Upcoming 'L.A. Woman' 40th Anniversary Release (Part 2)

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

Do they really make a decent profit from these rerererere re-reissues? More than new releases, they surely cant make money from reissues indefinitely
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

that sucks! F.J.I.T.A.!!!
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

universalmind69 wrote:Another studio album vinyl box and a "Multichannel Hybrid SACD" set of the very same albums due out in time for the holidays.... I don't know wether to laugh or cry at this point....?

Yay... "The Year of The Doors"
I gotta admit, I'm interested in the 45rpm vinyl. It's all analogue, tube cut, etc. Should blow the Rhino vinyl box away.
The Royal Sperm

these "new" releases are coming too soon, maybe they should hold that vinyl stuffs till april (Record Store Day)

i mean, we all are waiting the 41st anniversary of l.a.woman
www.KatRecords.com
The Royal Sperm

nothing new? :|
www.KatRecords.com
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

So according to Jeff the doors performed Riders in the sky and it will be included in the Dvd release ?

how cool is that if its true

new song and one of my favorites
davis

Post by davis »

Unless I overlooked it, I don't see any reference to this article from 9/29/11, so here it is:

http://theseconddisc.com/2011/09/29/doo ... l-box-due/
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

...just talked to a friend of mine today...i should be gett'n the 7" boxset in a week or two....as soon as i do.. i share what i can, hopefully the alt. versions are indeed very different, i hoping there is some arrangment differences noticeable.... im a record collector so i wanted this release very much so....i will also get the 33 1/3 release as well when available just because i love the sound from records...
The Royal Sperm

hope you can share the alt versions in advance :wink:
www.KatRecords.com
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

I should be getting it too. Only 100 copies will be released here on Holland. I know more in about a week.
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

The previous L.A. Woman thread had gotten too big so I split into a Part 2.

Here's the link for the original thread: http://www.thefreedomman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3339
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Porsche wrote:The previous L.A. Woman thread had gotten too big so I split into a Part 2.

Here's the link for the original thread: http://www.thefreedomman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3339
Very good!

...so we begin Part Deux, The Sequel!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Buda

Post by Buda »

If it will become too big again, it will be the fault of the Doors, actually.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Buda wrote:If it will become too big again, it will be the fault of the Doors, actually.
Maybe it should be called...

LA Woman 40th Anniversary Release:
or How To Piss Us Off All Over Again

(Part 2 of the Continuing Saga)
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
The Royal Sperm

or

LA Woman 40th Anniversary Release: 40 years later
www.KatRecords.com
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Or this thread becoming:

"Upcoming 'L.A. Woman' 40th Anniversary Release (Part 40)"

:mrgreen:
The Royal Sperm

nice sticker, huh?

www.KatRecords.com
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

The Royal Sperm wrote:nice sticker, huh?

Wouldn't 2011-2012 be TWO years? :lol:
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Wouldn't it have been smarter to put the sticker at the top instead of over the title at the bottom?

Just saw Jeff make this comment in the L.A. Woman thread at the LL: "We've got 4-6 years, maybe 7, before ALL discs are gone forever."

Didn't they say the same thing about vinyl? Radio? Don't get me wrong, he's probably right in terms of computers. Everything's moving away from optical drives. But music? And in less than 7 years? I remember Jeff and the webmaster for The Doors' site telling me that message boards would be a thing of the past because everyone was using social media instead. Two years later, Jeff is still issuing his latest updates via the LL and not Twitter or Facebook, and 40+ years later, The Doors are still releasing albums on vinyl.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

I agree with you, LEN.

With the digital age invading every aspect of life, we need touchstones, something we can hold and feel, so I believe there will always be a market for vinyl, if not CDs. What better pleasure than reading the liner notes in a well produced booklet while listening to our favorite DOORS, or LoVE, or Beatles?!

I don't believe the most treasured part of our DOORS collection is our digital d/ls!!

And I will always want to hold a book and turn the pages....no ebooks for me! I think everyone here agrees too--what good is collecting the latest DOORS ebook?
Last edited by jamestkirk on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

-Aldous Huxley
The Royal Sperm

in my opinion CDs will last forever! i really hope so, i am a CD freak i love them! i can't explain it but the sensation of the physical stuff, tha fact to read the booklet or put the CD on the player is everything, with vinyl the experience could be quite better, right? but what we can do "doing a click" for read or listen something?
www.KatRecords.com
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Porsche wrote:Wouldn't it have been smarter to put the sticker at the top instead of over the title at the bottom?

Just saw Jeff make this comment in the L.A. Woman thread at the LL: "We've got 4-6 years, maybe 7, before ALL discs are gone forever."

Didn't they say the same thing about vinyl? Radio? Don't get me wrong, he's probably right in terms of computers. Everything's moving away from optical drives. But music? And in less than 7 years? I remember Jeff and the webmaster for The Doors' site telling me that message boards would be a thing of the past because everyone was using social media instead. Two years later, Jeff is still issuing his latest updates via the LL and not Twitter or Facebook, and 40+ years later, The Doors are still releasing albums on vinyl.
I disagree with Jeff's conclusion. Think of the market saturation for CD players. Even if newer card include an aux input for Mp3 players, they still often include a CD player. Think of all the existing cars on the road made in the last 15 years that have CD players. Every home has a CD player, whether stand alone or a DVD or Blu Ray player with CD playback capability. The ubiquity of CD players means CD is not dying anytime soon.

While demand for physical media will decline, there will continue to be demand for longer than 7 years. Look at vinyl.

