Upcoming 'L.A. Woman' 40th Anniversary Release (Part 2)

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

Roughie wrote:
The Royal Sperm wrote:i was offline two weeks and i found no news, is very exciting being a doors fan :/
No news is good news... right?

And what did you expect? It's not like it's the year of the Doors or anything!
i don't know i expect a preorder of the london fog, or maybe a new album sticker! something like that, hehehe

well, at least some news
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

May 14, 2012 by Paul Sinclairtags: The Doors

The Doors will “almost certainly” release a digital version of a three-CD L.A. Woman outtake set sometime this year, according to manager Jeff Jampol, but an actual physical set is uncertain at this time.

“As soon as I have a definite release commitment and date, you’ll know” is the official line from Jampol, who was forced to make a U-turn on his promise to fans of a five-disc super deluxe edition of L.A. Woman last autumn.

A two-disc 40th Anniversary edition was issued in January with promise of a three disc set in the first half of this year to give fans something equivalent to a five-disc box

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... e-balance/
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
The Royal Sperm

they are wasting all their efforts making that wonderful app
www.KatRecords.com
Buda

Post by Buda »

Still there's no release date yet, no updates regarding the other releases though seems they are also feeling the situation is bit akward so Jeff came out to tell another promise. Right.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

If this is "new" info and not just a quote pulled off the LL for the article (like most internet journalism), then what's being said makes sense if Jeff still plans to make all those other releases happen this year.

As I see it, the Matrix/London Fog will likely be one set. I don't see them releasing a single reel (20-30 minutes?) on its own. The photos show it's a single mic placed next to Ray's head. I haven't heard the tape, but I doubt the sound quality is all that impressive and Ray's vocals will be up front. It would make sense to include it as a disc in a better sounding complete Matrix set. Plus it gives people a reason to double dip if they have the previous Matrix set, right?

Around the same time, they could release the Hollywood Bowl on Bluray. They often release CDs and DVDs in the same year. Sometimes at the exact same time, like the LAW release. So all that makes sense. But the odd man out has always been the 3CD LAW set. Where would it fit in with these other two releases so long after the 40th anniversary "celebration"? It would either have to be a web-only limited edition CD set or a download. Given the lack of pre-orders (due to poor planning), the late date, and the elimination of any kind of "deluxe edition" packaging or book, it seems like a limited edition CD set might be out of the question at this point. A nice deluxe set would have been better, but they dropped that ball a long time ago.
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

I dont know if you would agree but i would definitely prefer to see 3cd LAW set rather than HB Blu Ray . Hope it gets released within this year .
Buda

Post by Buda »

Len, what you said makes perfect sense but that is what has nothing to do them. God give they will deliver London Fog + Matrix first, then whatever order the Bowl movie and the LAW discs but now I can't think about anything to expect from them.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

It sure sounds like it was pulled off the LL. Perhaps we'll get a year of the Doors box set, with all the remaining releases? Sticker included of course! pffffft, that would be worse than not getting them.

Anyway what has been interesting to me is that Jeff has been absent from the LL for quite some time, unless he has goine into invisible mode. He may not always post, but you usually see him online. Might be on vacation I suppose?
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Roughie wrote:It sure sounds like it was pulled off the LL. Perhaps we'll get a year of the Doors box set, with all the remaining releases? Sticker included of course! pffffft, that would be worse than not getting them.

Anyway what has been interesting to me is that Jeff has been absent from the LL for quite some time, unless he has goine into invisible mode. He may not always post, but you usually see him online. Might be on vacation I suppose?
He had a couple of Janis Joplin releases to deal with. Live at the Carousel Ballroom 1968 in March and The Pearl Sessions in April. Beyond that he has the Michael Jackson Estate and other artists that he manages. I wonder if Jeff has decided that he is better off not posting on upcoming releases, because when he does, it usually winds up backfiring on him, the latest example being the L.A. Woman release.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Encuentro wrote:I wonder if Jeff has decided that he is better off not posting on upcoming releases, because when he does, it usually winds up backfiring on him, the latest example being the L.A. Woman release.
Was thinking that myself.

Buda

Post by Buda »

It just shows how trustable he is. Choosing not to post online changes nothing about that.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

You know if one of those releases (or all) are delayed (again) until next year, or canceled all together, Jeff will come out and try to pass the blame off on the record company. After all, Jeff is "working for you guys". And there has never been once instance where we heard it from Jeff first ("when I know, you'll know).

Jeff is still active online, just not so much on the LL. Encuentro was right, Jeff has a pretty full plate, maybe too full?, with the other artists he manages. No doubt the Michael Jackson estate is his new bread and butter meal ticket, although Jeff will say that all of his clients get the same amount of attention. The MJ estate has been in the news lately granting licensing, re-releases and some lawsuits, so Jeff may be more focused on that right now.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

wha happened wrote:You know if one of those releases (or all) are delayed (again) until next year, or canceled all together, Jeff will come out and try to pass the blame off on the record company. After all, Jeff is "working for you guys". And there has never been once instance where we heard it from Jeff first ("when I know, you'll know).

