The Doors Infinite Boxed Sets

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

jdlaw wrote:
Encuentro wrote:I know it's a matter of personal preference, but for those who have a preference, which do you believe will sound better the 45s or the SACDs?
Tough question. There's fans of both formats that will argue for each. I don't think you could wrong with either, if you're willing to spend the $.

Do you have a better Turn Table or a better SACD player? If you have a really nice turn table but a cheap SACD player, go with the vinyl. (And Vice versa.) I don't own a SACD player (though I'd like one), so the choice was easy for me.

To answer your question, all things being equal it's my opinion that the vinyl will sound slightly better. The difference being that the vinyl is 100% analog, while the SACD's will obviously have to be converted into digital.
Thanks, man. That goes to show you how much I know about SACDs. I didn't even know you needed an SACD player. I thought you could play them in a regular CD player. So, the obvious answer to your question is I have a better turntable. I don't know how nice it is. It's an Audio Technica.
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-PL60- ... ord+player
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

Well, you can play SACD's using a regular CD player. SACD's are dual layer, one side being SACD and the other being CD. I bet the CD side will still sound fantastic, but perhaps not quite as good as the SACD.

That said, keep in mind that sound quality is very subjective. Much of it depends on your hearing, your equipment, your listening room, etc. For example, I've read reviews of the Rolling Stones' 2002 SACD's by people who can't tell the difference between the CD & the SACD side.

Ultimately, I don't think a fan could go wrong with either in regards to killer sound quality. However, considering you have a nice turntable but no SACD player (like myself), I'd have to recommend the vinyl.
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

here are a review of the S/T album and Strange Days

http://myvinylreview.blogspot.com/2012/ ... logue.html

Waiting for the sun and The soft parade are out now
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

In case anyone cares, the vinyl box has been delayed until January 7, 2013. It was scheduled for October 2nd of this year.
The Royal Sperm

jdlaw wrote:In case anyone cares, the vinyl box has been delayed until January 7, 2013. It was scheduled for October 2nd of this year.
4 of 6 are already available, even in ebay, maybe they need extra time to manufacture the box itself, MH and LAW will be out next month
www.KatRecords.com
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Did anybody get the vinyl? If so, how do they sound? Do they live up to the hype?
The Royal Sperm

Encuentro wrote:Did anybody get the vinyl? If so, how do they sound? Do they live up to the hype?
yeah, good question, i want them, but for the moment can't afford them,

the doors made too many releases this year
www.KatRecords.com
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

Encuentro wrote:Did anybody get the vinyl? If so, how do they sound? Do they live up to the hype?
I ordered the box set, but won't receive it until January, 2013. However, from reviews I've read by those who own individual titles (people on the Steve Hoffman Forum, etc), they definitely live up to the hype.

From what I've read, it's pretty unanimous that these kill the Rhino pressings from a few years back. Also, some people think they equal and in some cases (Strange Days, Soft Parade) surpass the original pressings.
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

I'm hurting for funds nowadays, so I have to be a little frugal. I simply can't afford these. However, if I do decide to go with one to start, it would probably be Strange Days rather than the debut, because the debut wasn't cut from the original analog master.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

I've heard Strange Days and the sound is just awesome, tight, you can hear everything on it.So far the best release on vinyl.Very expensive I have to say, Strange Days was 70 Euro's.
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
Buda

Post by Buda »

Finally some good news.. I will be looking forward to it. Also I know it is a different animal, but hope someone will transfer it digitally, eventually.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
Frequincy

Post by Frequincy »

Since these are 45-RPM vs 33&1/3, do you have to adjust any thing on your table? Iv'e never owned a 200g 45-RPM record before.

My player is a Vestax BDT-2500. It has completely variable pitch adjustment, which is pretty nice for old discs, big band stuff I like that sometimes were cut badly, resulting in higher or lower pitch issues.
He is the Last Dinosaur!
The Royal Sperm

download: http://alllossless.net/17632-the-doors- ... vinyl.html
Doc's new rip with all new upgraded equipment!

Mastered by Doug Sax using an all-tube system. Overseen by Bruce Botnick, The Doors producer/engineer.

Two 45 rpm LPs pressed on 200-gram vinyl at Quality Record Pressings/Also on Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Part of The Doors reissue series proudly presented by Analogue Productions and Quality Record Pressings!

The Doors self-titled 1967 release famously contains some incorrect speed and pitch issues. While there have been “corrected” versions made, in the interests of being historically accurate, this Analogue Productions reissue was cut without speed or pitch correction.

Rip Info

The Doors - The Doors
Analogue Productions APP 74007-45 (2012)
Mastered by Doug Sax, Mastering Lab
200G Quality Record Pressings
24-bit / 96kHz Vinyl Rip by Dr. Robert
August 2012

Vinyl condition: New Sealed

Side 1: AAP 74007-45-A TML-M QRP
Side 2: AAP 74007-45-B TML-M QRP
Side 3: AAP 74007-45-C TML-M QRP
Side 4: AAP 74007-45-D TML-M QRP

Nitty Gritty RCM 1.5
VPI TNT Mark IV with VPI SDS Synchronous Drive System
Eminent Technology ET2 Tonearm Air Bearing Late Version
Lyra Clavis Da Capo MC cartridge
Tuntable speed verified using KAB SpeedStrobe
Nova Phenomena Phono Preamp
Lavry AD11 external USB 2.0 ADC
Audioquest G-Snake LGC interconnects (TT to Pre to IA)
Mogami Gold TS/RCA interconnects (IA to ADC)
Mac Pro Dual Zeon 2.66 GHz
Adobe Audition 5.5 for recording
Click Repair 3.7 (manual mode only)
iZotope RX Advanced 2.02 for Declick (manual mode only)
iZotope RX Advanced 2.02 for Redbook conversion
Resample @ Filter Steepness: 80, Cutoff shift: 0.98, Pre-ringing: 1.0 /
Dither@ Noise shaping (MBIT+)
xACT Version 2.15 (4791) for Redbook SBE correction, MD5 checksum and Redbook FLAC
XLD Version 20120407 (140.0) for 24/96 FLAC conversion
Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB 1200 Pro Scanner

RCM > TNT > Lyra > Preamp > ADC > Mac Pro > Adobe Audition @ 32/96 >
analyze (no clipping, DC Bias offset correction, gain adjusted to -0.3 dB) >
Click Repair and/or iZotope Declick/Spectral Repair used in manual mode >
FLAC encoded Level 8 with XLD

No DeNoise was used on this rip.
All de-clicking software used in full manual mode to preserve musical transients.
No music was harmed in the making of this vinyl rip.
No silence been removed, please burn gapless to match original track layout.

You are free to share this along with credit
"Rip by Dr. Robert"

Macintosh users can convert FLAC to Apple Lossless using XLD
and can verify MD5 checksums with xAct.

Mac and Windows users can burn these HiRes tracks to Audio DVD with DVD2One.
Roxio Toast will also work, but will add a one second gap between tracks.

Mac users can burn as DVD-Audio with Burn. Windows users recommend Cirlinca DVD Audio Solo.

i just noticed that hte links doesn't work, but must be available elsewhere
www.KatRecords.com
Buda

Post by Buda »

Currently at a remarkable price of $50.00...

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/78311 ... nyl_Record
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

I just purchased Strange Days. It will be my first of these releases. I chose this one before the debut, because it's cut from the masters. The debut is the only album not cut from the masters.
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

Just curious, how much better can these analogue releases sound? I mean will it be worth $25 a pop if you already have the 2008 vinyl box set?
Please wipe the 2008 Rhino releases from your brains! These AP issues do seriously kill them all dead. There is no comparison between the two. At 45rpm you have a lot longer groove travel and therefore more information per second than a pressing at 33 and 1/3rpm. That together with the analogue sourced material, tube cutting and an expert doing the job gives you one great set of albums.

I see some folks are complaining about the cost. I live in the UK and it has cost me £50 per album factoring in UK Customs, handling and shipping charges. That's the same as $80 per abum! I bought direct from Acoustic Sounds seeing as though most UK retailers are asking £90 each for them. Yeah, I kid you not, that's $144 each!

I'm not complaining because they are better than SACD (obviously) and simply eclipse all other issues. And it's The Doors after all! :wink:
Frequincy

Post by Frequincy »

I want to get these. Money is the main factor. I bet they are amazing sounding, especially on my Hi-Fi tube system.
He is the Last Dinosaur!
Buda

Post by Buda »

Believe me, these are so hot, that you will feel their warmness on any system.
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

I totally agree. Just for comparison sake, I listened to The Soft Parade on AP and then the same album on Rhino LP followed by the 1999 CD remaster. Now, let's be honest for a minute, those CD's sound excellent and improve on the already great 88 CD's by a small margin. As far as I know there have never been any other remasters of the original mixes in Redbook format?

Anyway, I noticed a considerable drop in sound quality from AP to Rhino. Densmore is the winner in these AP issues. The Rhino LP makes the drums sound more distant, less clear and distinctly mushy sounding. It's all very brittle with little warmth and attack. Dropping down to the all digital masters from '99 you then notice how cramped and limited the soundstage gets. Sadly, the CD's sound very harsh and thin compared to even the Rhino LP's. However when compared to the AP Lp's, there is no contest. Even when played back on a very high end CDP, they lack the warmth detail and resolution of a good vinyl. But that good vinyl only really comes with the AP sets. My appreciation for Densmore's work alone has more than tripled since listening to these vinyls. The kick drum can be really felt as well as heard!
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

steve1234 wrote:I totally agree. Just for comparison sake, I listened to The Soft Parade on AP and then the same album on Rhino LP followed by the 1999 CD remaster. Now, let's be honest for a minute, those CD's sound excellent and improve on the already great 88 CD's by a small margin. As far as I know there have never been any other remasters of the original mixes in Redbook format?

Anyway, I noticed a considerable drop in sound quality from AP to Rhino. Densmore is the winner in these AP issues. The Rhino LP makes the drums sound more distant, less clear and distinctly mushy sounding. It's all very brittle with little warmth and attack. Dropping down to the all digital masters from '99 you then notice how cramped and limited the soundstage gets. Sadly, the CD's sound very harsh and thin compared to even the Rhino LP's. However when compared to the AP Lp's, there is no contest. Even when played back on a very high end CDP, they lack the warmth detail and resolution of a good vinyl. But that good vinyl only really comes with the AP sets. My appreciation for Densmore's work alone has more than tripled since listening to these vinyls. The kick drum can be really felt as well as heard!
Michael Fremer from Analog Planet agrees with you.

"As on the reissue of the first Doors album the absolute star of this reissue, (especially if you’ve spent 45 years with the originals!) is John Densmore. I promise, you’ve never heard the drums like this, but then you’ve never heard the album like this, period. The faux leather clad box set just doesn’t matter anymore."
http://www.analogplanet.com/content/mut ... e-45rpm-lp
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

Michael Fremer from Analog Planet agrees with you.
Thanks for the link! I'd never heard of that site before now so that's another place I will regularly visit . :wink:

All in all, his reviews are quite interesting to say the least.
Frequincy

Post by Frequincy »

steve1234 wrote:I totally agree. Just for comparison sake, I listened to The Soft Parade on AP and then the same album on Rhino LP followed by the 1999 CD remaster. Now, let's be honest for a minute, those CD's sound excellent and improve on the already great 88 CD's by a small margin. As far as I know there have never been any other remasters of the original mixes in Redbook format?

This description makes my mouth water. I need to get these. My mind is made up.
He is the Last Dinosaur!
Buda

Post by Buda »

We didn't mention the quality of the cases. Also unprecedented photo-paper quality versions that "never looked as lively and intact as with these analogue releases." Truly a work of art.
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

And what about the THICKNESS of those sleeves? Probably the best quality card I have in my collection. The lamination is also excellent. As if that isn't all enough, you have to applaud the quality of the polythene inner bags. At first I thought I had three inner bags accidentally stuck together - they are such nice quality.

The Doors are my favourite band of all time. I also think they are one of the best and most influential bands of all time. They deserve nothing less than the AP vinyl sets.

Whatever your opinion of "Other Voices" and "Full Circle" is, I can't help secretly wishing AP would get the rights to add the final two Doors albums to the set. I know it's not going to happen but it would have been interesting to see what AP could've done with them.

I haven't got the outer box marked "Infinite" as I can't see the point. All these albums were individually released in their day and they are not part of a "box set". That's not to diminish the lovely presentation of the optional box but, come on, 100 bucks! I think it should be discounted for all those of us who have splashed out on the LPs individually. I'd pay $40 but not $100, however smart it might be.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

A smart package and a dumb buy...? $100 is cash I reserve for 1960's NM original first press vinyl.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Buda

Post by Buda »

James, obviously it can not be a dumb investment when it sounds much better than the original/first pressing. The latter should go into the archive while the new one onto the turntable! :wink:
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Listened to my newly arrived AP Strange Days last night, and I was absolutely blown away with it, the packaging and the sound! It's well worth $50 + $7 for shipping that I paid for it. This will definitely be my go to for Strange Days, and I, like many of you, have multiple versions including the Rhino vinyl box set version.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

I believe you all...

Still hard for me to play anything but my original mono 1967 vinyl DOORS, & Strange Days. It is the way it was meant to be heard. Guess I'm getting old... :wink:

Of course they say, the first thing to go is your hearing!

:wink:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
davis

Post by davis »

mono, stereo, quad, 5.1, whatever, I never tire of the Doors' music.
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

jamestkirk wrote:I believe you all...

Still hard for me to play anything but my original mono 1967 vinyl DOORS, & Strange Days. It is the way it was meant to be heard. Guess I'm getting old... :wink:

Of course they say, the first thing to go is your hearing!

:wink:
I'm sure they're wonderful. It's just a matter of finding clean, reasonably priced copies which is nearly impossible, especially for Strange Days. I know you're a vinyl lover. The vinyl lover in you would love these all-tube pressings.