The Doors Infinite Boxed Sets

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

It's just a matter of finding clean, reasonably priced copies which is nearly impossible
That's so true. This is a problem I have encountered more often than I'm prepared to tolerate these days. During the past six years I have been looking for several 1960's albums on original mono vinyl pressings. I have used Discogs, eBay and other online outlets. I am very particular and usually dismiss 95% of the listings I see which to me at least are often fairly glib with comments like "mint condition" (read: no 1960's pressing can ever be truly mint, even an unplayed copy as atmospheric conditions and time will have added something to the mix that wasn't there when it was brand new).

I have purchased a number of vinyl records (vinyl still offers the best sound quality and is preferred to CD in every way) which have been very very carefully selected from the hundreds regularly listed. However, without exception, they have all been returned as I could not live with any of them. I have been reassured that these LP's are near mint, barely played with unmarked sleeves etc and yet all of them have had very obvious faults which can be seen within seconds of removing them from the packaging ie. surface scuffs, scratches, needle digs, seam splits, writing indentations on sleeves, creases, fading / yellowing of colours etc.

And then there's the classic case of listening to these poor condition vinyls which usually have been played to death and exhibit groove wear distortion, crackle and pops galore. Contrary to what some people think, vinyl records can be kept for decades without ever exhibiting these problems but it takes GREAT CARE to do it. My own collection of vinyl is predominantly made up of albums I purchased new in the 1980's and early 1990's with a lot of more recent "audiophile / 180g" re-issues. None of my collection has suffered from background noise, crackle and pops. This I believe is down to several decisions I made when I bought the records brand new. Firstly, I never cleaned them! Rubbing cloths, velvet brushes and other "record cleaners" over vinyl can add to the static charge build up which attracts more dust and debris than it initially removes. There is also a small risk of scratching the vinyl. Secondly, I always put all my records in POLY-LINED INNER SLEEVES to keep them dust free and devoid of static. The best way to remove dust which still builds up on some records over time is to let the stylus pick it up and then clean the stylus!

All my records are stored vertically in plastic protective outer sleeves. They are stacked closely together but not too tight so that it is difficult to pull one out.

Judging by the quality of condition of most second-hand vinyl I see, not many people follow my practice. I no longer want to risk buying dodgy condition vinyl even when the seller is positively frothing at the mouth with superlatives to describe a copy of an album that he believes is mint. Sorry, but I've "been there, done that" and I've yet to be impressed.

The other bugbear of mine is the constant reference (in the UK and Europe at least) to the "Record Collector Grading System" as though it is some kind of Holy Grail! What irritates me is that the definitions of "Excellent" and "Very Good / Good" etc are so vague as to be completely meaningless. One man's "little lessening in sound quality" is another man's unlistenable. Why do so many people religiously follow such a vague and in-precise system which is open to so much personal interpretation and mostly abuse? I've read all the definitions many many times and I still can't be sure how I would grade my own "perfect" LP's using it. It seems as though most of my vinyl would be "mint" or "near mint" and yet to me that would be misleading. However, dropping down to EX+ puts my collection with most eBay sellers' lots and judging from my own personal and tough experience, this would be a gross under-sell and wouldn't reflect the true condition compared to what most others are offering.

So for me today it has to be new vinyl or it's back to that anachronism, CD! :wink:

Sorry for the long rant but hey sometimes you just have to say what's on your mind. :lol:
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Encuentro wrote:
jamestkirk wrote:I believe you all...

Still hard for me to play anything but my original mono 1967 vinyl DOORS, & Strange Days. It is the way it was meant to be heard. Guess I'm getting old... :wink:

Of course they say, the first thing to go is your hearing!

:wink:
I'm sure they're wonderful. It's just a matter of finding clean, reasonably priced copies which is nearly impossible, especially for Strange Days. I know you're a vinyl lover. The vinyl lover in you would love these all-tube pressings.
Yes, I believe I would!

And it is very hard to find clean and especially Near Mint copies of first pressings, mono OR stereo!

I do realize just how lucky I am to have a VG clean copy of my own original mono THE DOORS (bought by myself in 1967), and a NM stereo copy...

I have a VG+ first pressing stereo Strange Days (also purchased in 1967)...and a perfect NM mono first pressing of Strange Days...which I snatched up recently for under $50!!

I also have Waiting for the Sun...NM stereo first pressing

Soft Parade first pressing gold label. NM

Morrison Hotel first pressing red label. NM

I'm happy!

:mrgreen:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

Porsche wrote: Thanks for that link! Loved seeing the master reel boxes with all the handwritten notes added over the years. These look better than the 2008 vinyl box. Should sound better, too. I'll be interested to hear the debut.
Thought everyone might enjoy seeing these pics. Scanned them from the Infinite booklet:

Last edited by jdlaw on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Awesome! Very cool of you to share, jdlaw!
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

Interesting the notes say that the speed of LMF is "all over the place..."

and cool that we got pics of THE reel that was first digitized in 1987.
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

So that's why there is an clumsy edit in "We Could Be So Good Together" on the 1988 CD! It always jarred with me after hearing it correctly on admittedly second generation masters transferred to vinyl. The 88 CD's were the first use of the original masters for a long time by which time there was evident damage in certain places. I always wondered what decision dictated this clumsy edit and now I know.