People older than 30 grew up in the physical era and like physical product. The demographic that buys Doors BMA stuff probably skews older. They young kids of today might like to download individual songs and be open to a cloud delivery model, but there will continue to be demand for physical media. They still make 35 mm film! They still make vinyl. There will be a niche for CD for many years, especially from audiophiles that don't want a compressed mp3 file and down't want to worry about losing their music when a hard drive crashes or futz around with paying cloud service subscription fees to Apple or Amazon. I still have CDs more than 20 years old that play flawlessly. How many hard drives will last that long?
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

might be a mistake but check the section I put in bold

Full details are forthcoming, but Doors guitarist Robby Krieger says the upgraded and expanded edition of the original group's 1971 swan song "L.A. Woman," due out early next year, is a revelation.

"It's pretty cool," Krieger tells Billboard.com. "We found a lot of outtakes and separate takes of most of the songs, which are going to be on the set, as well as remastering the original album. I pretty much totally forget about these other takes; when you're recording you kind of just throw them away in your mind. But it's interesting because you can see how different songs developed and changed from one take to the next. 'L.A. Woman,' the song, is quite different from what it started out as."

The multi-disc set is expected to include the two discs that comprised a 40th Anniversary release -- which included the bonus tracks "Orange County Suite," and Willie Dixon's"(You Need Meat) Don't Go No Furthur" -- along with a cover of Barrett Strong's Motown hit "Money (That's What I Want)," alternate takes and studio chatter between the band members and producer Bruce Botnick that's dubbed "Inside the Workshop."

Fans will get a taste of what's in store for "L.A. Woman" on Black Friday, Nov. 25, when the Doors release a limited edition "L.A. Woman Singles Box" that includes 7-inch vinyl of three songs -- "Love Her Madly," "Riders on the Storm" and "The Changeling" -- and a fourth disc that includes "Inside the Workshop" looks at "Riders on the Storm" and John Lee Hooker's "Crawling King Snake."

The Doors Team Up With Skrillex

The box is part of a new campaign called Year of the Doors 2011-2012, which is also expected to feature digital apps and box sets dedicated to the Doors' early career residencies at the Matrix in San Francisco and the London Fog in Los Angeles. But Krieger doesn't expect more outtake-laden album treatments like the group is doing for "L.A. Woman."

"I wish we could, but very few outtakes exist," Krieger says. "It's really a catastrophe; Elektra, being a small label, they took a lot of our masters, our 8-track and 16-track tapes, and bulk-erased them so they could use them for other bands to record on. So very few outtakes remain. The stuff on 'L.A. Woman' was just an amazing find."

While the Doors camp -- a partnership with Rhino that also includes drummer John Densmore and the estate of frontman Jim Morrison -- continues to mine their vaults for reissues, Krieger and keyboardist Ray Manzarek continue to play the group's music, now billed as Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger of the Doors after stints as the Doors of the 21st Century, D21C and Riders on the Storm. They've been fronted by the Cult's Ian Astbury. "That's probably what we should have been in the first place," Krieger notes. And the current incarnation of the act is fronted by Dave Brock, who hails from the Los Angeles Doors tribute band Wild Child.

"We've always been kind of afraid to ask him to play with us, because people say, 'Oh, you're using a tribute singer. Now you're your own tribute band,' " Krieger explains. "But then Journey got that karaoke singer (Arnel Pineda) and everybody loved it, so we said, 'If they can do that, we can use David. And he's been great. That's not to say the other guys (the Cult's Ian Astbury, Fuel's Brent Scallions) didn't do a good job, but I think when people come to see Ray and I, they want to see us do the Doors music as it should be done, so why not use a guy who really is an expert? He knows the songs better than we do, really."

Krieger says he and Manzarek also "talk about" recording some new music and even have songs they began when Astbury was working with them. "I think it would be a lot better if (Densmore) would be on it," Krieger says. "We do have some songs that we've worked up. We're just waiting for the right time, but we'll definitely be doing that." He and Manzarek are also looking ahead towards a full-scale world tour to celebrate the Doors' 50th anniversary in 2017.

http://www.billboard.com/news/the-doors ... 1562.story
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

IMO, this medium will be around forever! Now you have dual-layer DVD's (Blu-ray) which hold a lot of capacity.

CD's and Dual Layer 5" disc's IMO will be around for a while.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

The Royal Sperm wrote:in my opinion CDs will last forever! i really hope so, i am a CD freak i love them! i can't explain it but the sensation of the physical stuff, tha fact to read the booklet or put the CD on the player is everything, with vinyl the experience could be quite better, right? but what we can do "doing a click" for read or listen something?
Right, spermy.

Dan, Len, Bally, Ed, Nicole & all the vinyl junkies here will agree....nothing better than vinyl....holding that first DOORS album in hand & listening to my mono vinyl first pressing....Heaven on Earth.

-Aldous Huxley
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

I hate the sticker.
I guess we're lucky that they didn't stick it on one of the 4 guy's face.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Silver Forest wrote:I hate the sticker.
I guess we're lucky that they didn't stick it on one of the 4 guy's face.
I agree....as Len said, it would actually fit nicely in the upper right hand corner and not cover ANYTHING!

-Aldous Huxley
The Royal Sperm

anytimecowboy wrote:
The box is part of a new campaign called Year of the Doors 2011-2012, which is also expected to feature digital apps and box sets dedicated to the Doors' early career residencies at the Matrix in San Francisco and the London Fog in Los Angeles. But Krieger doesn't expect more outtake-laden album treatments like the group is doing for "L.A. Woman."
so, it will be a 2 on 1 box?
www.KatRecords.com
universalmind69

Post by universalmind69 »

It says "box sets". One box for London Fog with book containing the performance photos etc. and another dedicated to the Matrix tapes. It'd be terrible if they were to lob both of these recordings into a single box...
The Royal Sperm

well, who knows, but i can see, at least one, another expensive 100 box set :/
www.KatRecords.com