Upcoming Matrix Release (Part 2)

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Would it help if we put comparison clips of those Peter Abram Matrix samples from the master matrix tapes on YouTube to build wider demand for a complete box from the masters?

Imagine a YouTube clip that contained a few tracks from Abrams masters compared with the inferior sources Rhino released - also in the same clip.
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

Here's the Abrams snippets (again).

http://thedoorsmusic.net/MatrixfromAbram.rar
Buda

Post by Buda »

Yeah, I think we ought to start something if not a Matrix revolution. We can wait for the London Fog recording to be released finally but granted, it will not happen in the foreseeable future. In this case they should release at least the intact version of Matrix to make up for all the lies they committed themselves to releasing that inferior thing. On the other hand, I know I'm not up with their culture of honesty and intelligence, so silly me, but I can't see what it was good for, to even announce the existence of the Fog rec. more than a year ago.. I mean, what's the point in making Doors fans all over the world get excited then spit in their face by this cowardice treatment?
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Unless they are preparing something special...

OK, back to real world. :lol: I know this is a Matrix topic but I will pick and discuss the London Fog situation since I don't have many hopes that Matrix wil be released in the next couple of years. I hope I'm wrong.

I would not use such strong words as you Buda but in fact I agree that it's something out of any reasonable criteria if the London Fog after being publicized will not be released this year. How can such an astounding find could not be used for the benefit of the band and delight of the fans? At that time of excitement, when we were amazed by this find, I remember I was convinced this was a great oportunity for management redention considering the many releases they screw in the recent past. The handling of the situation seems now arguable. I know they acquired the tape and I know this takes time but one can question the strategy and the tiiiiiime they are taking to release such important stuff. I hope this is no more than having time for a decent release. It seems the perspectives of finding the second tape are now gone. So, it's time for the release. I wish it will be far more than decent but at this stage the minimum we can ask is a decent release.

Unfortunately, this seems not to contradict this idea that many of us have that this management has the anti-Midas touch. The "Sadim" touch. You touch and everything is fucked up. As usual.
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

TheDoorsMusic wrote:Here's the Abrams snippets (again).

http://thedoorsmusic.net/MatrixfromAbram.rar
Thanks D. I lost this at my mess of a computer. Great to be able to hear again. :D
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Moved from old thread here: http://www.thefreedomman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85

Kept getting errors since the original thread (started in 2006!) got too long.
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

AAhh how good they sound !!! Such a shame almost 7 years have passed and nothing. I dont have high hopes though , not at all in fact. Do you really think they will get into trouble to acknowledge their mistake and release the Master release. NO way !

Thanks for posting !!
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

I posted a comment/question regarding if/when the masters will be released in the hopes that others will respond, keep it near the top of the page and get somebody's attention. There needs to be demand for these tapes to be released. They purchased them nearly 5 years ago. I don't know how much they spent, but it's difficult for me to believe that purchased them with the intention of having them languish in a vault. I was thinking that if somebody could upload the clips to Youtube so that the average fan can simply clink on a link and listen to the samples without having to download them, it may create some kind of demand, interest or at least get the attention of management and motivate them to give some kind of a response. I'm personally not capable of uploading the samples as I am not even able to download them. They won't play for me. Anytime I try to download anything that isn't an mp3, it doesn't work for me. It may be a futile effort, but we won't know until we try.
https://thedoors.com/community
https://thedoors.com/live/live-matrix-1967-03-07
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

Count me in for a "Matrix Revolution". I'm up for that!

Why oh why is it taking so long to master a release of the full shows when the band owns the ORIGINAL master tapes and has done so since 2009. Do they not know how important these shows are to their legacy? I'd happily return all the 69/70 live material in exchange for The Matrix but not that sad excuse for the 2007 release which is bootleg quality and as such, I never bothered to buy it.

Before long most Doors fans will be a bit long in the tooth to even bother buying new albums anymore. If they don't hurry we'll all be dead before it comes out!
Buda

Post by Buda »

Just seen the unboxing of the current release of Queen's similarly long awaited show from '74.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCshCyHGTQo

Why on earth the Doors can not put themselves after all these years to release the Matrix tapes in similar treatment?!

They have the reels now for years, do we really have to wait for that silly anniversary in 2017 three more years ...or more?!!

Image Image Image
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Other than the demand here, how much motivation do they really have to release the Matrix (however superior) once again...the wider Doors fan base likely couldn't care less, sad to say.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Buda

Post by Buda »

You got that minimal demand everywhere, it's the Doors. So, in case it would be such a release, as shown above, I strongly disagree it wouldn't sell. If they find one unreleased track on the reels that the bootlegs ain't have (accidentally there is one called 'Don't Fight It' plus unreleased jams, etc.) it would immediately create a vibe of anticipation.

It is only a question of how to do it. Yes, they have the decision in their hands in what quantity they ought to do this and they better think that through. If they release only 2-3,000, all of them would be sold-out, that's no question. On the other hand, it would raise the significance culturally of the Doors, once again, which eventually would result in improving sales on other items of their catalogue.
But instead of thinking longevity, they are jumping back and forth and sideways like freakin' rabbits upon deciding what and how to do next. Videos, meh..

