los Angeles CA.

January 1966 The Trip, Los Angeles CA. The band may have possibly filled in for the Byrd's at this venue for a few nights. Also reportedly David Crosby sat in with the band on one of these dates to join in on the John Lee Hooker jam.

January 1967 Possible two shows in Cleveland, OH. If these shows did take place, which appear likely, then the venue where they would have taken place was a club called La Cave, which was Cleveland's best rock club in the 60's and something of a hidden gem in the history of rock in general. Here is a brief history of the club:

http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/ article.pl?id=LC

and here is a thread in support of the band's appearance in Cleveland in '67 and the venue (special thank you to BallroomDays67 for finding this):

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us
Last edited by silentseason on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Your work & words here is very much appreciated, John!

-Aldous Huxley
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Yes, great stuff.

It's certainly possible that the shows took place at La Cave, but I have my doubts. Michael described the Cleveland venue as a "large, 'Over 21' type place", while La Cave has been described as a "small, dingy little coffee house."
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Yes, great stuff.

It's certainly possible that the shows took place at La Cave, but I have my doubts. Michael described the Cleveland venue as a "large, 'Over 21' type place", while La Cave has been described as a "small, dingy little coffee house."
Any ideas on what the venue might have been, Bally or anyone? At this point all I can really eliminate is the Musicarnival; if they didn't show up for the Doors then they probably would'nt for LoVE either. :wink:
You set the scene
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

You're absolutely right. The Cleveland venue was indeed La Cave. I just found this:

My older brother had a copy of the 1st Love album and wore it out. I remember being shocked at the sound of the band and the urgency of Arthur Lee's singing. '7 and 7 is', 'My Little Red Book' and 'Hey Joe' are songs that stand out in my memory. He went to see them at a little club in Cleveland, Oh called the 'La Cave' and talked of nothing else for days...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Thanks for researching and verifying it, Bally. Very sad to read the thread regarding Arthur's death.
You set the scene
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For the week of January 23-29:

January 24: Recording session, Sunset Sound Recorders Los Angeles CA. Debut album songs recorded: "And More", "Can't Explain", "No Matter What You Do", and "Gazing".(1966)

January 25: Recording session, Sunset Sound Recorders Los Angeles CA. Debut album songs recorded: "Colored Balls Falling", "You I'll Be Following", and "My Little Red Book". (1966)

January 26: Recording session, Sunset Sound Recorders Los Angeles CA. Debut album songs recorded: "Softly To Me", "No. Fourteen", "Hey Joe", "Signed D.C.", and "Mushroom Clouds". (1966)

January 27: Recording session, Sunset Sound Recorders Los Angeles CA. Debut album songs recorded: "Message To Pretty", "My Flash On You", and "Emotions". (1966)

-Perhaps the most important week in the history of the band as they knocked out their debut album wth extreme efficiency. Not really surprising as it has been stated numerous times that they were simply commiting their then live repetoire to tape, but still a testament to the bands tightness that it only took approximately 21 hours to record 15 songs. Of all the band's three albums this music was the fastest, rawest and less adorned but somehow it still had the lyrical mystery and musical oddness of Da Capo and Forever Changes.

-"No. Fourteen" did not make it onto the album. Instead it was issued as the B-side to the "7 and 7 Is" single that was issued later in 1966.

-Snoopy was absent for the January 24 session so Arthur is the official drummer of record for "And More", "Can't Explain", "No Matter What You Do", and "Gazing".

-The album was produced by Jac Holzman and engineered by Bruce Botnick. It was Elektra's first official "rock" record, but not it's first electric release (the Paul Butterfield Blues Band had that honor).

-The photo shoot of the album is another in the long line of LoVE myths and falsehoods. The cover is not the infamous "Castle" communal house where the band lived for a time in 1966, nor Bela Lugosi's old home, but rather a burned out chimney elsewhere in Laurel Canyon. The back cover is to me more interesting, in both a futuristic and sad way. If you look at Arthur and Bryan, it looks like they are giving each other a variation of the "fist bump" that is now popular, particularly among athletes. Additionally, it looks they are possibly expressing the unity of the group in general and themselves in particular (and the statue as well?) by putting their hands together. Even if true (it is wishful thinking on my part) it was a unity which did not last long.

-Of the band's first three albums the debut tends to be the one that garners the lesser interest. While Da Capo and Forever Changes are themselves major artistic and musical achievements (if for some reason you have never heard these two albums, then stop reading this now, get them and hear their greatness), I think the debut, by way of its strongest songs, might qualify as well. "Signed DC", "My Little Red Book" and "You I'll Be Following" are great songs; unfortunately in putting 14 songs on the LP there were some not as memorable which maybe keep the album from achieving greater recognition. One other (maybe the biggest) drawback was the technology used in recording it was not what it could and should have been. I would really liked to have heard the lost pre-Elekra recording as a contrast. But still it is a fun listen, if nothing else for the energy the band puts into the songs and also as a kind of "look at where their sound started" to measure the immense growth the band would achieve in little over a year.

-Although he didn't play on them Michael gives praise to the first album songs:

"Which songs did I enjoy playing? Actually I always enjoyed playing the tunes from the first album, maybe because those are the songs I used to enjoy listening to when I was drumming with The Sons of Adam. Also, the driving rhythms of songs like "My Flash On You", "Can't Explain", "You, I'll Be Following", (and really most of the material from the first album), lend themselves so well to drums."
You set the scene