Upcoming Matrix Release (Part 2)

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Thelizardking

Re: Upcoming Matrix Release (Part 2)

Post by Thelizardking »

By the way,I think they edited jims f-words during the song The End.I have yet to compare but I believe it is edited!
FillmoreVideo

Post by FillmoreVideo »

Buda wrote:Merely agree. It's a fuckin disgrace to the fans and to their legacy.

Why the hell John or Robby doesn't do a thing about this? John was pretty upset about the London Fog packaging as well... do they have any say in this at all?!
John didn't like the packaging? Where did he say this?
Buda

Post by Buda »

There was a promotional unboxing video posted on youtube at the time of its release where he presented the box and its content in a pretty lacklustre way.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

I listed again to the masters samples all the way through. I cant believe anyone would rather release that remixed version we have now. The masters sound significantly better before they were touched, its quite remarkable. They sound exquisite, so sad we cant get a box of that just cleaned up, i cant believe a professional sound engineer would change them in that way
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
drago24

Post by drago24 »

Because 2nd Album for 50th don't contains Matrix "samples", maybe it means to be released soon.
Velvet did great job on his Matrix box set.
I wish they will make it in same way.
davis

Post by davis »

is an official release going to be any better than the bootleg?
drago24

Post by drago24 »

Of course it "will" be better, here is
1967-03-07&10 - Samples from Matrix Master Tapes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFe1HgWiA7A

Check what anytimecowboy said.
They successfully screwed up the sound from Master Tapes. :shock:

I think other sound engineers just Laughing Out Loud when they hear what he's done.
davis

Post by davis »

I haven't listened to mine in a long time, but I remember it sounding pretty good.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

I dont mind the work BB did on the Matrix stuff.

He did his best to offer the illusion of a stereo image, in what is otherwise a dual mono recording. The untouched samples are super clear and detailed, but they are very hard dry sounding recordings, and the band left/vocal right image is terrible, particularly when Morrison gets loud. The recordings are clean and dynamic, and Bruce did a good job blending the mono band and mono vocal into something almost resembling a stereo image. It softens the harshness of the unmixed recording.

Yes he added some reverb, and we loose a little of that direct clarity, but if you listen to The Doors first album, it was mixed so it sounds like it's playing back inside a small run down theatre with a leaky roof and extensive mould damage. Dank, soft, the drums are coming from 'somewhere over there'... Nothing wrong with a little reverb- it creates perspective! BB is a film guy, the whole Doors creative identity is based on a filmic style, right down to the fact that throughout their career they always edited the shit out of everything they did, and perfected it in post production, after capturing clean tracks.

Just my opinion. I'm a sound engineer. Haha.
"Have a few beers, and take your time..."
davis

Post by davis »

I used to want to be a sound engineer, but I don't think I could stand the erratic schedule and long hours.
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

mystery_train67 wrote:I dont mind the work BB did on the Matrix stuff.

He did his best to offer the illusion of a stereo image, in what is otherwise a dual mono recording. The untouched samples are super clear and detailed, but they are very hard dry sounding recordings, and the band left/vocal right image is terrible, particularly when Morrison gets loud. The recordings are clean and dynamic, and Bruce did a good job blending the mono band and mono vocal into something almost resembling a stereo image. It softens the harshness of the unmixed recording.

Yes he added some reverb, and we loose a little of that direct clarity, but if you listen to The Doors first album, it was mixed so it sounds like it's playing back inside a small run down theatre with a leaky roof and extensive mould damage. Dank, soft, the drums are coming from 'somewhere over there'... Nothing wrong with a little reverb- it creates perspective! BB is a film guy, the whole Doors creative identity is based on a filmic style, right down to the fact that throughout their career they always edited the shit out of everything they did, and perfected it in post production, after capturing clean tracks.

Nice wrap up, thanks! :D
davis

Post by davis »

:D that's good, thanks!
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

mystery_train67 wrote:I dont mind the work BB did on the Matrix stuff.

It should be noted that Bruce didn't use the master tapes for the best possible quality on the 2008 release. Most of the tracks Botnick used came from a compact cassette dub from the open reel master tapes, as well as bootlegs for several tracks.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

Yes, but this post was in relation to, I *think* the debut 50th.. which was worked from the masters.
"Have a few beers, and take your time..."
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

Good bump Hardrock. I'm hoping this will be the year for a proper Matrix release. How much longer can we fucking wait?
Buda

Post by Buda »

It would be just about time, indeed. They don't even need to remaster a thing on it. No additonal costs, no need to pay for an essay to the booklet, just gotta release the uncut, raw masters.
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

Yeah, instead of chopped up RSD releases.
Full package with complete Matrix would be superb.
Too bad there are no photos from these performances, not a single one.
A month earlier, a TV crew was at the Matrix making a report. It's a good thing we know how interior of the club looked.
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

https://www.discogs.com/The-Velvet-Unde ... e/13802403

Velvet underground just issued their matrix box on vinyl. Dont know how their mastering and source quality compares to the doors but just saying
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

anytimecowboy wrote:https://www.discogs.com/The-Velvet-Unde ... e/13802403

Velvet underground just issued their matrix box on vinyl. Dont know how their mastering and source quality compares to the doors but just saying
noticed too! an 8 lp box set with full matrix tapes!

VU made it right, release the cd, then soldout and now the vinyl box
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
Buda

Post by Buda »

Seems even with Lou out of the picture, the VU estate is not keen on using such indecent commercial tactics the Doors is doing, forcing its fans willing to buy an inferior release after another, while Jim is turning in his grave.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Lost Prophet wrote:Yeah, instead of chopped up RSD releases.
Full package with complete Matrix would be superb.
Too bad there are no photos from these performances, not a single one.
A month earlier, a TV crew was at the Matrix making a report. It's a good thing we know how interior of the club looked.
Cool. Do you have a link to the TV shoot of the club interior?
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

TheDoorsMusic wrote:Good bump Hardrock. I'm hoping this will be the year for a proper Matrix release. How much longer can we fucking wait?
Hard to believe they bought the Matrix master tapes 10 years ago in April of 2009.

Hindsight is 20/20, but given that the band has released 5 different Matrix samplers since 1997 (none of them complete), it now seems it would have been better for fans to crowdsource the funds and purchase the Matrix tapes 10 years ago from Peter.
eva

Post by eva »

Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

That's it. That's the footage I was thinking of, just a month before the Doors played there.
Matrix has a relatively small stage, and is filled with many tables for the audience.
StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

I'm curious about the unreleased instrumental. Any conformation what song was performed?
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
FillmoreVideo

Post by FillmoreVideo »

Any ideas if the shitty cassette dub used for the 2008 official Matrix set was better than the cassette dub that was used for the 1994 Kiss The Stone "Complete Matrix Tapes" box? I recall reading on the Doorsguide.com (before the owner shut it down and disappeared with no explanation) that the original taper of these shows copied these shows on "lo-fi" mode onto a cassette and sent them to The Doors but they had no interest in doing a live album at that point. So someone took these mostly complete cassettes and released them as a bootleg, but what tapes did they use for the 2008 release?
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

There once was an explanation in detail which tapes they used on The traders den, but that post may be long gone now.
If you have an access there, give it a try.
Going from memory, they used low generation copies, mostly cleaned up 2nd gen I think.
Shucks, for RSD release they even used 1st gen copy and not the master!
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

according to thedoors.com:

The Matrix recordings originally released in 2008 were from a third-generation source, so the sound quality of the versions on this vinyl are second to none.
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
Dave777

Post by Dave777 »

Just curious... the Strange Days' Matrix cuts from the master are only available on vinyl... is that correct? Were any bootlegs cut from the master?
I was just listing to the Matrix cuts on "The Doors" 50th release. The remastering sounds better than I remember it.
Cheers - Glen
The_zissou

Post by The_zissou »

Are we ever gonna see a complete release of the masters?? What are they waiting for? It’s been three years since they released Let’s Feed Ice Cream to the Rats.
Where is the feast we were promised?