Upcoming Matrix Release (Part 2)

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Re: Upcoming Matrix Release (Part 2)

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

Good points. Dangling the carrot, milking those pristine Matrix recordings as far as he can. We shall see.
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

hardrockcafe wrote:
TheDoorsMusic wrote:So, do I think the full Matrix box set will be released in this year, yes. Later on though. It's the only card they have to play and Doors fans are anxious. What say you.

I also think a stand alone London Fog disc will be released as well.
I think a complete Matrix release is possible by end of year (November or December for xmas giving) due to EU copyright. However, never underestimate Jampol. Since the s/t deluxe album box coming March 31 uses "March 7 Matrix highlights" to entice fans to buy the set, Jampol might employ a similar approach with a Strange Days box if the tatic with the debut album proves monetarily successful.

In other words, Jampol could use more Matrix "highlights" to sell a different box set. Since Strange Days was released in November 1967, he might put out another 50th anniversary "celebration" box set this fall with the original remastered Strange Days album on CD 1, mono mix on CD 2, then a "March 10 Matrix highlights CD" on disc 3 and mono SD vinyl Lp.

With this approach fans buy two incomplete box sets to get highlights from the Matrix from master tapes-- instead of a three CD complte Matrix box set.

That's a worst case scenario. Perhaps the path that's ultimately chosen by JAM will be driven by fan feedback, greed, and desire to ensure EU copyright status.
i have the same feeling, the 2nd box will contains the same album songs of the 2008 cd, and finally with the box of WFTS wil get the 3rd part, it will be a puzzle! kind cool, huh? ok, no
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

It'll be interesting to see if Matrix gets a separate complete boxed release outside of these "highlight best of" discs.

If Warner and Doors Management replicate the s/t deluxe approach with a Strange Days box later this year, the track listing of disc 3 (a live replication of the original Strange Days album) might look like below. There's enough material to recreate the album live. If they take this approach it will be a big YAWN.

CD1 - Strange Days original mix
CD2 - SD mono mix
CD3 - SD live

Strange Days (London Fog, May 1966)
You’re Lost Little Girl (Stockholm, Sept. 1968)
Love Me Two Times (Europe, 1968)
Unhappy Girl (Matrix March 7, 1967)
Moonlight Drive / Horse Latitudes (Hollywood Bowl, July 1968)
People Are Strange (Matrix March 10, 1967)
My Eyes Have Seen You (Matrix March 10, 1967)
I Can’t See Your Face In My Mind (Matrix March 10, 1967)
When the Music’s Over (Matrix March 10, 1967)

Vinyl - SD mono
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

hardrockcafe wrote:It'll be interesting to see if Matrix gets a separate complete boxed release outside of these "highlight best of" discs.

If Warner and Doors Management replicate the s/t deluxe approach with a Strange Days box later this year, the track listing of disc 3 (a live replication of the original Strange Days album) might look like below. There's enough material to recreate the album live. If they take this approach it will be a big YAWN.

CD1 - Strange Days original mix
CD2 - SD mono mix
CD3 - SD live

Vinyl - SD mono
am I the only one who hates this idea?. if you asked me I just want releases in their entirity like S/T album with the complete outtakes even if they are 20 mins. I d pay for that. SD album with the complete outtakes and so on and so forth.

I also would like a complete box set containing all available Matrix and Stockholm etc. I dont want to have fragments of concerts in different releases. just want to have complete sets ..
Buda

Post by Buda »

Mixing wholly different quality recordings is also not my cup of tea, especially for official deluxe content. Any fan can do that.
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Well since they now have those reels that were being sold at the Heritage Auctions site, surely there is something worthwhile that can be included a possible Strange Days release. I remember those reels contained some false starts of Strange Days and a possible complete take, unless it was just an instrumental. Although Bruce included Roadhouse Blues, Peace Frog and People Are Strange false start on previous releases. Those reels, supposedly, included a take of WTMO with Jim on harmonica. Bruce said they have a take of WTMO with Ray on vocals. The Doors were also trying Unknown Soldier in the studio during the SD album sessions.

About this first album "deluxe" set, I'm wondering if there are any other outtakes that exist or even some type of demo tape. Surely Paul had them lay down every original song they played at that time so he could pick which songs to record in the studio. Maybe they went in one day and recorded live versions of every song, including early versions of songs like Strange Days and You Make Me Real. Just a thought.
Buda

Post by Buda »

I'd love to see what you have proposed as a possibility with all those reels in their hands for sure but looking at this debut deluxe thing, apparently with the Jimmy Page treatment, including how they treat Matrix and alongside us, I'm afraid it will never materialize, only after Jeff vaporizes, I'm afraid.

It is rather interesting now upon seeing this release what they actually really have from this period if they just won't release anything new. Back then I heard some speculation that got to do with the scarcity of the debut sessions, saying Rothchild did have some reels in his possession that Elektra didn't care about back then and which landed in his palms and is hard to locate/get since he died due to possible copyrights.. but without real info never exhausted the idea.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

The Doors camp claim they got the tapes back from Paul's estate. Not sure what tapes he had, but some included MH era material. I'd love to know what happened to the 8mm footage Paul shot.
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

Buda wrote:I'd love to see what you have proposed as a possibility with all those reels in their hands for sure but looking at this debut deluxe thing, apparently with the Jimmy Page treatment, including how they treat Matrix and alongside us, I'm afraid it will never materialize, only after Jeff vaporizes, I'm afraid.

It is rather interesting now upon seeing this release what they actually really have from this period if they just won't release anything new. Back then I heard some speculation that got to do with the scarcity of the debut sessions, saying Rothchild did have some reels in his possession that Elektra didn't care about back then and which landed in his palms and is hard to locate/get since he died due to possible copyrights.. but without real info never exhausted the idea.

what is the 'jimmy page treatment' ?
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
The Royal Sperm

anytimecowboy wrote:
Buda wrote:I'd love to see what you have proposed as a possibility with all those reels in their hands for sure but looking at this debut deluxe thing, apparently with the Jimmy Page treatment, including how they treat Matrix and alongside us, I'm afraid it will never materialize, only after Jeff vaporizes, I'm afraid.

what is the 'jimmy page treatment' ?
Super Deluxe remastered box sets, with live takes or outtakes
www.KatRecords.com
Buda

Post by Buda »

Sorry guys, under Jimmy Page treatment, I meant releasing these deluxe editions without having any real merits in there, only a few moments of outtakes and 95% same mixes with new titles.
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

I see. Is mr page particularly guilty of that, i dont follow zeps releases
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
Buda

Post by Buda »

He is the Jeff Jampol of the Doors! :mrgreen:
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

hardrockcafe wrote:CD3 - SD live

If they end up going this route, they should just forgo Horse Latitudes and use Moonlight Drive from the Matrix. I think they should use the March 7th versions for a live SD album since the previous Matrix release used mainly selections from the March 10th performance. If they actually acquired the Stockholm masters and rights, that would be a very pleasant treat.
dj_vera

BOT 3/7

Post by dj_vera »

For those of you who don't use a music streaming service:

https://youtu.be/g9Lf6WF9xjM
mystery_train67

Re: BOT 3/7

Post by mystery_train67 »

These two shows were recorded differently though. March 7th we have one source for the band, March 10 we have a mic on each one mixed down to the left channel. A better comparison of sound quality would have been Cant See Your Face from March 7.

Comparing to the masters samples yes there's an obvious difference, but I could put this down to the engineer putting the vocal a little more 'in the room', and creating a balance they thought was more listenable than the raw hard-pan we are familiar with.

I would love to hear peoples thoughts on what we each think we are hearing.

The tape wigs out a bit though, whats with that?
"Have a few beers, and take your time..."
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

mystery_train67 wrote:These two shows were recorded differently though. March 7th we have one source for the band, March 10 we have a mic on each one mixed down to the left channel. A better comparison of sound quality would have been Cant See Your Face from March 7.