So how did they fix this digitally in 1999 and 2007?
mystery_train67

where's the clunky edit steve?
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

It's been a long time since I pulled out the 88 discs but if I recall correctly it comes right after the guitar break in the middle of the song and jumps abruptly into the chorus? There is definitely something wrong / missing in that song on the original 88 CD anyway.
Buda

Post by Buda »

Thanks for providing a glimpse jdlaw. Looks good. =)
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
Frequincy

Post by Frequincy »

Awesome!
He is the Last Dinosaur!
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

It says "Danger Will Robinson" on the notes for WFTS regarding WCBSGT. :D

Edit: The notes for WFTS are for the 40th anniversary remaster. The notes at the bottom are in a darker ink. I guess they were added later. A few of the albums have '87 or '07 dates written on them.
mystery_train67

Man, I've lost/loaned all my Doors albums over the years to the point that I pretty much only have 80s repressing vinyls and the perception box. I wish I could compare the 88 masters to the 97 remaster box, to the 40th anniversary masters. Ugh.
perceptionman

Post by perceptionman »

How does the sacds sound, when comparing to the dvd-a from the Perception box-set? What about the 5.1 mix? Is it that different?
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

Just wanted to order the debut album through acousticsounds.com. The LPs itself are 50$, but shipping is plus 36$ to Europe! Anybody in Europe ordered them elsewhere??? Or is this the only way to go?

Also, is it correct that it is cheaper to buy all the LPs individually (6x50$=300$) than ordering the limited Boxset (400$)?
Buda

Post by Buda »

I tend to go to ebay to check them out occasionally and there are a few better priced individual offers there than acoustic's and also in mint condition. I think it is not limited (only the box version) so I guess no time to rush, we eventually will find our sources.

And yeah, if you are not fond of the booklet and the numbered box itself (are the LPs also numbered?) than your better off with a hundred bucks.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

steve1234 wrote:
It's just a matter of finding clean, reasonably priced copies which is nearly impossible
...It seems as though most of my vinyl would be "mint" or "near mint" and yet to me that would be misleading. However, dropping down to EX+ puts my collection with most eBay sellers' lots and judging from my own personal and tough experience, this would be a gross under-sell and wouldn't reflect the true condition compared to what most others are offering.

So for me today it has to be new vinyl or it's back to that anachronism, CD! :wink:

Sorry for the long rant but hey sometimes you just have to say what's on your mind. :lol:

Condition ratings are often intentionally misleading. I fortunately have two fine used record shops nearby that are very honest with their ratings. VG++ is about as high as any record should be rated. Ebay sellers are mostly either ignorant or trying to get away with something--pricing old LPS on the mere fact they are old does not make them valuable. Junk is junk.

Here is what the ratings really should reflect--

P - POOR...what many sellers on ebay are passing off as playable, calling them G, but they are so scratched they would ruin your stylus. These records should only be used for frisbees or large coasters. Should not be sold or even given away unless you need the cover & that should be free.

G - GOOD...not playable either. The shine is gone and there are hundreds of surface scratches and noise. Not playable either for those who love records. They could be framed or tacked on the wall if the label is cool..good for wall decor, but don't pay mre than a buck!

VG - VERY GOOD - jacket will be worn but passable. Vinyl will have surface scratches due to pulling the record out of the liner. But it should play with only minor noise. This is only worth buying (for a dollar or two) if it is rare and you may not see it again for a long time.

VG+ -VERY GOOD PLUS - This is the condition most "near mint" vinyl is in that should be sold as a "nice" VG+ copy. It should be shiney when viewed at an angle, very light surface scratches from removing vinyl from inner liner, AND should play pretty much LIKE-NEW. The record jacket shows almost no wear except for maybe a slightly bent corner.

NM - NEAR MINT - the most misused rating of all. Any record rated NM is almost always VG+, and that is by honest sellers and dealers...but really they should know better...rather call them VG++. NEAR MINT should look and play like the shrink wrap was just ripped of...or you will be paying premium prices for VG+ vinyl.
Beware of any record rated NM. I bought an unopened still-in-the-shrink Beatles record from 1965 and it still had some light surface scratches just because it had been in there for 40 years. It DID justify NM, though technically it could have been rated MINT-still in the shrink (but one corner was bent and slightly torn open).

BUT DON"T TRUST still-in-the-shrink still...there are those who have access to shrink wrap machines that have been known to re-shrink wrap VG+ records. I stopped buying vinyl from ebay, as Steve1234 has, it's just too risky. Find a good shop.

Granted even a few VG lps that are extremely rare will command high prices just because there are only a handful of that particular artist's record out there. A stereo copy of a first pressing of the VeeJay record "Introducing The Beatles" went for $12,000. If it had been VG+ is might have gone for $20,000. A VG+ copy of Beatle's "Yesterday & Today" with the BUTCHER COVER when for $28,000.

A VG+ copy of Dylan's "The Freewheeling..." sold for $28,000. It was thought to not exist before someone found it at a church basement sale. It is the one with the songs that were soon deleted from all later pressings--the songs that Dylan was told by Ed Sullivan's producer "you can't play those on the air". So Dylan didn't--he refused to go on the show and never did appear on the Big Show.

Happy hunting - don't stop buying the good stuff....60's vinyl is still out there and in VG+ condition, just waiting to be found!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

thanks for the replies. So what do you guys think, compared to the other numbered vinyl Boxset back from 2008, which one can/will probably gain more value? And which one sounds better? I've read many reviews claiming that this edition is the best sounding one. Comments?
Buda

Post by Buda »

Obviously this one. Leave everything behind and take Analogue's releases. These LPs will keep its worthiness even more if its stored sealed.
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

Mystery Train wrote:Just wanted to order the debut album through acousticsounds.com. The LPs itself are 50$, but shipping is plus 36$ to Europe! Anybody in Europe ordered them elsewhere??? Or is this the only way to go?

Also, is it correct that it is cheaper to buy all the LPs individually (6x50$=300$) than ordering the limited Boxset (400$)?
try amazon.co.uk
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
Frequincy

Post by Frequincy »

Buda wrote:Obviously this one. Leave everything behind and take Analogue's releases. These LPs will keep its worthiness even more if its stored sealed.
I have to open mine and listen to them. I never resell anything anyways. They will have to be taken from my cold dead fingers LOL
He is the Last Dinosaur!
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

Buda wrote:Obviously this one. Leave everything behind and take Analogue's releases. These LPs will keep its worthiness even more if its stored sealed.
Yes, but keep in mind, if they're stored sealed, not to break the seal :)
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

I couldn't resist and bought the vinyl Boxset, it had a special price for 24 hours at Popmarket. Let's see when it gets here if I open it or let it sealed... :lol:
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Open it, you bought it for the music, not as an investment, yer never gonna sell it.
I had my doubts also and was glad I opened it
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
Buda

Post by Buda »

Seems they are not selling well. Just came across a 319 dollar offer (instead of the usual 399) and it was for the numbered box of 2,500.

BTW I still have some of my latests still sitting sealed, waiting for the time to be put on or.. :wink:
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

The Freedom Man wrote:Open it, you bought it for the music, not as an investment, yer never gonna sell it.
I had my doubts also and was glad I opened it
I guess you're right! I never opened my 2008 Boxset... I think I'll let that one sealed because the new one seems to have the better sound... I think the best method would be to open it right away :-)
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

Buda wrote:Seems they are not selling well. Just came across a 319 dollar offer (instead of the usual 399) and it was for the numbered box of 2,500.

BTW I still have some of my latests still sitting sealed, waiting for the time to be put on or.. :wink:
That's the one I bought and it came with shipping costs, a good deal! Should already come by Wednesday, that would be fast!!
Buda

Post by Buda »

Glad you're glad =)
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

Just to repeat: there is absolutely NO comparison between the 2008 "official" hyped Rhino set and the Analogue Productions set. The latter offers superb sound quality, all analogue sourced, fantastic high quality card sleeves with beautifully laminated gate-folds / inserts etc.

The Rhino's sound like CD's compared to the Analogue Productions.

To the person who asked how to buy if you're in Europe, I bought mine direct from Acoustic Sounds. They're not expensive at cost price BUT the shipping is a killer admittedly. Add to that European Customs charges and in my case, rip off UK Royal Mail "handling" fees and these babies worked out at close to £50 each!!! That's $83 per album in today's market.

Having said that when I ordered my LP's I did check Amazon.co.uk and only half the albums were available and two of them were selling at £90 each!!! Hence why I used Acoustic Sounds. Another thing to consider is that AS use high quality card packing AND Fedex who deliver to me only a couple of days after my order! How can they deliver from US to UK so quickly when domestic orders take 10-15 times as long to arrive?

Fedex handle the parcels with care and probably because they don't handle them for long AND they are not in the normal postal transit system, none of my LP's have ever arrived damaged with seam splits etc.

Having said all that, I probably won't ever use AS again as my most recent order cost more in shipping that the unit LP costs! When I queried this I received an evasive and unspecific response which stated several incorrect facts about previous order costs / shipping. I think the shipping is now prohibitively expensive and nonsensical.

I made an exception with these Lp's because it is The Doors and I know these sound better than ever. I bought my LP's to play and not to look at in shrink. If you're going to keep the set sealed why not just buy the Infinite Box itself with nothing inside it? It looks identical on a shelf when sealed! :lol:
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

I just got the LP's today :D I think I got them at a very fair price now. I bought the discounted Boxset (number 1635), with shipping and taxes I paid 380.- Swiss frans which are about 432 US-$. This is 72$ per album all incl. Now I'm very eager to hear them, so many people posted such positive reviews!