Relationship with Paul and Bruce?

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Silver Forest

Relationship with Paul and Bruce?

Post by Silver Forest »

Vince, I hope you don't mind these questions:

What was your relationship with Paul Rothchild and Bruce Botnick?

I suppose mostly you deal with them on studio recording sessions but probably in 1969 at the Aquarius Theatre and in the 1970 (recorded) tour you had an intense contact with them.

Was it a nice relationship or just restricted to business?
vince

Post by vince »

Bruce and Paul:

Let me start with Paul. He was very good at what he did. He had a feel for sound and the organization of the elements of recording. He could be firm with the guys yet jovial. He could coax, cajol and demand without being harsh or offensive. He knew what he wanted and worked with diligence to get it.

I did not really directly associate with Paul. On those occasions when we had direct interface, he was polite, courteous and professional. He gave compliment when doe and balme where deserved. In later years he entursted me with a secret which was horrifing - Cancer. I respected that confidence and carried the weight of his coming demise with heavy heart. I must say that I respected Paul as a professional and as a person. One thing is certain, Paul was honest. If he liked it he said so. If he did not, he said so. In the latter he also let you know that he was a bit disappointed in failure he expected mre and redemption was in the next incident in which all would be done to perfection, lesson having been learned.

Bruce: I met him first when we went to Sunset Sound. He was the engineer on the board. I assume he was working with Sunset at the time and was either assigned to or requested by Paul for the Doors recordings. One thing was certain - Bruce knew his business. That board was pretty elementary, Everything was plug and patch. Bruce knew his way around that equipment without hesitation. There was nothing Paul needed that Burce, one way or another, could not provide.

They wroked well together. Bruce sometimes offered comment and suggestion. Communications betwent he two was fluid, pleasant and always productive. I cannot recall any incident where the was disagreement.

When on the road with us Bruce was always respectful of our work load and difficulties. He also knew that setting him up, as well as all the other equipment, put an added burden on time and effort. On the road as in the studio, Bruce was efficient, professional and put the show on tape. I con't say that I was as close to Bruce as I was to Paul. That is sort of understandable, Paul was the boss in the Studio. It was to Paul that I had to relate and co-operate. Naturally, Bruce made some technical requests and we worked closely together to get good positioning and isolation of instruments so he could get clean sound and separation.

I did not associate with either Paul or Burce. I had too much to do before and after any performance or recording session to have time to go our before and after. That was the nature of our job. The guys came in to find everything ready. They went through the evolutions of the situation and left, having confidence that their equipment would be taken care of and made ready for whatever came next. By the time we were ready to leave - all the fun was over. Of course, then it was our turn. It was usually a late dinner at Denny's and then blessed sleep before the next day came.

I guess you can say that Bruce was in the same position. He came to studio and did the preliminary set up. Paul came in and they went to work.

On the road, while Bruce was recording, it was the same. WE did the set-up and he came in with the group and got down to business.

I held the view that I was an employee of the Doors. I was not there to socialize or be Buddy-Buddy. I had a very serious job to do and was responsible for the conduct of the performance. That included the well being of the equipment in Studio. On stage I was to assure the operation, well-being and safety of the equipment. In studio I was to assure the presence of the equipment and accessories and make sure all went well before, during and after. "Going out with the guys" was not part of the job description. Equipment logistics, security, lighting and sound was definitely my responsibility. Ne're the twain did meet.

Regards Bruce and Paul - Professional. Nice people to work with. Demanding of performance by those around them as demanding of themselves. Respectful, considerate and knowledgeable. I would work with either or both were the chance to come again.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors