The Doors Infinite Boxed Sets

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

Holy moly, just going through the first album - astonishing quality! I first listened to selected songs of the 40th anniversary mixes and then compared them with the AS mixes... The AS is soooo much better, much clearer etc. Glad I got them!
Buda

Post by Buda »

Good for you man, listen to it at the proper volume and wait for the coming midnite for The End. Then you can go on to wake up to Strange Days the following morning =)

Now, I gotta go to catch Bob Dylan in June and also happen to buy this or that vinly so I delay buying the box but I think I will walk down the same route as you did. Acoustic Sounds do ship way expensive but this version is more than bearable compared to that.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

If anyone can get hold of the Infinite box (empty) which i know is sold separately anyway, for a cheap price anywhere I'd recommend picking up a few copies and spares as some folks would gladly buy one......er.....like me for instance! :wink:

I'm not paying $100 plus shipping + taxes for the privilege though! It sounds as though some folks have got a bargain recently. Where are these discounted?
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

Regarding the "Should I open or leave sealed?" question, I'm obviously of the frame of mind that these Lp's were made to LISTEN to and enjoy. You can't do that if you keep them sealed and never open them. Call me a cynic but if you never open anything, why buy the complete item? You might just as well get an empty box and have it sealed up on the shelf, if you're never going to enjoy the contents.

BUT, there's something else to consider here. A brand new sealed box might not contain the complete undamaged contents you anticipate inside. About 65% of all modern vinyl I buy gets returned and replaced until I'm completely satisfied that I have purchased perfectly flat, non-warped clean vinyl without scratches, scuffs or pressing faults. My sleeves must also be free from creases, tears and seam splits. If I didn't open everything how would I ever know? There's nothing worse than opening a sealed item that's 40 years old and finding either the wrong or more likely defective contents inside. I couldn't sleep at night unless I knew what was in the box!

As for the issue of poor sales of the Infinite box, it's a sad reflection of the market today. On the one hand it seems people are not prepared to pay for quality anymore and on the other, judging from Steve Hoffman's forum, half the members there would snap up ANOTHER vinyl re-issue / box of Creedence Clearwater Revival on 33 or 45 or both. CCR stock appears to disappear faster than it is stocked. I mean I like CCR and all that and I'm not knocking them but come on, they aren't The Doors either!
Buda

Post by Buda »

I agree with all the points you come up with. And believe me, I fear for my vinyls still sitting unopened because of the reasons you lined up. But you know, I am too weak for that and I will not be able to stand the urge not to open them, so I will def open them soon (like D'Angelo's Voodoo). Actually in this case, a lot of collectors I guess have to swallow this pill. If you want to buy your all-time fav album and sealed (after 10 yrs of its release) you just have to bear with the minor consequences of it might be damaged. Notice though, that it still worth much more in its sealed state than a used but confirmed excellent copy.

What I was thinking a lot of times, is to buy two pieces of everything, leave all the second ones sealed. This way you can make a good investment for sure but only in case buying the proper vinyl releases. For instance if one would buy all the best ones from Analogue productions or Mobile Fidelity, their prices would multiply for sure by the time they reach their 15th anniversary.

You can see on ebay original sealed vinyls released back in the nineties, say Nine Inch Nales Fragile in 1998, never reissued (though this year it will be) and it goes for heavenly prices and '98 was not that long ago, huh?
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

steve1234 wrote: ... I mean I like CCR and all that and I'm not knocking them but come on, they aren't The Doors either!
You're right. CCR were not the Doors. But the Doors were not CCR. In context of the times (you have to have been there) CCR was just as groundbreaking and unique sounding to our ears as the Doors. Nothing like either band, before or since. Early CCR was mind blowing, but you need to take their releases in order...

It's one thing to discover these bands and albums piece-meal in no logical order of their release, it just won't have the impact of hearing them as they became real on vinyl. I wish for you all to have had that experience! Nowadays it's just such a mess & maelstrom of music, the 60's were the laboratory of new discoveries...a brave new world. "LIke A Rolling Stone", "Eight Miles High", "For What It's Worth", "Break On Through", "Hey Jude"...one new release after the other, just imagine!

Man! Those were the days!

Suzie Q and then Born on the Bayou were truly amazing. If you had heard Down On the Corner first and all you hear over and over are the later hits including Bad Moon Rising, you might wonder what all the fuss is about.

But then I remember "Hello I Love You" and all of "Waiting for the Sun" for that matter to be major disappointments in 1968 after the epic first two LPs. We were hoping for another epic long track only to find nothing but lyrics inside to a mystery long concert song--we were like, "what's with that?!" All we could do was wish that it had been included and why wasn't it? It made a good album seem lacking somehow--still does for me. We didn't have bootlegs at all. So imagine starting your Doors education out of context with "Hello I Love You"..maybe never to bother with them again.

