Page 1 of 1

Cancelled Hollywood Bowl Show From 1969

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:04 am
by MysticHeatedWine
Hi Vince,

Nice to see you back. Your candor and sincerity, not to mention your intelligence, are always appreciated. I had a question:

I've been sorting through my many magazines and newspaper articles from 1969 and 1970 and one article mentions the Doors were planning to return to the Hollywood Bowl in 1969 but it didn't materialize in the aftermath of Miami. Can you elaborate on this ? Thanks. Best wishes.

Michael

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:53 am
by vince
Hello Michael:

A lot of things did not come to fruition in 1969 as a result of Miami. There was the wide gap between March and the first US performance in the Cow Palace and for the Belkin Brothers. Bill Graham and the Brothers were willing to take a chance and good performances led to a breaking of the ice.

It was too late in season to arrange another Hollywood performance. Bill and the Agents were frantic to get some bookings. It was a long dry spell. Of course, money talks. Record sellers bent to public demand, radio stations finally abent to the clamour of the public for Doors music and eventually it was business as usual - but nothing could make up for the loss of 20 performances and months of lost record sales.

I wonder that nothing was done in 1970. I think the stink of Miami was still pervasive and there was a reluctance to have another go at it. Who knows what the show might have been like. One might say - the Bloom was off the rose. The ongoing trial in Miami was a factor as well. What with depositions and all the investigations going on I think there was enough uncertainty to prevent scheduling and preparing for another Hollywood Spectacular.

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:04 am
by MysticHeatedWine
Thanks Vince. I appreciate your time as always. :)