Upcoming Matrix Release (Part 2)

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Buda

Post by Buda »

Reaching such a significant number of positive votes this case need that would make the band release Matrix before at least its anniversary in 2017 is impossible, even at stevehoffman's forum. I was cynical to some level with my comment but if you really think who are we dealing with, buying the rights thru crowdfunding could be our closest opportunity.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Well I would rather put my money (with others too as I am dirt poor) into getting something the Doors don't own yet. The Doors giving us the rights? Nah. Getting something off someone else? Yeah.
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
Frequincy

Post by Frequincy »

Pretty boring on The Doors live release front the past few years. I check weekly for a statement about a release and nothing....
He is the Last Dinosaur!
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Don't worry a new best of will be coming out soon I am sure! :twisted:

Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

My guess is this will be released 2017. Robby said they have some special plans for the 50th anniversary of LMF being number one. Let's see!
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

Mystery Train wrote:My guess is this will be released 2017. Robby said they have some special plans for the 50th anniversary of LMF being number one. Let's see!

just hope to live long enough to see that realease ....
Last edited by The Royal Sperm on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Mystery Train wrote:My guess is this will be released 2017. Robby said they have some special plans for the 50th anniversary of LMF being number one. Let's see!
Probably a vinyl reissue of the single, a skateboard, and some sneaker designs with Morrison's image and The Doors logo.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

It will be a 20 track double album of the best takes of Ray telling the beach story. :lol:

God! I am so bored.

morrisonhendrix

Post by morrisonhendrix »

Roughie wrote:It will be a 20 track double album of the best takes of Ray telling the beach story. :lol:

God! I am so bored.
Hilarious! I couldn't have said it better myself.
"Music is your only friend, until the end"
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014 ... _i=desktop

this is almost relevant and fairly nice
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
Buda

Post by Buda »

WOW, after expressing my thoughts over at Steve Hoffman's forum regarding the bad politics behind latest releases that went up in smoke from the Doors, it became clear to me that Steve Hoffman himself is censoring my opinion by deleting my comments. Especially I guess because I mentioned Jeff Jampol in my reasoning right after he made his comment.

Then I made another one suggesting: "...my comment has been deleted?!" and it got erased too. A disgrace. Not because they were my comments but because of the way that forum functions and clearly defends their colleagues by this unjust and idotic way...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/t ... 301/page-6

Nevertheless to say, the best way to tackle this shit would be all of us writing their own opinion on the things. Especially connected to the Jampolian way. The way of false promises and lies.
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

Censored by Hoffman, hey? Well, that certainly wouldn't be a first. Is he a great friend or colleague of Jampol then?

Does anyone know if BMA even exists anymore?

By the way, I clicked on your link to SHF and even though I was signed in I got an error page saying I was not permitted access to that link. :roll:
Last edited by steve1234 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

Buda wrote:WOW, after expressing my thoughts over at Steve Hoffman's forum regarding the bad politics behind latest releases that went up in smoke from the Doors, it became clear to me that Steve Hoffman himself is censoring my opinion by deleting my comments. Especially I guess because I mentioned Jeff Jampol in my reasoning right after he made his comment.

Then I made another one suggesting: "...my comment has been deleted?!" and it got erased too. A disgrace. Not because they were my comments but because of the way that forum functions and clearly defends their colleagues by this unjust and idotic way...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/t ... 301/page-6

Nevertheless to say, the best way to tackle this shit would be all of us writing their own opinion on the things. Especially connected to the Jampolian way. The way of false promises and lies.
Censored by Hoffman, hey? Well, that certainly wouldn't be a first. Is he a great friend or colleague of Jampol then?

Does anyone know if BMA even exists anymore?

By the way, I clicked on your link to SHF and even though I was signed in I got an error page saying I was not permitted access to that link. :roll:
Buda

Post by Buda »

They gotta be lovers not just friends as it seems the whole thread has been deleted. The message why we can not access it is bullshit. Tried to find it thru search but it has vanished. I guess Hoffmann finally took the time to read the whole jar and found that it was not only me who had such an opinion, backed by all those awful facts but a dozen folks.. a shame this guy thinks about himself. He can be a real pro considering audiophile stuff but as a man... well, let's just leave it at that.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

anytimecowboy wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014 ... _i=desktop

this is almost relevant and fairly nice
Almost relevant as in it actually got released! =) :lol:

Buda

Post by Buda »

...and for such a small price I regret Jim wasn't singing in the Velvet Underground :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
hardrockcafe

Re: Upcoming Matrix Release (Part 2)

Post by hardrockcafe »

Not holding my breath, but what are the odds of a box set release of Fog and Matrix for Q4 Xmas season release this year? Fog is 50 years old soon, and Matrix will be 50 in March.
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

Pretty sure they got some neat shit planned for the 50th. I wouldn't hold my breath for physical box set releases though.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

dj_vera wrote:Pretty sure they got some neat shit planned for the 50th. I wouldn't hold my breath for physical box set releases though.
what happened to isle of wight dvd rumors? even that seems depressing. a bunch of close ups of morrison performing a below average heartless show, with robby on a bad night. ugh
"Have a few beers, and take your time..."
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

They will re-re-release the six studio albums once again in a special deluxe box set with a 4 page booklet and lot of stickers
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
mojorisin577

Post by mojorisin577 »

The Royal Sperm wrote:They will re-re-release the six studio albums once again in a special deluxe box set with a 4 page booklet and lot of stickers
Hope so! I want more remastered/remixed studio albums .. :D
morrisonhendrix

Post by morrisonhendrix »

mojorisin577 wrote:
The Royal Sperm wrote:They will re-re-release the six studio albums once again in a special deluxe box set with a 4 page booklet and lot of stickers
Hope so! I want more remastered/remixed studio albums .. :D
I don't know about that. I think all I want is the band's LEAST favorites on one CD, with all credit going to Jampol of course. :evil:
"Music is your only friend, until the end"
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

In all seriousness, if they released the albums again, instrumental and vocal a Capella that would be cool. I would like to take some of the drum tracks and play with those, so really they should just release the multi-tracks.

If John is such a Sanders supporter, why isn't he listening to his people? We all know there is a fair bit of inequality in the Doors scene, and the trickle down effect is bullshit, save for a low-gen remaster every ten years. The Doors should have a tape fund where they match dollar for dollar what the fans put in, cross referenced to a list of tapes for sale. Then, we crowd fund, and pitch in here, and one fine day we will have raised enough scratch to hear the second half of Strange Days at the Fog. What's the bet that the Fog tape is half taped over with the sound of Jim throwing up in the bathroom in New Orleans?
"Have a few beers, and take your time..."
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

Old thread here: http://www.thefreedomman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85 for your reading pleasure. We've come along way since talking about this in 2006.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Here's the full text of a new Doors press release posted on thedoors.com. Note how this one elaborates and finally admits 3rd generation sources were used on the 2008 2CD release:

"THE DOORS: 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION offers a rare opportunity to hear the band on the verge of superstardom with live performances recorded during a March 7, 1967 show at the Matrix in San Francisco. The Matrix recordings heard on this deluxe edition were sourced from the recently discovered, original tapes, previously thought to be lost. The Matrix recordings originally released in 2008 were from a third-generation source, so the sound quality of the versions debuting here is second to none."

==================================================================

THE DOORS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION OF THEIR GROUNDBREAKING DEBUT ALBUM

Posted onJanuary 4, 2017

The Band 50th Anniversary Celebration Continues With 3CD/LP Set

Of Their Eponymous Debut, Featuring Remastered Stereo And Mono Mixes,

Plus Live Recordings

Available From Rhino On March 31

January 4 To Be Declared “Day Of The Doors” In Los Angeles

In Special Ceremony In Venice

LOS ANGELES – 50 years ago today in 1967, The Doors broke through to the other side for the first time with its eponymous debut on Elektra Records. The Doors would go on to sell millions of copies and made stars of John Densmore, Robby Krieger, Ray Manzarek, and Jim Morrison. Today, the album is widely considered to be one of the all-time-classic rock and roll debuts.

To celebrate this landmark recording’s 50th anniversary, the band will release THE DOORS: 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION. This 3CD/LP set will be available on March 31 for a list price of $64.98. In addition, the music will also be available digitally.