Well anyway, CCR for me are as monumentally important as the Doors to my musical & life education as a teen--hearing Born On The Bayou or Suzie Q uncut on underground FM, driving around in a smoke & haze filled VW beetle was about as good as it gets...and then...the full length "When the Music's Over" blares out from those small speakers, followed by maybe, the full length Chambers Brothers' "Time Has Come Today", or "In The Court Of The Crimson King"....

WOW! It doesn't get any better, does it?!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

In context of the times (you have to have been there) CCR was just as groundbreaking and unique sounding to our ears as the Doors. Nothing like either band, before or since. Early CCR was mind blowing, but you need to take their releases in order...
I understand you and would definitely agree even though I am not old enough to have experienced these things first time around. Well, I wasn't even born when The Doors S/T came out for a start!

Having said that I can begin to understand some of the impact certain LP's must have had in their time and after a while if you fully absorb an artist's complete body of work (as I have done many times) you can more readily relate each album to the larger body of work as well as to other artists' albums within a contemporary time-frame.

What bothers me slightly is todays obsession with downloading digital files of music and the box set repackaging of individual albums. I'm sure a lot of appreciation felt be Jamestkirk for these records in their day would be lost on a much younger generation with shorter attention spans and more material available to them.

I saw a professional review of Bob Dylan's "Complete Album Collection" that said it was unlikely that anyone buying all the albums in one box would ever give sufficient time to some of the weaker albums and would therefore miss a few gems. Equally someone who has spent a bit of time tracking down an LP is probably more likely to spend time with it than another person who gets a digital copy of it dumped on disc within a set. Something about the appreciation for the ALBUM as an art-form in itself with the original artwork and packaging will probably be lost on a generation who only download individual tracks.

I'm probably quite lucky in as much as I'm one of the last generation to really fully appreciate the record album - CD's "replaced" vinyl about 4 years after I'd started buying LP's (now they're being "replaced" by vinyl again....the irony!). As well as this, I'm also young enough to still want to buy new releases including albums of archive material and live performances that fans from the 60's probably only got to dream about back in the day.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

steve1234 wrote:
In context of the times (you have to have been there) CCR was just as groundbreaking and unique sounding to our ears as the Doors. Nothing like either band, before or since. Early CCR was mind blowing, but you need to take their releases in order...
I understand you and would definitely agree even though I am not old enough to have experienced these things first time around. Well, I wasn't even born when The Doors S/T came out for a start!

Having said that I can begin to understand some of the impact certain LP's must have had in their time and after a while if you fully absorb an artist's complete body of work (as I have done many times) you can more readily relate each album to the larger body of work as well as to other artists' albums within a contemporary time-frame.

What bothers me slightly is todays obsession with downloading digital files of music and the box set repackaging of individual albums. I'm sure a lot of appreciation felt be Jamestkirk for these records in their day would be lost on a much younger generation with shorter attention spans and more material available to them.

I saw a professional review of Bob Dylan's "Complete Album Collection" that said it was unlikely that anyone buying all the albums in one box would ever give sufficient time to some of the weaker albums and would therefore miss a few gems. Equally someone who has spent a bit of time tracking down an LP is probably more likely to spend time with it than another person who gets a digital copy of it dumped on disc within a set. Something about the appreciation for the ALBUM as an art-form in itself with the original artwork and packaging will probably be lost on a generation who only download individual tracks.

I'm probably quite lucky in as much as I'm one of the last generation to really fully appreciate the record album - CD's "replaced" vinyl about 4 years after I'd started buying LP's (now they're being "replaced" by vinyl again....the irony!). As well as this, I'm also young enough to still want to buy new releases including albums of archive material and live performances that fans from the 60's probably only got to dream about back in the day.
Good to hear, steve.

I agree that it's impossible nowadays via mp3 or even CD to appreciate music in the context of the times and to understand what it is to listen to an album in the tracking order intended by the artists, and actually enjoying flipping the platter over for side two! My nephew just got a vintage TT and is collecting albums for the first time. He said he has never felt so connected to the music, holding that beautiful 12 x 12" album artwork and listening to the warm, rich sounds from his vinyl. Brilliant! He is addicted to vinyl in only a few short weeks. Goes out every weekend in search of the REAL DEAL music he has only known in the form of CDs and mp3's.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

For those out there who also bought those Acoustic Sound LP's: I just discovered that one LP is mislabled :cry:

While the music is right (WFTS side 3), it's labeled as "Side 3, Strange Days" with the 3 songs People are Strange, My Eyes have seen You and I can't see you're Face in my Mind.

Would it be too much to complain? What do you think? Would they give a replacement LP? It's just that the set did cost 400 bucks...
Buda

Post by Buda »

I don't know, while it is obviously an unfortunate thing, you can re-sell it and might even generate more, as in the case of some misprints, or at least the same retail price. This is surely a one-of-a-kind release, all depends on how you advertsie it! ;)
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

I agree. Whilst for me personally I'd much rather have the correct printed label, for some, to have that mistake will generate a lot more interest. I doubt the mistake described will change the perceived value either way though. I have an LP somewhere, not The Doors, that has two 'A' sides. It's damn annoying as you never know whether you're hearing the first side until the music starts!

