Upcoming 'L.A. Woman' 40th Anniversary Release (Part 2)

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

We don't know the market (I hate this word...) constrictions of these days but the idea of not having a physical release of Matrix is a major letdown.
OK, it's better than nothing and I have to admit that probably I will buy it (the music is beyond any JJ decisions) given the excellence of the sound samples I listened couple of years ago.

I'm glad that at least London Fog will come out as a CD. I hope they will invest on a booklet with many of the B&W photos they bought and with some historical background of the venue, the band and the woman that record it. The absence of these informations will be a complete non-sense as it will make this show a normal one and not give the idea of how legendary this venue was in the band's history and how unexpected and amazing was for the fans when it surfaced. I think the band went well when asked D. Friske to write a text in the 2CD LAW set. The text was nice. They should do a similar one in LF.

HB is nice but they are still missing the point. It's colour, it's complete, it has an immense historical value but... it's not new as IOW and it's not steamy as Roundhouse. These would have been my priorities.

Last but not least, I hope the LAW outtakes will be included in the digital releases. The studio chat and all the versions we have listened so far are great. I would love to have this oportunity to listen the genesis of this great album.

Let's wait for the semesters of The Doors.
Buda

Post by Buda »

mystery_train67 wrote:
Buda wrote:I just don't understand how come the physical product would affect the digital sales as Matrix or Fog CDs on the other hand would surely sell enough to make additional profit.
Hmmm just because WE know these shows are great representations of the band in their youth, doesn't necessarily mean that greatness will translate into sales.
If all the recent Rhino compilations released last year incl. the Monkees anniversary edition and the 726th release of a given Grateful Dead box sells, than I have no doubts. Maybe they have to put one of the the young lion shots on the cover but it would surely sell. It works for magazines as well and they are neither cheap with their current prices (comparing to any single disc release).

I understand we are burning on another level opposed to the ordinary fan concerning the Doors but in my mind it is ignorance from their part that is why we are just sitting here like a bunch of children waiting for their candy. If they would care about their fans, which means their legacy as well, opposed to their ever-present profit oriented handle of things, than don't tell me that say, a single disc release of the Fog recording incl. with a contenful thick booklet would not make its profit. No, instead they wait and see another year to find out what would be the best choice for the release to make the most out of it. I would understand such an approach in '67 but after 40 years of excavating their carrier in every possible way by the numerous Greatest Hits bs, with earnings that came thru by royalties, concerts and merchandise and so on, money still had to be their major concern?!

Why not be a fuckin' gentleman once and release either Fog or the Matrix as a free download (as lossless files). That would surely make a pretty wise move which would, to some level, undo all the badmouthing which they received rightfully because of their Matrix fiasco etc. but that is I guess is completely out of question of course...
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

Buda wrote:
mystery_train67 wrote:
Buda wrote:I just don't understand how come the physical product would affect the digital sales as Matrix or Fog CDs on the other hand would surely sell enough to make additional profit.
Hmmm just because WE know these shows are great representations of the band in their youth, doesn't necessarily mean that greatness will translate into sales.
If all the recent Rhino compilations released last year incl. the Monkees anniversary edition and the 726th release of a given Grateful Dead box sells, than I have no doubts. Maybe they have to put one of the the young lion shots on the cover but it would surely sell. It works for magazines as well and they are neither cheap with their current prices (comparing to any single disc release).

I understand we are burning on another level opposed to the ordinary fan concerning the Doors but in my mind it is ignorance from their part that is why we are just sitting here like a bunch of children waiting for their candy. If they would care about their fans, which means their legacy as well, opposed to their ever-present profit oriented handle of things, than don't tell me that say, a single disc release of the Fog recording incl. with a contenful thick booklet would not make its profit. No, instead they wait and see another year to find out what would be the best choice for the release to make the most out of it. I would understand such an approach in '67 but after 40 years of excavating their carrier in every possible way by the numerous Greatest Hits bs, with earnings that came thru by royalties, concerts and merchandise and so on, money still had to be their major concern?!

Why not be a fuckin' gentleman once and release either Fog or the Matrix as a free download (as lossless files). That would surely make a pretty wise move which would, to some level, undo all the badmouthing which they received rightfully because of their Matrix fiasco etc. but that is I guess is completely out of question of course...
I guess if the other artists re-releases and boxes are selling, why not The Doors too, huh?
djonez

Post by djonez »

I love HDTracks, would be great if the doors went that route. Shame that even HDtracks is subject to regional bullshit. I tried to buy a couple of releases and had to resort to usenet because they were not being sold to europeans. Go figure.

That the doors are still only considering downloads is even sillier than the so called year of the doors.

I would like the london fog in the format of a photo book or magazine. They could reach a lot of people that way, its the only way that a physical product still makes sense to me.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

They might actually create some demand for the Matrix box if they take the 2CD abomination off the market.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Yeah I can't understand why it is still out there! I hope it's cause they made a certain amount and haven't produced any more. If it's still in production, then that is bizarre and embarrassing.

And yes he didn't mention which one was going to be a download I just got the feeling that it would be Matrix.
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

I doubt that any digital release would be released as anything other than an mp3. They would definitely go the mass market route.

I believe that a physical release would actually help the digital format of the same release. If the physical release were a limited release and somewhat expensive, it would actually incentivise those who don't want to spend a lot of money to purchase the digital version.
mystery_train67

Yeah but I'm sure Jampol is armed with a cache of statistics pertaining to the demographic a digital release and a CD release will reach, and somehow an expensive CD won't influence the cheaper digital version. I don't like back and forward discussions/arguments/debates about this kind of thing, because none of us know for sure, but I sure do know Jampol has an answer for everything generally which has little actual substance, because he's not one for talking about the tactics and limitations of his business too much is he.
Buda

Post by Buda »

A digital download will have the potential to be shared all over the net once it is out making it totally useless to buy it (even more if it will be in mp3 only). I'm not saying this thing is out of question in case of a physical release, which opposed to the digital release needs real investment but on a long-term basis I think only the latter can turn out something desirable to buy, and for them beneficial. Make it a limited ed. so they don't have to bite their shoes if it ain't sells in thousands but if so, at any time they can restart producing them in another quantity.
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

This is a good matter and a well done packaging will ensure that people will purchase it instead of sharing just the music on torrents.

Can someone forward it to jeff. Digital download will not have the same impact in profits as in physical form but on the other hand the cost will not be the same
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

London Fog will is going to apparently be a single mic on the stage. Not a soundboard. But the value add is the early show and photos. So they ought to just combine the release with Matrix. That makes Matrix more viable in physical form and gives more mainstream fans a reason to rebuy Matrix. Matrix also will bring better sound to the table when combined with Fog to help balance out Fog's presumbed subpar quality. So by sticking both in a box set, maybe it increases the chance that both can be a viable physical product rather than just an mp3 download.

Also, did Steve Hoffman ever remaster Matrix? Or did that remaster project get shelved?
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Jeff just said this about Matrix being a physical product on LL:

"It will be if I have anything to do with it (and I do). "
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

hardrockcafe wrote:Jeff just said this about Matrix being a physical product on LL:

C'mon we need a reliable source
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
nelson8874

Post by nelson8874 »

For me it makes sense if London Fog and LA Woman Outakes are the ones that are downloads. I think Matrix will be a phisycal realese.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

If done properly, I think that the combination of the London Fog photos and recording would make for a very unique and desirable release. It should be issued as a book of London Fog photos and recollections from that period of time, which includes a CD of the London Fog recording. It would obviously be nice to have all of the London Fog material included in a single release. If the recording is released together with the Matrix recordings, some of the London Fog photos may end up being published over time.
Buda

Post by Buda »

Mark, the suggested book form would be amazing indeed and nevertheless to say, a sell-out. Though I'm afraid chances are low they will recognize its potential and choose this way to release it..
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

nelson8874 wrote:For me it makes sense if London Fog and LA Woman Outakes are the ones that are downloads. I think Matrix will be a phisycal realese.
nelson, as you also know, regarding this band we never know "nothing is etched on stone, blah, blah, blah...". However, given the quote Roughie posted I would say there was a differentiation between HB and LF as physical releases and two unspecified products:
Roughie wrote:From Jeff on the LL

We're sorting stuff out, lining up releases, and getting all of our ducks in a row. We'll be working with several different partners, some surprises, and (I'd like to think) some real quality offerings. They will probably be rolled out across this year and next year, but the plan, as of now, is to have two internet/digital products out, London Fog, and a brand-new restored HB out this year as well. We'll seeeeeee.........and the reason I'm not here a lot is because, a) there's nothing definitive to report, and B) I actually have a lot on my plate and am absolutely slammed.

There is nothing here that mentions Matrix as a digital download for this year. My guess for today ( :lol: ) is that it will be kept for 2013. If this means a careful made deluxe box then OK. For this year the minumum set would be the rest(...) of LAW sessions and LF. HB is an extra, hopefully a good one.
The Royal Sperm

The year of the doors will be the only year celebration with 84 months ..

remember it began on April 16th 2011
www.KatRecords.com
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

The Royal Sperm wrote:The year of the doors will be the only year celebration with 84 months ..

remember it began on April 16th 2011
2011+84months = 2018! :lol: Any problem with your keyboard F.? Are you sure it's not 4 months? :lol:
Etched in stone? :lol:
The Royal Sperm

SF, 48 months (2 years)

yes i know, my bad =)
www.KatRecords.com
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Don't worry, a typo is a typo but the question here is this unique Doorscale of time: 1 year = 24 months.