To coincide with this, today (January 4) will be declared “Day Of The Doors” in the city of Los Angeles. The proclamation will be made this afternoon by Mayor Eric Garcetti and Councilmember Mike Bonin during a public event at the intersection of Pacific and Windward Avenues, the location of the iconic “Venice” sign. Founding Doors members John Densmore and Robby Krieger will be on hand at the event as will family members of the late Ray Manzarek and Jim Morrison.

Packaged in a 12 x 12 hardcover book, THE DOORS: 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION includes a remastered version of the album’s original stereo mix, available on CD for the first time in a decade and remastered for the first time in nearly 30 years. The album’s original mono mix was also remastered for this set and is making its CD debut here. An LP-version of the mono mix is also included. The third disc features live performance from The Matrix in San Francisco recorded just weeks after The Doors was released. Music journalist David Fricke provides detailed liner notes for the set, which includes a selection of rare and previously unseen photographs.

THE DOORS: 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION offers a rare opportunity to hear the band on the verge of superstardom with live performances recorded during a March 7, 1967 show at the Matrix in San Francisco. The Matrix recordings heard on this deluxe edition were sourced from the recently discovered, original tapes, previously thought to be lost. The Matrix recordings originally released in 2008 were from a third-generation source, so the sound quality of the versions debuting here is second to none.

Packed with electrifying performance, the disc contains live versions of eight tracks on The Doors, including “Twentieth Century Fox,” “The Crystal Ship” and “Back Door Man.”

THE DOORS (50TH ANNIVESARY DELUXE EDITION)

Track Listing

Disc One (Original Stereo Mix)

Disc Two (Original Mono Mix)

“Break On Through (To The Other Side)”
“Soul Kitchen”
“The Crystal Ship”
“Twentieth Century Fox”
“Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)”
“Light My Fire”
“Back Door Man”
“I Looked At You”
“End Of The Night”
“Take It As It Comes”
“The End”
Disc Three: Live At The Matrix, March 7, 1967

“Soul Kitchen”
“The Crystal Ship”
“Twentieth Century Fox”
“Light My Fire”
“Back Door Man”
“The End”
LP (Original Mono Mix)

Side One

“Soul Kitchen”
“The Crystal Ship”
“Twentieth Century Fox”
“Light My Fire”
Side Two

“Back Door Man”
“I Looked At You”
“End Of The Night”
“Take It As It Comes”
“The End”
Pre-order your copy at The Doors Store.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

For comparison, here's the full September 2008 Doors press release in which they claimed first generation sources were used:

"Restored and carefully mastered from first generation tapes acquired by Elektra Records and The Doors 40 years ago, these historic shows never sounded better."

===================

THE DOORS DIAL IN AT THE MATRIX

Two-Disc Collection Includes Unreleased Recordings of the Band Playing a Small Club in San Francisco Just Weeks Before “Light My Fire” Made Them Stars

Available November 18 from Bright Midnight Archives and Rhino

LOS ANGELES – Rhino and Bright Midnight Archives present LIVE AT THE MATRIX 1967, the latest installment in The Doors’ acclaimed series of archival concert releases. This two-disc addition to the band’s live canon contains two club shows witnessed by few, but bootlegged by many. Restored and carefully mastered from first generation tapes acquired by Elektra Records and The Doors 40 years ago, these historic shows never sounded better. The collection will be available November 18 at all retail outlets, including www.thedoors.com and www.rhino.com, for suggested list prices of $24.98 (CD) and $12.99 (digital).

Where the previous three Bright Midnight Archives releases documented The Doors’ final tour in 1970, LIVE AT THE MATRIX 1967 rewinds to the band’s early days for a pair of shows at a San Francisco club in March, 1967. Only a handful of people showed up, so Jim Morrison, John Densmore, Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek played for each other, exploring song arrangements and jamming on a few blues favorites. Ironically, only a few weeks after the Matrix shows, the band’s second single, “Light My Fire,” would make them famous, selling a million copies on its way to topping the chart during The Summer of Love. “It was early 1967 and The Doors were about to enter the consciousness of the nation. And this is the way it sounded,” Manzarek writes in the album’s liner notes.

In spite of the empty room, the band is fully engaged, using the time to give “The End” and “Back Door Man” extra lyrics and extended sections. “This is probably the closest we’ve come to a true document of The Doors without constraints,” says Bruce Botnick, the album’s producer and the band’s longtime co-producer and engineer.

The band performs much of its self-titled debut on the first disc, including “Soul Kitchen,” “Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)” and the first single, “Break On Through (To The Other Side).” Along with those early originals, the band indulges its love of the blues with Bo Diddley’s “Who Do You Love?” Muddy Waters’ “I’m A King Bee,” and Allen Toussaint’s “Get Out Of My Life, Woman,” which has never appeared on any previous Doors album. The second disc offers a glimpse of the band mapping out its future, working out early versions of several songs from upcoming albums: “Crawling King Snake” (LA Woman); “Summer’s Almost Gone” (Waiting For The Sun); and nearly half of the songs from The Doors’ second album, Strange Days.

Before LIVE AT THE MATRIX 1967 arrives, Rhino will offer a slipcase version of the acclaimed Perception boxed set. On September 30, this 6CD/6DVD collection will be available at all retail outlets for a suggested list price of $79.98. Originally released in 2006 in a deluxe, limited edition package, the set contains all six of the band’s studio albums as CD/DVD sets.

Each CD includes the original mix of the album expanded with rare recordings. The DVD contains a surround sound mix of the album, the 40th Anniversary stereo mix of the album, as well as photos, videos, lyrics and a discography.

LIVE AT THE MATRIX 1967
Track Listing

Disc One
1. “Break On Through (To The Other Side)”
2. “Soul Kitchen”
3. “Money”
4. “The Crystal Ship”
5. “Twentieth Century Fox”
6. “I’m A King Bee”
7. “Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)”
8. “Summer’s Almost Gone”
9. “Light My Fire”
10. “Get Out Of My Life, Woman”
11. “Back Door Man”
12. “Who Do You Love”
13. “The End”

Disc Two
1. “Unhappy Girl”
2. “Moonlight Drive”
3. “Woman Is A Devil/Rock Me”
4. “People Are Strange”
5. “Close To You”
6. “My Eyes Have Seen You”
7. “Crawling King Snake”
8. “I Can’t See Your Face In My Mind”
9. “Summertime”
10. “When The Music’s Over”
11. “Gloria”
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

So to summarize the Jampol-speak:

2008: "Restored and carefully mastered from first generation tapes acquired by Elektra Records and The Doors 40 years ago, these historic shows never sounded better."

2017: "The Matrix recordings heard on this deluxe edition were sourced from the recently discovered, original tapes, previously thought to be lost. The Matrix recordings originally released in 2008 were from a third-generation source, so the sound quality of the versions debuting here is second to none."
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

So, do I think the full Matrix box set will be released in this year, yes. Later on though. It's the only card they have to play and Doors fans are anxious. What say you.

I also think a stand alone London Fog disc will be released as well.
Apple

Post by Apple »

I agree. And IOW DVD/BR...
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

TheDoorsMusic wrote:So, do I think the full Matrix box set will be released in this year, yes. Later on though. It's the only card they have to play and Doors fans are anxious. What say you.

I also think a stand alone London Fog disc will be released as well.
I think a complete Matrix release is possible by end of year (November or December for xmas giving) due to EU copyright. However, never underestimate Jampol. Since the s/t deluxe album box coming March 31 uses "March 7 Matrix highlights" to entice fans to buy the set, Jampol might employ a similar approach with a Strange Days box if the tatic with the debut album proves monetarily successful.

In other words, Jampol could use more Matrix "highlights" to sell a different box set. Since Strange Days was released in November 1967, he might put out another 50th anniversary "celebration" box set this fall with the original remastered Strange Days album on CD 1, mono mix on CD 2, then a "March 10 Matrix highlights CD" on disc 3 and mono SD vinyl Lp.

With this approach fans buy two incomplete box sets to get highlights from the Matrix from master tapes-- instead of a three CD complte Matrix box set.

That's a worst case scenario. Perhaps the path that's ultimately chosen by JAM will be driven by fan feedback, greed, and desire to ensure EU copyright status.