If it was me I'd ask for a replacement. That is unless they charge you for the return and post costs!
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

Thanks for your replies, guys. Yeah, I guess I'll ask for a replacement, but I won't bother to send it back etc.

Just listened to Strange Days yesterday, man, mind-blowing!
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

And again me; two questions:

- On Morrison Hotel, anybody else got Maggie M'Gill labeled on the vinyl as only running 2:08? Because it does run 4 minutes and something...

- And: this is great about LP sleeves, they are big! So I'm looking at the inside cover of the LP of Morrison Hotel and there it is... I'm pretty sure Babe Hill is there on the right behind Ray. What do you think? I don't remember this beeing mentioned before, correct me if I'm wrong!

http://dvp14a235i3p5.cloudfront.net/wp- ... 1915_1.jpg
Buda

Post by Buda »

It's Babe, I bet too. Can't tell more about the running time thing. Seems you really got a one-of-a-kind release. But don't worry, as I can see, you received it with Jim's autograph :lol:
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

It's not Babe. That's a much older man. His hair appears to be gray, and its very short around the ears. Babe had some length to his hair.
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

Encuentro wrote:It's not Babe. That's a much older man. His hair appears to be gray, and its very short around the ears. Babe had some length to his hair.
I mean the guy behind this old man, you can see his face and he has a beard.
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Mystery Train wrote:
Encuentro wrote:It's not Babe. That's a much older man. His hair appears to be gray, and its very short around the ears. Babe had some length to his hair.
I mean the guy behind this old man, you can see his face and he has a beard.
OK. I don't think that's him either. It doesn't look like him, in my opinion.
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

I don't know either. It could be him, it's hard to say. Has anyone got a contemporary picture of him so we can look closer and compare? Finding pictures of Babe Hill on the net isn't easy!
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

Mystery Train wrote:And again me; two questions:

- On Morrison Hotel, anybody else got Maggie M'Gill labeled on the vinyl as only running 2:08? Because it does run 4 minutes and something...

- And: this is great about LP sleeves, they are big! So I'm looking at the inside cover of the LP of Morrison Hotel and there it is... I'm pretty sure Babe Hill is there on the right behind Ray. What do you think? I don't remember this beeing mentioned before, correct me if I'm wrong!

http://dvp14a235i3p5.cloudfront.net/wp- ... 1915_1.jpg
Heh, interesting.

On My LP, running time of Maggie M'Gill is 4:24 (so it definitely runs over 4 minutes).
Sure looks like Babe Hill, I've seen some photos from documentaries, can anybody confirm is it really him on the inner sleeve?
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

steve1234 wrote:I don't know either. It could be him, it's hard to say. Has anyone got a contemporary picture of him so we can look closer and compare? Finding pictures of Babe Hill on the net isn't easy!
I guess it could be him. Similar eyebrows.
miltonjumbee

Post by miltonjumbee »

Great link:
http://www.popspotsnyc.com/the_doors_morrison_hotel/

ImageImage

It reminds me of a question I had about the reflections on the window of the hotel. I had the confirmation that is the John's van.
(Look my post in Dec. 16, 2012) http://thefreedomman.com/forum/viewtopi ... start=1320
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

I reckon it's him now!
Frequincy

Post by Frequincy »

I need to listen to these again now lol
He is the Last Dinosaur!
perceptionman

Post by perceptionman »

I also bought this boxset but I want to invest on a decent vinyl turntable.

I was thinking on buying this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Ject-Carbon ... but+carbon

Do you have any opinion? Which turntables and amps do you guys have?

I haven't open the box yet, since I want to play the LPs in a good turntable.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

I have a Thorens TD 166. Good vinyl should be played on a Thorens.They are not expensive, once you have a good element and needle, they are just great.
Still looking for a good amp, should be with tubes, and then I will be happy!

But if I had some serious money I'd buy this one, it's soo cool!
http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/turntables/gyrose/
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Doug Sax, who mastered these AP 45 rpm releases, passed away today from cancer.
http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.com/ ... R371_zF-mQ
http://www.discogs.com/artist/365860-Doug-Sax
Buda

Post by Buda »

What a great loss. RIP Doug.
anytimecowboy

Re: The Doors Infinite Boxed Sets

Post by anytimecowboy »

can anyone suggest where to source these at a reasonable price. Ive found one on discogs new at £230 but they wont ship outside the US
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

I've recently bought a copy of the AP La woman 45rpm vinyl. has anyone noticed the ghost track just before cars hiss? I can hear some instrumentation before the track starts, I havent heard this before
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

anytimecowboy wrote:I've recently bought a copy of the AP La woman 45rpm vinyl. has anyone noticed the ghost track just before cars hiss? I can hear some instrumentation before the track starts, I havent heard this before

can't recall that, i'll check it later
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com