Oyeah, the other don't know but the Doorscores understand! :lol:
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Silver Forest wrote:
nelson8874 wrote:For me it makes sense if London Fog and LA Woman Outakes are the ones that are downloads. I think Matrix will be a phisycal realese.
nelson, as you also know, regarding this band we never know "nothing is etched on stone, blah, blah, blah...". However, given the quote Roughie posted I would say there was a differentiation between HB and LF as physical releases and two unspecified products:

We're sorting stuff out, lining up releases, and getting all of our ducks in a row. We'll be working with several different partners, some surprises, and (I'd like to think) some real quality offerings. They will probably be rolled out across this year and next year, but the plan, as of now, is to have two internet/digital products out, London Fog, and a brand-new restored HB out this year as well. We'll seeeeeee.........and the reason I'm not here a lot is because, a) there's nothing definitive to report, and B) I actually have a lot on my plate and am absolutely slammed.

There is nothing here that mentions Matrix as a digital download for this year. My guess for today ( :lol: ) is that it will be kept for 2013. If this means a careful made deluxe box then OK. For this year the minumum set would be the rest(...) of LAW sessions and LF. HB is an extra, hopefully a good one.
Sorry, but I don't see a new edit of HB, as has been recently described in the HB thread recently with the addition of Texas Radio, Hello, I Love You and the complete Spanish Caravan in HD quality, as an extra. I think of it as a prominent release, especially considering the fact that it would be a video release amongst many audio releases.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

The Royal Sperm wrote:
hardrockcafe wrote:Jeff just said this about Matrix being a physical product on LL:

C'mon we need a reliable source
Watch out for articles in magazines, that's where we get all our info!

Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Encuentro wrote:
Silver Forest wrote:

Sorry, but I don't see a new edit of HB, as has been recently described in the HB thread recently with the addition of Texas Radio, Hello, I Love You and the complete Spanish Caravan in HD quality, as an extra. I think of it as a prominent release, especially considering the fact that it would be a video release amongst many audio releases.
If the year of The Doors were cleansed every thing would appear to fan as it is, infinite

Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Fair enough Encuentro. Fully respect your opinion. However I see this HB release as something else. Considering the other 3 items: LF, Matrix and LAW session, HB come in the end. I hope the work they are doing in this release will shut my mouth.

=)
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Roughie wrote:
Encuentro wrote:
Silver Forest wrote: nelson, as you also know, regarding this band we never know "nothing is etched on stone, blah, blah, blah...". However, given the quote Roughie posted I would say there was a differentiation between HB and LF as physical releases and two unspecified products:

If the year of The Doors were cleansed every thing would appear to fan as it is, infinite
Depp, is it you?

:lol:
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

The core audience for this kind of Doors archival material consists of consumers who collect and prefer physical product. Downloads of the hits and master recordings is fine, particularly since management continues to try to appeal to a youthful, hip audience. But the reality is that the hardcore fanbase who supports the archival product wants physical product and will reluctantly purchase downloads if that is the only option. The band owes it to its long-standing fans who have supported its efforts for generations. Give them some physical releases of the material, even if it is in limited edition form. Very disappointing that the remaining archival material will possibly be available solely as downloads. How hard and expensive would it be to print 3 CDs in cardboard sleeves for the LA Woman outtakes? The music aspect of this band is grossly mismanaged. Jampol is not the right guy for the job. His priorities are not about the music. Paul McCartney's solo work continues to be reissued in various physical formats and it is unlikely that those titles sell huge units, yet from an artistic and legacy point of view, the material is made available as physical product. The Doors circus is getting real old. Glad we got what we did from BMA considering it almost ceased to exist when Danny got sick and with Jampol's focus on gimmicks and marketing campaigns versus caring about the music and sound quality.
mystery_train67

Porsche wrote:The photos show it's a single mic placed next to Ray's head. I haven't heard the tape, but I doubt the sound quality is all that impressive and Ray's vocals will be up front. It would make sense to include it as a disc in a better sounding complete Matrix set. Plus it gives people a reason to double dip if they have the previous Matrix set, right?
Hmmm there is still the possibility there was a second mic placed somewhere on the stage, right? It's just so weird they put the recording mic next to Rays face. A sign of things to come? Jampol described Rays harmonies as subtle, maybe that was some kind of in joke? Or maybe it's not as bad as we think.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Jeff said they plan to have "two internet/digital products out" this year along with London Fog and HB. The use of the term "products" makes me think one or both of these aren't album releases. They could be The Doors App and something else (a second app?). It'd be great to have some clarity on whether or not that "something else" is an album release, preferably the oft-delayed LAW 3CD set.

So it looks like no Matrix (again) this year. Whatever they do, it should be handled as an audiophile release. A London Fog book set would be a good idea. We don't really have much info, and fewer photos, from those very early days and it would make up for any sound quality/length concerns.
The Royal Sperm

Good Catch, you've the right maybe is the Almighty App that have been working the whole year of the doors!

and the other download could be an exclusive "Sticker App" with tons of designs of stickers, and a docu of the contest of the logo and all about material stickers! that would be great! can't wait! i'm ready for upfront pre order!
www.KatRecords.com