Comparing to the masters samples yes there's an obvious difference, but I could put this down to the engineer putting the vocal a little more 'in the room', and creating a balance they thought was more listenable than the raw hard-pan we are familiar with.

Tape wig is a drop out. It's present on the bootlegs too. I posted my thoughts on the Botnick remastering effort in the Matrix thread. Sounds processed, cold and hard. Not as warm and organic as the March 7 tracks on the 2002 CD-R sampler Abram and Healey made Sugerman.
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

Moved the BOT 3/7 post's to the Matrix thread.
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

mystery_train67 wrote:These two shows were recorded differently though. March 7th we have one source for the band, March 10 we have a mic on each one mixed down to the left channel. A better comparison of sound quality would have been Cant See Your Face from March 7.

After giving the youtube BOT another listen with a clearer head, I understand where you are coming from. A more listenable version for ‘Joe Public’ from the original recordings we have heard. I’ll purchase the full Matrix re-mastered set when available but hoping a secondary original set of recordings would be released as well.
Dave777

Post by Dave777 »

Sorry if I am a little confused, new here. Are the Matrix songs on Spotiy from the source tapes or are they from the same tapes as the CD release? Thank you in advance.
Dave777

Post by Dave777 »

Okay... I understand now. BOT performed at the Matrix derived from the source tapes is the promotional hook for the new release of the first album.
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

The Royal Sperm

dj_vera wrote:Twentieth Century Fox:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/doors-tw ... -fox-live/

cool, thanks

direct link to soundcloud

https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=ht ... isual=true
Last edited by The Royal Sperm on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.KatRecords.com
tombstone

Post by tombstone »

The more I read through all of this, the more frustrated I become with Doors management (yet again)... Why don't they just wait until the great grandchildren of all their original fanbase have died before they release a complete Matrix, IOW, acquire New Orleans, etc? The fact that The Doors maintain such a strong presence 44 years after they've broken up should be incentive enough to acquire and release some unheard gems. But I think everyone here is correct; we'll probably get more re-re-remastered studio releases with minimal additional content...or another Best Of..Ugh...
antero

Post by antero »

There will be a RSD release:
Doors, The - Live At The Matrix, San Francisco, March 7 1967 [LP] (remastered, limited to 4500, indie-retail exclusive)
info from my local Record Store mailing list.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

antero wrote:There will be a RSD release:
Doors, The - Live At The Matrix, San Francisco, March 7 1967 [LP] (remastered, limited to 4500, indie-retail exclusive)
info from my local Record Store mailing list.
Will this be a "highlights" replication of what's coming on the CD set? Or will it be the complete March 7 recordings?
antero

Post by antero »

at this point I just know the release was ordered by my RS owner, no more info was given than the price to be around $21.95
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

antero wrote:at this point I just know the release was ordered by my RS owner, no more info was given than the price to be around $21.95
Based on the pricing, it's probably the same exact March 7 Matrix highlight tracks in the upcoming Doors 50th box set.
The Royal Sperm

it will be the same tracklist than the CD version on the box 1 LP, i bet
www.KatRecords.com
The Royal Sperm

The Doors' Live At The Matrix was recorded on March 7, 1967 in San Francisco. Newly mastered by Bruce Botnick, the historic engineer for The Doors, from recently discovered original master tapes. Celebrating 50 years of The Doors, Live at the Matrix is now on vinyl for the very first time, exclusively for Record Store Day 2017.

SIDE A: 01 Back Door Man (Live at the Matrix 3/7/67) 02 Soul Kitchen (Live at the Matrix 3/7/67) 03 Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar) (Live at the Matrix 3/7/67) 04 Light My Fire (Live at the Matrix 3/7/67)
SIDE B: 01 The Crystal Ship (Live at the Matrix 3/7/67) 02 Twentieth Century Fox (Live at the Matrix 3/7/67) 03 The End (Live at the Matrix 3/7/67)

http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/9310
www.KatRecords.com