The Doors Infinite Boxed Sets

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

Here's an interesting 'making off' video that was posted on the Acoustic Sounds website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... KQFs6Da9oY
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

jdlaw wrote:Here's an interesting 'making off' video that was posted on the Acoustic Sounds website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... KQFs6Da9oY
Thanks for that link! Loved seeing the master reel boxes with all the handwritten notes added over the years. These look better than the 2008 vinyl box. Should sound better, too. I'll be interested to hear the debut.
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

....very nice, thanks for sharing this video....
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Check out the tape box for WFTS. Under "Danger Will Robinson" it says there is tape stretch damage on the song "We Could Be So Good Together." I wonder how they will fix that for these releases? I guess they would have to splice in some sort of repair? Or will they use an alternate safety dub for that song?
Buda

Post by Buda »

Thanks for the post! It was a joy to see and those original sheets are just pricelss.. October is a bit far, huh?! :wink:
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

hardrockcafe wrote:Check out the tape box for WFTS. Under "Danger Will Robinson" it says there is tape stretch damage on the song "We Could Be So Good Together." I wonder how they will fix that for these releases? I guess they would have to splice in some sort of repair? Or will they use an alternate safety dub for that song?
Hoffman's mentioned that stretch before -- though he didn't mention which song. It looks like the note dates from 2007, when they were working on the vinyl box. Of the stretch, Hoffman said: "Nothing that a little redub patch job wouldn't take care of..." I have high hopes for what Sax will deliver.
Buda

Post by Buda »

It is amazing how they come up with another version of these kind of LP releases. Maybe this will be the bomb, probably, but it must be frustrating for some I'm sure who are regular buyers.

On the other hand it is stated in the clip that the details, the resolution of the covers are above the standard, like never before seen. Why the Doors couldn't keep this approach when they released their Ben Fong torres penned book in 2007? That book were filled with clearly second or even higher generation photos - some were even indicated to be downloaded from the web because of the sharp pixelizations...

So why not make such a quality oriented coffeetable book, - if not in the footsteps of Greg Shaw as I'm not expecting them to be able to pull off that thorough job, - but at least their biggest photo collection book to date. One can't find a thing to buy if they want to - only from the Stones, Zep...
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Dug the video. Thanks, Jdlaw.

Just curious, how much better can these analogue releases sound? I mean will it be worth $25 a pop if you already have the 2008 vinyl box set?
davis

Post by davis »

Unless CDs become extinct, I'm not buying a turntable even for The Doors.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Porsche wrote:
hardrockcafe wrote:Check out the tape box for WFTS. Under "Danger Will Robinson" it says there is tape stretch damage on the song "We Could Be So Good Together." I wonder how they will fix that for these releases? I guess they would have to splice in some sort of repair? Or will they use an alternate safety dub for that song?
Hoffman's mentioned that stretch before -- though he didn't mention which song. It looks like the note dates from 2007, when they were working on the vinyl box. Of the stretch, Hoffman said: "Nothing that a little redub patch job wouldn't take care of..." I have high hopes for what Sax will deliver.
So it sounds like they will make an analog copy of the that song, then patch in coverage of the stretch from another source -- maybe a safety?
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Get the SACDs. It's part of the same campaign.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

hardrockcafe wrote:So it sounds like they will make an analog copy of the that song, then patch in coverage of the stretch from another source -- maybe a safety?
That'd be my guess as well.
Encuentro wrote:Just curious, how much better can these analogue releases sound? I mean will it be worth $25 a pop if you already have the 2008 vinyl box set?
It comes down to personal preference, but here's a review of the debut album which compares the Analogue Productions release to the 2008 vinyl box and the DCC: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/doors-45-45
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

Encuentro wrote:Dug the video. Thanks, Jdlaw.

Just curious, how much better can these analogue releases sound? I mean will it be worth $25 a pop if you already have the 2008 vinyl box set?
No problem!

Well, I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but I can repeat to you what I've read.

1) It's all in the mastering. These are being mastered by Doug Sax, who has a reputation of being one of the best mastering engineers in the business.

2) The vinyl will be 100% analog sourced (using tube amp equipment), with no digital steps. This has been a major debate in the audiophile world, but the general concensus is that vinyl sounds more life like when it's sourced from analog. The Rhino box (while I think was pretty decent), was hi-res digital sourced.

3) The vinyl will be 45rpm, as opposed to the usual 33rpm. Supposedly, 45rpm sounds better.
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

davis wrote:Unless CDs become extinct, I'm not buying a turntable even for The Doors.
In some ways, I don't blame you. CD's are more convenient, and have the potential to sound fantastic depending on the mastering, source used, etc. I certainly won't be getting rid of my CD collection anytime soon.

However, ever since I got turned on to vinyl around 10 years ago, it has been my preference. It's a lot more work and maintenance, but for me it's worth it. The results, IMO, is better sound quality.
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Thanks, Porsche and Jdlaw. The review on analogplanet.com makes a strong case for the double 45, and the debut is digitally sourced as opposed to the other albums. At $50 for the double 45, I may have to buy them one at a time. I certainly can't afford to buy them all at once.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

jdlaw wrote:
davis wrote:Unless CDs become extinct, I'm not buying a turntable even for The Doors.
In some ways, I don't blame you. CD's are more convenient, and have the potential to sound fantastic depending on the mastering, source used, etc. I certainly won't be getting rid of my CD collection anytime soon.

