Do You Remember the 2 doors concerts in mid august '70?

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

what_A_trip67-71

Do You Remember the 2 doors concerts in mid august '70?

Post by what_A_trip67-71 »

Maybe not august, although i thought it was around there. These two concerts were not part of the original '70 tour. Can yoou recall these concerts for us? I believe they were in Bakersfield and San Diego. In San Diego,, jim did a rendition of Louie, Louie, he seemed to be in good spirits....

Can you recall the mood of the band/jim? Why these shows were scheduled, or anything else about these concerts.

Thanks Vince!
they are the ones who will rule the world
vince

Post by vince »

The dates appear to be in August on the 21 and 22. I wonder about the accuracy of these as we were well on our way to the Isle of Wright festival.

But it is possible.

The mood was pretty good. I believe it was at this San Diego show that Jim did the feedback playtime and got John quite annoyed - as well as boring the ears off the audience.

The mood was upbeat mainly woing to the excitement of the English performance and extensive Euro tour. You are likely aware that this had to be cancelled as a result of the Court refusing to postpone the trial. Of course, after we had cancelled the Euro tour and returned to the US, the Prosecutor asked for and received a postponement.

Real politics. However, the mood was light and excited because we were going to Paris, Spain and Italy among other spots and the Guys were anxious to visit as well as perform to these new audiences.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Mystery Train

Re: 1970

Post by Mystery Train »

vince wrote:The dates appear to be in August on the 21 and 22. I wonder about the accuracy of these as we were well on our way to the Isle of Wright festival.

But it is possible.

The mood was pretty good. I believe it was at this San Diego show that Jim did the feedback playtime and got John quite annoyed - as well as boring the ears off the audience.

The mood was upbeat mainly woing to the excitement of the English performance and extensive Euro tour. You are likely aware that this had to be cancelled as a result of the Court refusing to postpone the trial. Of course, after we had cancelled the Euro tour and returned to the US, the Prosecutor asked for and received a postponement.

Real politics. However, the mood was light and excited because we were going to Paris, Spain and Italy among other spots and the Guys were anxious to visit as well as perform to these new audiences.
how sad a second european tour did not occur!! how was the mood when the guys heard about it? just upset or mad?

was this tour already organized, i mean with contracts were to play etc when the doors knew they had to cancel it? and was this tour planed before the last 2 concerts in dallas and new orleans were played? was there any possibility to really make this tour happen after the postponement? or did they change their minds?
vince

EURO 1970

Post by vince »

The tour was to begin at the Isle of Wright festival and continue on from there. I believe - I can be mistaken, that it was about 20 venues in France, Spain, Italy, Germany, and other places.

It was important both to restore the interest in Europe as well as record promotions.

The tour was planned during Spring and summer of 1970 and there were signed contracts for all the performances.

The tour was cancelled after the Isle of Wright as a result of the Florida Court refusing a postponement.

HOWEVER - After the very por performance at the Isle of Wright, Ray, John and Robby were not interested in more public performances. There was great disappointment in Jims wet towel stance at the mike, complete lack of animation and very little rapport with the 500,000 ticket holders at the festival. The Boys felt that they had been shamed by the performance, and so did many others.

With the tour cancelled, that put the issue of the future of performances to rest. There would be no more. There was no attempt made to revive the Euro tour since the question of Jim;s court appearance and trial and the possibility of a guilty verdict and suspension of his passport was very much unanswered.

New Orleans came about as a result of Jim's appology to the guys for Isle of Wright and the promise that he could, and would, provide better performances and improve his stage presence and behavior.

Dallas and N.O. were booked, based on that promise, as a demonstration of Jim's intentions and willingness to live up to his commitment.

Dallas was a C grade and, as you may know, New Orleans brought a Large F on the score card. After New Orleans, there would not be any public performance by the Doors as a groupwith Jim Morrison as the Singer. There was agreement that they could continue to write and arrangemusic with Jim as singer for use in future recordings for albums. Plans were laid between the Three to reorganize, add players and perhaps a singer and go again on the road as "Other Voices".

The first tour, which was recorded by Bruce Botnick, was booked from October through December of 1971. Al album was released, I believe.

Early in 1972 Elektra Records was sold to Warner, A celebration concert was held at the Mountain top cafe or whereever, in Palm Springs to showcase the Other Voices and other groups now under the Warner label. This was the last performance I did with the group.

The went on through a US tour, then to Europe and a second US tour which was eventually cancelled for lack of ticket sales. This was the last time the three guys were to play together as a group.

As you may be aware, between the Isle of Wright and July 1971, Jim went to trial and was convicted of a lesser charge than indecent exposure. This was appealed. He and the others went to studio, set up in the office at 8512 Santa Monica, and, Paul Rothschild having walked out, recorded LA woman under the guidance of Bruce Botnick.

The LA Women album was released. Jim called John Densmore and discussed his readiness to return and get serious about recording and performing. Before any issue could be resolved, he died and the Doors, as a gourp, died with him.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors