Singer Bowl - Alternate Source

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

MysticHeatedWine

Singer Bowl - Alternate Source

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

Since the year is coming to an end, I figured I'd squeeze in one last dumb question. Namely it's this:

From time to time we speculate about possible future releases. Since we know the alternate source of Singer exists and the quality of it is really good why don't the Doors release it as a cd ? Would it be so difficult to do this ? What am I missing ? Logic would dictate they have it.
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

The question is "The Doors have the whole stuff or just the two songs that ended up in Boot Yer Butt?"
I have the idea that they have only the two songs.
A download release with all the footage stuff from that day would be very very interesting.
MysticHeatedWine

Why wouldn't they have the whole show ?
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

There are members of this forum that can talk properly about this. Of course, if they want to do it.
I'm just trying to recall what I understood at the time Boot Yer Butt was being assembled.
In those days the band had the precious collaboration of those persons, which had deep knowledge on what was available and what were the best sources.
I'm not positive if the band had access to all the stuff or what was the kind of deal they made.
MysticHeatedWine

I understand your point. I just find it hard to believe that the band wouldn't have obtained a copy by now. I mean if Robby was given/bought some recordings for Boot Yer Butt (a great release by the way; there should have been a sequel) why wouldn't he buy the whole show or ask for it ? Whatever the case is, that potential release excites me more than London Fog or any other possibility. Jim was on fire that night and did some great poetic improvisations. Just my two cents worth.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

I also agree that Singer Bowl would be a nice release. Wild night. The End is very very good.
Boot Yer Butt was a nice release although I'm not convinved the sound treatment was the best one. Some sound experts here might have an educated opinion.
As I said I don't know how were the deals involved. At the time the release came I have the idea that this didn't brought to me any new stuff. Some sources were better but nothing new.
I wonder if a new project would bring some uncirculated tapes to surface... I fear the band has burned too many bridges. Also they seem not interested to release stuff they have. I guess only a soundboard or a superior quality rare audience would make the band to become interested.

The last few years were really bad ones. From what I remember there was only Asbury Park Convention Hall '68.

From the existing ones I would love to listen to better sources for Singer Bowl '68, Hawaii '70 and Dallas '70. Probably my top 3.
effectfreak

Post by effectfreak »

I really just can't understand why they won't buy/release stuff they could. Like in "When you are strange" there was very little new video material compared to how much they must have it...

Your idea of download release sounds fantastic...
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

It's not my idea. I mean the concept it's something that was assumed long time ago by the management to be an interesting way to sell rare stuff that could not fit into conventional physical releases. This because of the intrinsic performance, sound or image quality of the stuff. Also this would avoid heavy investments associated to product development, marketing and shipment. Hell, it was one the basis underlying the Bright Midnight Records by Ray and Danny...
Jeff assumed publically their interest in bringing these downloads to a reality, and this was long time ago. In a certain phase it was even said to be "6-8 weeks away". :lol: Unfortunately it never happened from what I understood because of legal matters.
Singer Bowl stuff would fit perfectly in such a product.
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

Silver Forest wrote:There are members of this forum that can talk properly about this. Of course, if they want to do it.
I'm just trying to recall what I understood at the time Boot Yer Butt was being assembled.
In those days the band had the precious collaboration of those persons, which had deep knowledge on what was available and what were the best sources.
I'm not positive if the band had access to all the stuff or what was the kind of deal they made.
I have no insiders info, and my memory certainly isn't the greatest. That said, weren't the people who are in possession of the alternate Singer Bowl going to circulate the recording, UNTIL somebody leaked 'The End' prior to Boot Yer Butt being released? That killed the deal, and the recording has been underground ever since. That's the way I remember it. Somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Bluecow2

Post by Bluecow2 »

They have this alt recording. RK purchased it years ago from an inside collector.

Yes, they should release it; download, limited CD release?. It's very good!

I meet the taper many years ago to get a copy of The End. He lived nearby from me. He only had The End on his master cassette. The rest of the concert (on another cassette tape) he lent away years before. He never got it back. This inside collector got a copy of the whole concert, which is what RK purchased.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Thank you both for the info.
We know that the main target for the Feast of Friends documentary was to document no only some Doors performances but particularly what was surrounding those shows. Singer Bowl was as far as we know the wildest of those shows so probably Paul Ferrara's team filmed quite a lot in that night.
With a nice recording and with that footage they could indeed think about a nice (download) release.
miltonjumbee

Post by miltonjumbee »

Bluecow2 wrote:They have this alt recording. RK purchased it years ago from an inside collector.

Yes, they should release it; download, limited CD release?. It's very good!

I meet the taper many years ago to get a copy of The End. He lived nearby from me. He only had The End on his master cassette. The rest of the concert (on another cassette tape) he lent away years before. He never got it back. This inside collector got a copy of the whole concert, which is what RK purchased.
Great news ! Thank guys.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Bluecow2 wrote:They have this alt recording. RK purchased it years ago from an inside collector.

Yes, they should release it; download...
Aren't we about due for another Jampol "the downloads are coming!" announcement?
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

midnightx wrote:

Aren't we about due for another Jampol "the downloads are coming!" announcement?
Remember, nothing is etched on stone
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

The Royal Sperm wrote:
midnightx wrote:

He's trying his best and we'll be the first to know!
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Roughie wrote:
The Royal Sperm wrote:
midnightx wrote: Aren't we about due for another Jampol "the downloads are coming!" announcement?
He's trying his best and we'll be the first to know!
Sure, after iTunes, Amazon mp3, etc, etc. Stay tuned!