However, ever since I got turned on to vinyl around 10 years ago, it has been my preference. It's a lot more work and maintenance, but for me it's worth it. The results, IMO, is better sound quality.
Couldn't agree more, Vinyl is what music is about. You should get yourself a recordplayer, put on a record and experience it's magic!
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

Technically speaking the dynamic range of a digital recording is way larger than that of analogue recordings. But to use as more 'dynamic' an adjective for vinyl is commonplace, I think, because quite simply put vinyl has a nice subtle influence on the timbre and tone of the recordings. Plus, they were originally recorded and mastered on the gear of the time (now sought after vintage stuff!) for the then current vinyl play back medium. So it's the vinyl and vintage recording aural aesthetic we appreciate. These types of true-to-style reproductions, give us the opportunity to have the old world aesthetic at the highest quality that it can be, without modern technology stepping on the sound.
davis

Post by davis »

The Freedom Man wrote:, Vinyl is what music is about. You should get yourself a recordplayer, put on a record and experience it's magic!
I grew up with vinyl (I was 10 years old when the LMF single was released) but when it came time to replace the needle on my turntable, CDs were the new medium and I could buy a CD player for the same price as replacing my needle, so I bought a CD player.
If I had a turntable now, I'd use it to rip the music to my computer & burn it to CDR. I'd be happy to put on a blindfold and have someone play a song and have me guess if it's from vinyl or CD. w/o pops and cracks I don't think I could tell the difference.

But I do appreciate your enthusiasm for vinyl :D
djonez

Post by djonez »

Amazing video, these releases will be the highlight of the so called year of the doors. And they have nothing to do with the doors co. Go figure!

Im saving up for the vinyl en sacd sets. :D
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

so, who get the first two albums?
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
The Royal Sperm

just watched the video, is great! it makes me want them
www.KatRecords.com
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

You'll have another L.A. Woman to add to your collection! I'm waiting for the SACDs.
The Royal Sperm

yeah len! sadly they are so expensive

and i'll get the SACDs for sure,

the thing that i'm looking for the best sounding Lps of the six studio albums to get, as i don't have any of them, and for now i can afford to many several sets (as i have of the cds) of lps

after reading the link posted by len these are the best soundings since the 60's
www.KatRecords.com
davis

Post by davis »

The Royal Sperm wrote:just watched the video, is great! it makes me want them
haha, then it's done its job :wink:
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but for those who have a preference, which do you believe will sound better the 45s or the SACDs?

Not knowing much about SACDs, I did a search and found this on Wikipedia. According to tests that were done, there is no discernable difference between SACDs and traditional CDs.

"Audible differences compared to PCM/CD

In the audiophile community, the sound from the SACD format is thought to be significantly better than older format Red Book CD recordings.[40] However, in September 2007 the Audio Engineering Society published the results of a year-long trial in which a range of subjects including professional recording engineers were asked to discern the difference between SACD and compact disc audio (44.1 kHz/16 bit) under double blind test conditions. Out of 554 trials, there were 276 correct answers, a 49.8% success rate corresponding almost exactly to the 50% that would have been expected by chance guessing alone.[41] The authors commented:

Now, it is very difficult to use negative results to prove the inaudibility of any given phenomenon or process. There is always the remote possibility that a different system or more finely attuned pair of ears would reveal a difference. But we have gathered enough data, using sufficiently varied and capable systems and listeners, to state that the burden of proof has now shifted. Further claims that careful 16/44.1 encoding audibly degrades high resolution signals must be supported by properly controlled double-blind tests.[42][43]

This conclusion is contentious among the audiophile community.[44] Some have questioned the basic methodology and the equipment used in the AES study.[45]

Double-blind listening tests in 2004 between DSD and 24-bit, 176.4 kHz PCM recordings reported that among test subjects no significant differences could be heard.[46] DSD advocates and equipment manufacturers continue to assert an improvement in sound quality above PCM 24-bit 176.4 kHz.[47] Despite both formats' extended frequency responses, it has been shown people cannot distinguish audio with information above 21 kHz from audio without such high-frequency content.[48]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD
The Royal Sperm

anybody know how much they charge for S&H?
www.KatRecords.com
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

Encuentro wrote:I know it's a matter of personal preference, but for those who have a preference, which do you believe will sound better the 45s or the SACDs?
Tough question. There's fans of both formats that will argue for each. I don't think you could wrong with either, if you're willing to spend the $.

Do you have a better Turn Table or a better SACD player? If you have a really nice turn table but a cheap SACD player, go with the vinyl. (And Vice versa.) I don't own a SACD player (though I'd like one), so the choice was easy for me.

To answer your question, all things being equal it's my opinion that the vinyl will sound slightly better. The difference being that the vinyl is 100% analog, while the SACD's will obviously have to be converted into digital.
Last edited by jdlaw on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

The Royal Sperm wrote:anybody know how much they charge for S&H?
For the vinyl box set they charged me $9.
The Royal Sperm

it sounds reasonable, thanks jd
www.KatRecords.com
Frequincy

Post by Frequincy »

jdlaw wrote:
Encuentro wrote:I know it's a matter of personal preference, but for those who have a preference, which do you believe will sound better the 45s or the SACDs?
Tough question. There's fans of both formats that will argue for each. I don't think you could wrong with either, if you're willing to spend the $.

Do you have a better Turn Table or a better SACD player? If you have a really nice turn table but a cheap SACD player, go with the vinyl. (And Vice versa.) I don't own a SACD player (though I'd like one), so the choice was easy for me.

To answer your question, all things being equal it's my opinion that the vinyl will sound slightly better. The difference being that the vinyl is 100% analog, while the SACD's will obviously have to be converted into digital.
My table is of high quality, better than the consumer Pioneer receiver and speakers to wich it is connected. I need to upgrade my system to reveal the true quality of my table. That being said, I want to hear the new vinyl pressing.
He is the Last Dinosaur!