But the thing is, in my view, they are greedy, that's why they released the god-awful official Matrix release in 2007. That was the easiest thing to do, remember, with a great spit of lie in our face. Also, they are greedy because now, after all the storm has calmed down after all these years and thus, when they really have the masters, they just sit on it and wait for a possibly but only possibly better timing to pull the trigger on it. But also let me add and emphasize that it is not even confirmed if they are going to put it out in 2017.

Pure carelessness, that's it.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Limited release makes sense, Buda, but how small? Say 10,000 on a world wide release...probably sell out before it was released.

Hell, the Beatles MONO box was supposed to be a limited release (20.000?) but when it sold out they doubled the numbers and made a collectible into a not-so-much...still, I love mine!

A Matrix Box set with extras, unseen photos, and a 100 page booklet would be cool!

And STICKERS of course!!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Buda

Post by Buda »

Hell, I forgot about the stickers.. am I getting old?! :wink:
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

We are seven years old Buda.
But the stickers will be brand new.
I hope I will remember who the hell are The Doors when Matrix will come out.
djonez

Post by djonez »

Incredibly the Abrams recording of the velvet underground at the matrix will be released before the Doors.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

djonez wrote:Incredibly the Abrams recording of the velvet underground at the matrix will be released before the Doors.
That is great news and a real rarity....the Velvets are much rarer than all the DOORS live stuff we are privileged to have!

Think of the sadness of Love fans that have ZERO live bootlegs or legit material from the 60's Arthur Lee & Love!!

Doors fans should rejoice at the wealth of material we DO have!!

-Aldous Huxley
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

DalloLama

Matrix/LF

Post by DalloLama »

I sent a message to Jeff on Twitter about whether the Matrix and London Fog will be released this year or do you have any news on them?

He just responded "yes".

Informative lol. But it's something! They haven't forgotten!
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

well, i certainly hope so, its been what? 3, 4 years since the bowl came out... these guys have to give us sounds like pronto, meaning now. =)
Carnival dog
Buda

Post by Buda »

Couldn't contain myself, so I gave it all out at Hoffman's..:)

"Regardless of what reasons the current decision makers are lining up in favor of pushing the release dates with these titles, it is just their utter incompetence, which have already shown in various ways. Why the Fog was promised to be released in the first place years ago and roughly within six months, when they clearly were not able to see things a week in advance. Why the released Matrix BS have been called "from the orig. master tapes," even on the stickers, while they have reportedly knew it was a shameful lie. Why was all the fuss with the L.A. Woman sessions? The list goes on and on and by their current take on things, I doubt they'll ever learn. Instead, they'd rather sell the rights to a freakin' sneaker production company, so they can capitalize yet again for the 642nd time on Jim's lion image printed on its side. In all, it's obviously not about the Doors being a hard-sell compared to their contemporaries but about an incompetent crew led by a clumsy, unqualafied poser named Jeff Jampol. Sad, but true."

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/t ... 301/page-2
avp2029

Post by avp2029 »

Amen to that. Well put.
"It's still alive inside of me" - Little Steven
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Buda wrote:Just seen the unboxing of the current release of Queen's similarly long awaited show from '74.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCshCyHGTQo

Why on earth the Doors can not put themselves after all these years to release the Matrix tapes in similar treatment?!

They have the reels now for years, do we really have to wait for that silly anniversary in 2017 three more years ...or more?!!

Image Image Image
The LA Woman box set could have been designed to encompass a similar packaging design.

As far as The Matrix goes, I think its best retail potential could be to have it accompany an expansive set celebrating 1967, with the band's first two albums in both stereo and mono.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Buda wrote: In all, it's obviously not about the Doors being a hard-sell compared to their contemporaries but about an incompetent crew led by a clumsy, unqualafied poser named Jeff Jampol. Sad, but true."
There is likely some truth to that assertion. Jampol is involved with management of deceased artists' estates, and likely does fine work with various aspects of the job. But with regard to managing catalogue and coordinating efforts with labels, nothing suggests he is overly sophisticated. He did give BMR/BMA a much needed jumpstart around 2005 after its future seemed to be in question, so credit should be given where it is due, but in general, his efforts with The Doors catalogue has been questionable at best.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Any news from Jampol on Matrix and Fog? Or is the only release of 2015 going to be Full Circle / Other Voices on physical media, which Warner previously published on iTunes several years ago?
HungryHippo

Post by HungryHippo »

How would you guys feel about starting an online petition? Something formal to present Jampol? We can share it on larger forums like the Steve Hoffman board, etc. If enough people sign it, we may have some nice results.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

I'd sign it, don't know how much good it will do, but I'm all for trying.
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

HungryHippo wrote:How would you guys feel about starting an online petition? Something formal to present Jampol? We can share it on larger forums like the Steve Hoffman board, etc. If enough people sign it, we may have some nice results.
Jampol probably wouldn't care. He knows the fan-base wants the complete Matrix tapes released, sourced from the masters.
Buda

Post by Buda »

...in crowdfunding maybe?
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Nah, not crowdfunding.

I would crowd fund a doco or something but not a release that the band should be releasing.
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd