Upcoming 'L.A. Woman' 40th Anniversary Release (Part 2)

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

Jeff said:
RHINO GATHERS L.A.WOMAN RARITIES
ON 7" FOR RECORD STORE DAY EXCLUSIVE

Limited Edition Four-Disc Vinyl Set Includes Unreleased Alternate Versions

And Previously Unheard Studio Dialogue

Available November 25 Exclusively For Record Story Day's Black Friday

LOS ANGELES – For Record Store Day's Black Friday 2011, The Doors will unveil a limited edition, four-disc vinyl boxed set that spotlights L.A. Woman, the legendary quartet's final album with singer Jim Morrison. The collection includes 7" vinyl singles for three of the album's most iconic tracks, each backed with a B-side featuring an unreleased, alternate take of the same song. A fourth 7" contains unreleased studio chatter recorded during sessions for this historic album giving an inside peek of the band at work on their final masterpiece.

Numbered and limited to 4000 setsworldwide, the L.A. WOMAN SINGLES BOX will be available exclusively at participating independent record stores on November 25 for a suggested listprice of $49.98. For a directory of participating stores, please visit www.recordstoreday.com.

"There will always be a need for indie record stores – and for vinyl. I think vinyl's making a comeback, actually - it just sounds so much better!" says guitarist Robby Krieger.

"Our music was made with an independent spirit, and we believe in independence – of the mind, the heart and the soul," says organist Ray Manzarek. "L.A. Woman is 40 years old, and we look back fondly, with deep appreciation, on 40 years of that special exchange between an independent record store and a customer searching for something new that can open their hearts, minds and souls!"

The collection contains 7" singles for "Love Her Madly," "Riders On The Storm" and "The Changeling," each presented in a sleeve featuring original artwork from an international single release from the era. To complement the music, the set also includes an exact replica of a poster Elektra used to promote the album around the original 1970 release. The poster was designed by Carl Cossick, who also designed the instantly recognizable die-cut album cover used for L.A. Woman, and features the provocative, crucified "Electric Woman" image featured in the original vinyl sleeve of the album.

"Record stores are a place of community; something we as humans desperately need. Yes, the web is an electronic community, but you can't feel, smell, or touch on the Internet," says drummer John Densmore.

The fourth 7" offers rare insight into the group's creative process with two "Inside The Workshop" selections that capture previously unheard studio dialogue from Morrison, Manzarek, Krieger, and John Densmore as they recorded the album in Hollywood with producer Bruce Botnick.The first side features band dialogue from the recording of "Riders On The Storm" while the second side spotlights the band discussing their cover of John Lee Hooker's "Crawling King Snake."

L.A. WOMAN SINGLES BOX provides a first listen to some of the unreleased material that will be included in the highly anticipated upcoming deluxe edition of L.A. Woman, set for release from Rhino in January 2012.

L.A. WOMAN SINGLES BOX – Record Store Day's Black Friday Exclusive

Track Listing

Side One

"Love Her Madly"

Side Two

"Love Her Madly" – Alternate Version*

Side One

"Riders On The Storm"

Side Two

"Riders On The Storm" – Alternate Version*

Side One

"The Changeling"

Side Two

"The Changeling" – Alternate Version*

Side One

Inside The Workshop – "Riders OnThe Storm"*

Side Two

Inside The Workshop – "Crawling King Snake"*

* Previously unreleased
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
The Royal Sperm

4000 boxes! glad i already preordered!
www.KatRecords.com
antero

Post by antero »

MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

I finally broke down today and pre-ordered my 5 disc super, state of the art, ultra, incomparable, whatever the f**k you want to call it Box Set. With the Express shipping which guarantees it'll arrive the day of release it came to about $130.00. All I can say is I sincerely hope it'll be worth it and that they are giving us ALL the L.A. Woman materials they have. This has to be the most confusing and mismanaged release in history. I'm tired of the confusion and delays. If I find out there's something on one of the vinyl releases that's not in the 5 disc set I'll go bonkers. Anyway, January will come, eventually............. :?
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
The Royal Sperm

antero, i don't like that cover :s

michael, did you preordered the 7" vinyl box? or will you get from your local RSD store?

