1991 Love documentary DVD art for you all...

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

1991 Love documentary DVD art for you all...

Post by jamestkirk »

...from mikeb at Torben's...thanks so much.

Posted August 3rd, 2012

"Arthur Lee died six years ago today. Here’s something from the Dangerous Minds’ archives to commemorate his passing".

A rarely seen documentary on Arthur Lee...

Arthur had it going...such a brilliant & RARE documentary.

Lost gems do exist! Click play here to watch this fine 57+ minute doc....so many clips of Arthur's interview & live stuff from 1989...so good to see.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/a_ra ... arthur_lee

:mrgreen:
Last edited by jamestkirk on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Buda

Post by Buda »

Great! thanks for posting!
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

I got this footage about 8 or 10 years ago and it still has some mystery about the making of it.It was the first footage of Arthur back then that I saw after the 60's.
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

The Freedom Man wrote:I got this footage about 8 or 10 years ago and it still has some mystery about the making of it.It was the first footage of Arthur back then that I saw after the 60's.
I was able to convert it so I have it on DVD now...it circulated as a VHS tape for a while back in the 1990's. Was it a commercial (indie) release, or always a bootleg?
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

This from our friend signedRW at Torben's forum...thanks to Rick!

That Love video is a VHS tape that was available commercially for a short time in the late eighties.
Critically speaking, it's pretty obviously done by non-professionals, but it's certainly not awful; it's an
accurate document of what was happening with Arthur at the time, as far as the Beeson backstage
interview segments, and the performances are decent, shot, I believe, at the now long gone club called
Trancas, named for the SoCal beach community where it stood. Bruce Gary was a good enough friend
that we met for lunch a few times when I worked at DCC; I knew him through Randy. Bruce was a good drummer and charming guy,
and he had a ton of great stories (he'd been the Hendrix tape archivist employed by Alan Douglas, and
as a result had a massive amount of unheard Hendrix stuff).
Crimson Crout/Frank Beeson Arthur VHS; I do own it, but have never yet seen it transferred in it's
entirety to DVD, only some of the performance segments on a couple of bootleg comps. I'm pretty
certain that Joe Morris has mentioned it a number of times; he may own it on DVD.

Even though I knew Bruce Gary much better than I ever did Berton Averre,
I had the chance to speak with Berton a few times at small club gigs he was playing with Arthur; he
very obviously knew, respected, and loved Arthur's and Love's music. At one time or another, every
member of the Knack, aside from Doug Feiger, played with Arthur, because they all grew up in L.A.
as Love fans.

The piece below, from the Orange County edition of the L.A. Times, is pretty well-written, if you've not seen it before.
The show they talk about is one which I saw (and recorded; recordings which have circled the globe
countless times by now) three days later at the Universal Amphitheatre in L.A., and also at the
Ventura Theatre. Late January of 1989; the Universal show had, in addition to Love and the Seeds,
also the Music Machine and Strawberry Alarm Clock on the bill. Killer show, from all acts, but sad to say, the room was barely half full.

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-01-24/ ... arthur-lee

Nice memories, Rick. Thanks for sharing them, and allowing me to post them.

jtk

=)

-Aldous Huxley
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Great, thanks.
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

I made this for myself...anyone who would like to use it, go ahead--for personal use only of course!

It's not a period pic of Arthur (1989), but I love that pose and have always wanted to use it.

And for those who have trouble rotating to print...

-Aldous Huxley