Jeff is still active online, just not so much on the LL. Encuentro was right, Jeff has a pretty full plate, maybe too full?, with the other artists he manages. No doubt the Michael Jackson estate is his new bread and butter meal ticket, although Jeff will say that all of his clients get the same amount of attention. The MJ estate has been in the news lately granting licensing, re-releases and some lawsuits, so Jeff may be more focused on that right now.
I think we all realise that, it's just this is meant to be The Year of The Doors, that's all.

Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Roughie wrote:
wha happened wrote:You know if one of those releases (or all) are delayed (again) until next year, or canceled all together, Jeff will come out and try to pass the blame off on the record company. After all, Jeff is "working for you guys". And there has never been once instance where we heard it from Jeff first ("when I know, you'll know).

I think we all realise that, it's just this is meant to be The Year of The Doors, that's all.
I'm not worried.
I'm fully convinced they already changed it for The Semester of The Doors or "how to overload annoying fans with a fabulous app".
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

From Jeff on the LL

We're sorting stuff out, lining up releases, and getting all of our ducks in a row. We'll be working with several different partners, some surprises, and (I'd like to think) some real quality offerings. They will probably be rolled out across this year and next year, but the plan, as of now, is to have two internet/digital products out, London Fog, and a brand-new restored HB out this year as well. We'll seeeeeee.........and the reason I'm not here a lot is because, a) there's nothing definitive to report, and B) I actually have a lot on my plate and am absolutely slammed.

dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

By the sound of that, it appears that the remaining LAW outtakes AND the Matrix sets are going to be downloads only.
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

Ok, a typical Jeff reply with no concrete information. What I really didn't like was this part here:

"They will probably be rolled out across this year and next year, but the plan, as of now, is to have two internet/digital products out, London Fog, and a brand-new restored HB out this year as well."

So now it's gonna be YearS of The Doors. He could just call it "Lifetime of The Doors", that would be more appropriate. Matrix as download? I bet they would come as mp3. And excuse me, but why should digital products work out with Jeff? We still didn't get those free downloads from Perception... Oh well, something will come out somehow!
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Downloads = Roughie not buying them.

LOL that will have him scared into making them a physical product! :lol:

lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

....even though i don't like downloads, i'll take what ever the doors camp will give....
The Royal Sperm

what a mess, i don't want matrix as download and also don't want la.women outtakes as download, lossy sucks!

what will be the surprises? a new t-shirt? a poster maybe? a key ring? a hat? c'mon!
www.KatRecords.com
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

Matrix is what i was really expecting this year...but not as digitalmp3crappy downloads!
Carnival dog
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

The Royal Sperm wrote:what a mess, i don't want matrix as download and also don't want la.women outtakes as download, lossy sucks!

what will be the surprises? a new t-shirt? a poster maybe? a key ring? a hat? c'mon!
Now, now... you know they can't top a sticker!

The Royal Sperm

Roughie wrote:
The Royal Sperm wrote:what a mess, i don't want matrix as download and also don't want la.women outtakes as download, lossy sucks!

stickers are ready for upfront pre orders
www.KatRecords.com
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

The Royal Sperm wrote:
Roughie wrote:

stickers are ready for upfront pre orders
I'm gonna keep my sticker sealed. Will be worth more that way!

I'm not impressed nor surprised that Matrix will be a download.

wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Well since Jeff didn't actually say that the Matrix will be download only, I'm holding out hope that it will be some type of a ultra limited edition physical product. He didn't even mention the Matrix by name in that quote, even though it's probably what he is referring to. Has Hoffman commented on working on the Matrix lately?

The Matrix deserves to be a CD release to right the wrong over the botched Matrix release from a few years ago. The original Matrix release should have been pulled from the shelves and other online retailers the minute we found out about the masters. I seem to remember Jeff saying another Matrix release would be a limited edition type of thing. Then again, it's all about Jeff trying to make as much money as possible so making it a download release means more $ in pocket.
Buda

Post by Buda »

I just don't understand how come the physical product would affect the digital sales as Matrix or Fog CDs on the other hand would surely sell enough to make additional profit.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

Buda wrote:I just don't understand how come the physical product would affect the digital sales as Matrix or Fog CDs on the other hand would surely sell enough to make additional profit.
Hmmm just because WE know these shows are great representations of the band in their youth, doesn't necessarily mean that greatness will translate into sales.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Hard to believe but this year will mark the 4 year anniversary since the 2CD Matrix release. I really hope we get the complete shows from the masters at some point.
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

I think the Matrix set definitely deserves to be a physical CD release, and it should replace the current 2CD comp that is still being sold on shelves and online retailers.
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

I would prefer the Matrix recordings be released as a physical product. (I know this is wishful thinking, but I'd like for the Matrix/London Fog to be issued on vinyl at some point as well as CD.) However, I'd gladly take it as a download if it's also offered in lossless and/or 24bit /96khz HD quality audio, and not just mp3. I agree that mp3 only would be disappointing.

HD audio has become more popular as of late, and a release of the Matrix shows from the master tapes in high resolution audio should sound fantastic. For example, they could release it through the company 'HD Tracks": https://www.hdtracks.com/