i'm still afraid to make the preorder of the 5 CD yet, i also want the t-shirts ...
www.KatRecords.com
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

Hey buddy,

I did not pre-order the vinyl. I'm going to be at a few record stores on Black Friday both here on Long Island and in Manhattan so I will probably pick up a copy or 2.
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
The Royal Sperm

lucky you that you can find it there

i paid 17 bucks to get it! i hate that expensive S&H rates of musictuday.com
www.KatRecords.com
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

http://hangout.altsounds.com/news/13726 ... doors.html
NoiseNY Says | RECORD STORE DAY CELEBRATES THE YEAR OF THE DOORS
Altsounds.com
This year, the bar is raised yet again as record stores commemorate the 40th anniversary of The Doors classic LA Woman with the LA Woman Vinyl Singles Box ...

http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/10/r ... -releases/
Record Store Day unveils Black Friday 2011 releases
Consequence of Sound
... The Doors will be releasing a “one-of-a-kind limited, serial-numbered box set” to commemorate the 40th anniversary of their album LA Woman. ...

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

anytimecowboy wrote:some artwork confirmation

http://thedoors.shop.bravadousa.com/Dep ... 1800_50796
Those 7" box sets sound really cool...LA Woman, Dylan, Beatles, Lennon...how cool is that?!!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
The Royal Sperm

is there also a complete studio collection of Janis in Vinyl!
www.KatRecords.com
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

The Royal Sperm wrote:is there also a complete studio collection of Janis in Vinyl!
The Record Store Day box of Janis has eight tracks...six unreleased & 2 rarities...pix and a 'temporary' tattoo (reproduction) of Janis' famous tatt.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

....i really love the art work, packaging, for both the singles box set and the other.......the only thing i don't like is the poster will be folded most likely, which causes lines....otherwise pretty cool......looks like the 5 disc package will be different art work since its not posted yet......cant wait for the track list on that one.......another thing is it looks like the bonus disc for the singles box set contains little or no full song attemps, mostly studio chatter which is still amazing but i would perfere more music and would of saved the chatter for the 5 disc release....it looks like the singles box set is acting as a teaser for the 2 and 5 disc releases....
The Royal Sperm

www.KatRecords.com
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

sticker hunt, seriously

Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

This is the official sticker?
F... they really shut my mouth. L.A. Woman is one of my weak points. How can I say something bad if this reminds me one of my favourite albums. Evil Jeff... :lol:
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

so far i have only seen this photo ( which a "photoshop" of 4 photographs )

Any unpublished ones ??? what happened to Wendell Hamick ? does anyone know his email ? cant seem to find his email or contact info .

I am sure he would have tons of photos
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

What a joke. Who is buying this set because they think it will be collectable? The other vinyl box set isn't selling that well on Ebay. Who is buying it so they can hear some of this material before the other sets are released? Why release this 2 months before the others. Why buy the same songs twice. The outtakes will be on the 2cd or 5cd sets. One record of just studio chatter?..really? how lame is that. Who the hell is going to listen to that more than once. Like they couldn't come up with TWO songs. What happened to You Need Meat which WAS a b-side single.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

Why does this thread have an 81st page which is blank?

But now that you mention it, it does seem to ridiculous to release the vinyl set before the CD box. Still, I have no doubt someone will buy them to get the early listen, and someone will probably transfer them and pass them around.
The Royal Sperm

i'm doing for the stickers :mrgreen:

about the other box, ebay sellers ask ridiculous prices, i think that they will be collectable, as the ROTS 3 covers RSD singles, they sold very well on ebay.

now, the 2cd, 5 cd stuff, and the fact that the same song will be in different formats has no sense
www.KatRecords.com
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

wha happened wrote:What a joke. Who is buying this set because they think it will be collectable? The other vinyl box set isn't selling that well on Ebay. Who is buying it so they can hear some of this material before the other sets are released? Why release this 2 months before the others. Why buy the same songs twice. The outtakes will be on the 2cd or 5cd sets. One record of just studio chatter?..really? how lame is that. Who the hell is going to listen to that more than once. Like they couldn't come up with TWO songs. What happened to You Need Meat which WAS a b-side single.
The LA Woman anniversary set debacle is getting to a point of insanity. The Doors blew this big time. Management had most of 2011 to prepare for the CD release and botched it. I lost interest a couple weeks ago. I assume I can forget about The Doors until 2012.
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

It is a joke, releasing a 40th anniversary issue a year late and making up this year of the doors crap. Its like a half arsed highschool student botching a presentation. The whoel thing is amaturish, they managed to put together a vinyl boxset rapidly in time for Nov 25th.

I have pre ordered the set, thats the kind of loosh attitude I have at times. Its quite likely the only release we will actaully see, its certainly the only one we will see released when its supposed to be

jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

anytimecowboy wrote:It is a joke, releasing a 40th anniversary issue a year late and making up this year of the doors crap. Its like a half arsed highschool student botching a presentation. The whoel thing is amaturish, they managed to put together a vinyl boxset rapidly in time for Nov 25th.

I have pre ordered the set, thats the kind of loosh attitude I have at times. Its quite likely the only release we will actaully see, its certainly the only one we will see released when its supposed to be
Hey anytimecowboy...not worth the frustration.

Besides, you are lucky to be able to have such fine Scottish musicians to fall back on!

Some of my faves are--

Bert Jansch! RIP
DOnovan
Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull
Average White Band
Eric Bogle
Jack Bruce!!!
MARK KNOPFLER

TO MANY TO NAME!!

CHEERS!

-Aldous Huxley
Snake Skin Babe

Post by Snake Skin Babe »

The Freedom Man wrote:
Snake Skin Babe wrote:I have registered again but I guess I'm not activated yet.
What's you username now, so i can activate you.

Things on the forum stay as it is. My provider won't help me further. They blame me for not fixing it myself, even when I told them I didn't know how...
Same.

door71

I looked through a few threads that I know I posted in and didn't see any posts.
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

jamestkirk wrote:
anytimecowboy wrote:

Besides, you are lucky to be able to have such fine Scottish musicians to fall back on!

Some of my faves are--

Bert Jansch! RIP
DOnovan
Average White Band
Eric Bogle
Jack Bruce!!!
MARK KNOPFLER

TO MANY TO NAME!!

CHEERS!
Hey thanks, Well spotted except Mark Knopfler isnt Scottish, hes a Geordie. Although maybe he was born in Scotland

There loads of great bands but some of my faves are

Malcom and Angus Young ( ozzy but still Scottish almost)
Gerry Raffertie
The sensational Alex Harvey

and of cousre 'Morrison' can I have that one??

jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

anytimecowboy wrote:
jamestkirk wrote:
anytimecowboy wrote:

Some of my faves are--

Bert Jansch! RIP
DOnovan
Average White Band
Eric Bogle
Jack Bruce!!!
MARK KNOPFLER

TO MANY TO NAME!!

CHEERS!
Hey thanks, Well spotted except Mark Knopfler isnt Scottish, hes a Geordie. Although maybe he was born in Scotland

There loads of great bands but some of my faves are

Malcom and Angus Young ( ozzy but still Scottish almost)
Gerry Raffertie
The sensational Alex Harvey

and of cousre 'Morrison' can I have that one??
Knopfler is named under "Scottish born musicians" as well as his brother...he was born in Glasgow and moved to Blyth Northumberland at the age of seven...his Mother was English and his father was Hungarian-Jewish who fled Europe due to his anti-fascist views.

No Scottish blood, but he has a Scottish heart for sure!

Of course I've always been a true Scotsman at heart...I somehow identified with Scotland growing up...must be that my first name is SCOTT!!

-Aldous Huxley
The Royal Sperm

i wonder why the 4 7" vinyl janis box set is $10 cheaper than the doors box ...
www.KatRecords.com
door71

Post by door71 »

I don't think I'll spend the money on it.
universalmind69

Post by universalmind69 »

Another studio album vinyl box and a "Multichannel Hybrid SACD" set of the very same albums due out in time for the holidays.... I don't know wether to laugh or cry at this point....?

Yay... "The Year of The Doors"
The Royal Sperm

fuck! that's insane, just read the "news"

both re-re-re-re-releases are the surprises? :/
www.KatRecords.com