- Ray's bass piano

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Hamlet

- Ray's bass piano

Post by Hamlet »

Do you think it was a good idea not to use a bass player im comcerts. Was the basspiano loud enough!

And what did you do, when the band wasn't on tour? Did you turn to your profession, ie building organs?
We`s just joy-ridin'
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Ray certainly was a groundbreaker doing so, but they really didn't have a choice. Didn't several bassists tryout, but weren't right for them or didn't like the dynamic? Were they unwilling to breakup the four way split of residuals...into a five way split with a full time bassist as a fifth DOOR?

(Ray influenced many novice keyboardists to learn to play organ and the bass lines at once--hence George Winston's tribute album to the Doors--he learned to play keyboards like Ray in his teen band, and it translated into a unique style of lifelong piano playing--all because of Ray).

And it gave the DOORS a unique lineup (everyone had a bassist!) & a story that was another selling point for them. In 1967, I can remember thinking it was pretty cool that Ray played organ and bass keyboards at the same time--it was just NOT done and he did it so well.

Did Ray ever complain of the dual role?!

I think it might have offered Ray more freedom and creative flow if he hadn't had the bass lines to deal with while improvising on organ, on stage.

Oh well, they did all right :wink: with Ray on keyboards/bass...and in-studio Ray had his freedom to let loose on organ.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I think the bass playing made Ray's solos a bit stiff. He doesn't play beyond quarter and eigthnotes and it is never polyrhytmic, b/c he has to keep the pulse steady with the left hand.
We`s just joy-ridin'
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Hamlet wrote:I think the bass playing made Ray's solos a bit stiff. He doesn't play beyond quarter and eigthnotes and it is never polyrhytmic, b/c he has to keep the pulse steady with the left hand.
I agree. I thought his playing could have been better without the restriction of playing bass.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
morrisonhendrix

Post by morrisonhendrix »

jamestkirk wrote:
Hamlet wrote:I think the bass playing made Ray's solos a bit stiff. He doesn't play beyond quarter and eigthnotes and it is never polyrhytmic, b/c he has to keep the pulse steady with the left hand.
I agree. I thought his playing could have been better without the restriction of playing bass.
I agree also. I've often wondered what his playing would've been like without having to hold the bass part down. Having said that, even though they had a studio bass player, he still played relatively the same.
"Music is your only friend, until the end"
cutis

Post by cutis »

jamestkirk wrote:
I also agree. The Doors sound was sometimes so self-limiting when performing as a live act. Ray always loves to promote the fact that he was the band's bass player when performing live. Well, yippee, Ray. Does that mean you curtailed the full range of keyboard playing possible because you were forced to play bass with your left hand?? YES. Your solos were stiff and not nearly as imaginative if you had decided to integrated a bass player allowing you to fully explore the range of the keyboard when performing live. Hence, you were less compelling as a live keyboard player than you were in the studio where you didn't have to worry about playing bass.
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Ray got the message. They used a bass player after Jim passed away. Ray and Robby use a bass player today. Aside from giving Ray freedom to focus on his playing, the live sound would have been stronger with a string bass. I don't quite get the logic of not wanting a string bass player on stage but wanting one in the studio. Shouldn't the reasons given for not wanting a bass player on stage also apply to the studio.