Upcoming 'L.A. Woman' 40th Anniversary Release (Part 2)

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/L-Woman-Singles ... 837&sr=1-8

The vinyl box is now listed on amazon UK

and here

http://soundstagedirect.ecomm-search.co ... ors&menu2=

I also read a review somewhere that mentioned 'in the studio' footage included on the dvd. Most likely the CKS footage and something unrealated like the Wild child footage but who knows???
Last edited by anytimecowboy on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

Thanks for the review 'love my girl'. I preordered the box myself and if tracks are posted here or elsewhere Im going to have to resist DL them.
I really want to hear some new doors material brand new for the first time on my stereo.
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

I'm still having a moral dilemma. :? I really don't want to put out 50 bucks on Friday when I've already ordered the 5 disc set but these outtakes/studio chatter do sound really cool. Anyway at least new stuff is on the horizon. :D
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

MysticHeatedWine wrote:I'm still having a moral dilemma. :? I really don't want to put out 50 bucks on Friday when I've already ordered the 5 disc set but these outtakes/studio chatter do sound really cool. Anyway at least new stuff is on the horizon. :D
Just go ahead michael, to complete all the l.a.woman singles, you already have all the ROTS vinyls :wink:
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
The Royal Sperm

www.KatRecords.com
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

...a little correction, sorry i was so excited, riders on the storm is when jim says " don't let any mutants in here"....jim sings " riding down the trail to alberkery , saddles bags are filled with beans and jerky...tv ranch for you an me... k-circle for alberkery"...then raw hide, sorry for the spelling.lol...jim says .." im just a dumb singer" im pretty sure john mentions the thunder use and jim says lets go to arizona...

also, thru out the alternate tacks and inside the workshop jims vocals are super clean, right up front, like the aquarious rehearsal...
The Royal Sperm

this was posted on the doors facebook:
The Doors

L.A. Woman release date is January 24th - 2CD, Double Vinyl LP, DVD/Blu-ray of "Mr. Mojo Risin': The Making Of L.A. Woman" and a few extra goodies!
so, no 5 CD set on january?
www.KatRecords.com
MysticHeatedWine

The Royal Sperm wrote:
MysticHeatedWine wrote:I'm still having a moral dilemma. :? I really don't want to put out 50 bucks on Friday when I've already ordered the 5 disc set but these outtakes/studio chatter do sound really cool. Anyway at least new stuff is on the horizon. :D
Just go ahead michael, to complete all the l.a.woman singles, you already have all the ROTS vinyls :wink:
Yeah, I know, you're probably right ..... =)
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
MysticHeatedWine

lovemygirl wrote:...a little correction, sorry i was so excited, riders on the storm is when jim says " don't let any mutants in here"....jim sings " riding down the trail to alberkery , saddles bags are filled with beans and jerky...tv ranch for you an me... k-circle for alberkery"...then raw hide, sorry for the spelling.lol...jim says .." im just a dumb singer" im pretty sure john mentions the thunder use and jim says lets go to arizona...

also, thru out the alternate tacks and inside the workshop jims vocals are super clean, right up front, like the aquarious rehearsal...
Thanks for all the details. I look forward to hearing this stuff on Friday !! :D
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

lovemygirl wrote:....i don't want to ruin anything for anyone on this forum...if the people here wish i don't share the info i will stop....but i thought most would be interested.... i've listen'd to the 3 tracks plus the two sides of in the studio many times so far and i think we, the doors community , will be very happy... its the doors doing the blues at there very best and jim sounds great...i mean good...not like the first album but like "an olds blues man".. and i dig it...the vocals arent buried in these mix's like the original album...."in the studio" is for me the best part of the box set and i know it probly be part of the 5cd release but on vynly, its primo....i makes me think im there in the recording process and i love it....THE DOORS... :mrgreen:
Any chance of needle dropping and uploading to YouTube so folks can hear these previews (if they want to)? :mrgreen:
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

The Royal Sperm wrote:this was posted on the doors facebook:
The Doors

L.A. Woman release date is January 24th - 2CD, Double Vinyl LP, DVD/Blu-ray of "Mr. Mojo Risin': The Making Of L.A. Woman" and a few extra goodies!
so, no 5 CD set on january?
Downloads.

Don't count on Jeff to save the CD release either.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

The 5 cd set is now a downloads release? i dont mind to be honest, so long as i get the music. we might even get more than we would on 5 cds. no stress. i would like some notes from bruce and band.... but really, even their notes are usually the same old dreck. bruces tech stuff was good from the AL shows
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

...was the origanl promo poster yellow background and the woman on the pole black or vise versa, black background with the woman and pole being yellow?....i thought yellow with black woman and pole but the boxset comes with the opposite.....
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

mystery_train67 wrote:The 5 cd set is now a downloads release? i dont mind to be honest, so long as i get the music. we might even get more than we would on 5 cds. no stress. i would like some notes from bruce and band.... but really, even their notes are usually the same old dreck. bruces tech stuff was good from the AL shows
THe most anticipated release so far for me ( except london fog ) is this 5 cd box set , and if they release it in digital form it will be a major bummer as we will not have the promised nice box set with the promised multi-page full of photos ( and unreleased ones ) booklet .
Buda

Post by Buda »

That would be pretty close to another epic fail definitely.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

in regard to the photos i understand.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

I posted this on LL:
'Doorsmanagement'
We're working it out...Rhino US wasn't feeling the 5 CD Box Set, wanted to do it as a digital download only....but I think Rhino UK wants to do it, so if THEY do, then the US division probably will, too.

Too soon to tell, but looks pretty good. Stand by. Either way, it WILL be available digitally, but I really want this Box Set to be available, so I'm fighting the good fight. Stay tuned.
A few observations to share with Rhino:

1.) If it's going to be digital only, the price of the super deluxe edition should be reduced, since they won't have any packaging and production costs.
2.) Mp3s are compressed, lossy and they suck. Consider FLAC
3.) Other legacy 70s acts are having success this season with multi-disc CD box sets including 5 or more discs: Pink Floyd (Immersion box sets: Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall), Jethro Tull (Aqualung), Grateful Dead (Europe 72). So if Rhino doesn't think a Doors box will sell as well, is that a reflection of Rhino's perception of The Doors -- or Rhino's inability to market product? Is the band forced to use Rhino due to the Warner relationship?
4.) If it's going to be digital only, why not release it NOW? You won't have to print or replicate discs?

Personally, I'm not a fan of downloads, just because hard drives usually fail every few years and I have to keep redubbing the digital files to other hard drives or optical media as a backup. It's a pain in the ass. FLAC would be OK, but mp3s suck.

I think Rhino should offer a blended model-->put out the CDs for folks that want CDs -- and put out the download for folks that want downloads.

If Rhino is worried about profit margins, maybe they should stop putting out crap in CD boxes like the Monkees "Instant Replay" box set: http://www.rhino.com/shop/product/the-m ... xe-edition

And finally, Rhino has it all wrong. If any demographic wants downloads its the young folks that just buy individual songs and don't care about sound quality . A 5 disc box is targeted at a more seasoned older hardcore fan that likely prefers physical media. My two cents.
MysticHeatedWine

If the 5 cd set winds up being digital it'll probably be so they don't have to pay people to use their photos.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

My main struggle with this 5CD box potentially becoming a "download only" release is that they put it up for sale on their web site months ago as a CD box. So did they see low demand? I think a lot of folks held off on ordering until a tracklist (still pending) for the 5CD box is published. Also, if "Rhino is not feeling it," why wasn't that decision made before the CD box set was put up for sale on the Doors web site.

lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

Me as a lot of people havent pre order the 5 cd box set . Personally i am waiting to preorder it around the date of release . Or waiting to buy it from Ebay since its much more fast to come to my country .

If the pre-order low sale, is one of the reason you previously mentioned , well i can say that the management has bad bad marketing . Sales would boost AFTER the box set is released ( along with the reviews , snippets , box set , booklet does get released ) . Only hardcores pre-order , common Doors fan that want to probably buy it they will wait for the box set to hit their local stores .

ould someone please ask Jeff what will happent to the multi page booklet with the the unreleased photos ?
MysticHeatedWine

hardrockcafe wrote:My main struggle with this 5CD box potentially becoming a "download only" release is that they put it up for sale on their web site months ago as a CD box. So did they see low demand? I think a lot of folks held off on ordering until a tracklist (still pending) for the 5CD box is published. Also, if "Rhino is not feeling it," why wasn't that decision made before the CD box set was put up for sale on the Doors web site.

I agree 100% with your points. If there's not going to be a book or any photos it should not only be released sooner but should also be cheaper. Including the 15 extra bucks I paid for expedited shipping when I preordered it it came to $129.96. You're telling me now that for that price I may not even get a booklet or pics ? :cry:
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

MysticHeatedWine wrote:
hardrockcafe wrote:My main struggle with this 5CD box potentially becoming a "download only" release is that they put it up for sale on their web site months ago as a CD box. So did they see low demand? I think a lot of folks held off on ordering until a tracklist (still pending) for the 5CD box is published. Also, if "Rhino is not feeling it," why wasn't that decision made before the CD box set was put up for sale on the Doors web site.

I agree 100% with your points. If there's not going to be a book or any photos it should not only be released sooner but should also be cheaper. Including the 15 extra bucks I paid for expedited shipping when I preordered it it came to $129.96. You're telling me now that for that price I may not even get a booklet or pics ? :cry:
The jury is still out as to whether or not it will be released on CD. Jeff said, "We're working it out...Rhino US wasn't feeling the 5 CD Box Set, wanted to do it as a digital download only....but I think Rhino UK wants to do it, so if THEY do, then the US division probably will, too.

Too soon to tell, but looks pretty good." It's still possible. If it is only released as a digital download, it may come with a digital booklet.
MysticHeatedWine

Okay. Thanks. If anyone finds out for sure please let us know.
Buda

Post by Buda »

All this is really pathetic now.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

First this was delayed because they wanted to make sure they did everything right and included as much as they could, etc -- until we found out the real reason was the Grammy documentary airing in late January (what a coincidence!) -- and now Rhino doesn't want to release it on CD at all? How does this happen? Wouldn't you have a deal in place before you issue a press release and start taking pre-orders?
MysticHeatedWine

Wouldn't you have a deal in place before you issue a press release and start taking pre-orders?

Logic would dictate such a conclusion. :?
universalmind69

Post by universalmind69 »

The people that actually pre-ordered this thing have been royally fucked over, weren't these pre-orders stipulated as being "non-refundable" as well?
Why does anyone even care to pre-order ANY Doors product anyway?
I mean... the shipping cost when ordering through the "Musictoday" site is vastly inflated, packaging is poor and the actual product ordered almost NEVER turns out as initially promoted/promised.... + the orders take forever to arrive..

The products will be up on ebay, in stores etc. soon enough anyway, there's no real need to be rushing into these things.. especially not when dealing with this band and their bizarre way of doing business/treating their loyal fans.
The Royal Sperm

the whole thing sucks!

i really wanted a super deluxe box .. damn!

well, i won't buy it as digital, but we can do something:

we could make a contribution to buy only 1 time and share within the members forum

:twisted:
www.KatRecords.com
Garlon

Post by Garlon »

Remember when it was:

A. Jac Holzman is personally involved
B. We wanted to included a booklet and photos
C. We found more material to use
D. Bruce is reviewing everything we have
E. We're giving you all the alternates and outtakes
F. We don't have some songs (Hyacinth House and CKS)...even though we have CKS studio chatter
G. It is delayed to include amazing packaging
H. It is delayed to include an app
I. It will be part of our Year of The Doors

So now, apparently a 6-cd Felt Forum Box is more worthy of a physical release than a 5-cd LA Woman box?

Do not be surprised if the entire project gets cancelled. Maybe the 2-cd will come out with 8 or 9 tracks, whatever it was. How are you guys gonna feel about that? This project was delayed a whole fucking year to give you 50min of material. And as of right now, we still don't know what that material really is - maybe some of those tracks are "fake" alternate takes ala Love Me Two Times from Perception, and maybe the others are the master take ala Touch Me from Perception.

And why is this shit delayed until the Grammy's? How is "Grammy Day" a better period for sales than say X-Mas? And who cares about a Grammy's documentary, what's it gonna have 30 sec with The Doors?
Where are the recordings we were promised? Where is the music, the new music, dying on the reels?
Garlon

Post by Garlon »

I think they need to start their own download service and call it "Vaportunes".

And watch when you get some songs they will be cut, ala Carol or WM&M.

It's fucking X-Mas season and The Doors have NO PRODUCT. That says it all.
Where are the recordings we were promised? Where is the music, the new music, dying on the reels?