Paul Rothchild

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

DalloLama

Paul Rothchild

Post by DalloLama »

G'Day Vince,

Was wondering how The Doors got along w/ producer Paul Rothchild?

I read somewhere Jim behaved during the recording of LA Woman because Paul wasn't producing anymore!

What are your thoughts on Rothchild?

Cheers
Adam
vince

Paul Rothschild

Post by vince »

Paul was a person dedicated to his craft. He was good. He had ideas about music and how it should sound. He helped the Doors to arrange some of the music and at other times, the music went as they played it.

He tried to establish a rapport with the guys when they were recording or doing proctive takes to establish a feeling for the mood of the music, the intent and flow.

He was a perfectionist. In some cases this was OK but on the 4th album it was carried to extreme with the songs being repeated so many times that they lost all life. In some cases it was almost metronomic.

I likes Pual. He was always polite and respectful to me. He paid me compliments on more than one occasion and, when the managerial decision was made, he told the guys that no matter what happened not to let me quit.

On the negative side I think it unfortunate that Paul introduced some heavy drungs during some of the recording sessions. That did not help Jim and his troubles.

He worked well the Bruce Botnick. Together they were an absolute team, each complimenting the talents of the other.

When the Movie was made I met Paul again and we had some good times on the set. Paul was the music director. During the filming he found out that he had throat cancer. It was to be kept a secret so that he would not be replaced. This was his last work with the Doors and he wanted it to be a success. It is such a shame that the movie failed. Though Paul died not too long after completion, he did not have the enjoyment of sound track results. Where the story failed, Paul did his best to see that the music was as accurate and realistic as possible.

He worked for hours with Kilmer to teach him the style and sound that Jim had. His success is marked by the comparison of the tapes. It is very dificult to tell them apart.

Paul helped the Doors achieve success. It is possible that they would have made it with another producer just because of the content of the songs on Album 1 and 2. But certainly, Paul, with the assist of Bruce, gave them the sound that made it work on stage and in the studio.

I cannot say Paul was a personal friend. I knew him, worked with him many times in studio, rehearsals and on stage. I likes him and respected him as a producer and Gentleman.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
DalloLama

Paul Rothchild

Post by DalloLama »

Thanks for your response, Vince. Good to hear stories about Paul.

How did Jim get on w/ Paul?

I read Botnick say once that Paul was an authority figure, or became one over time at least, so Jim would automatically rebel, like a reflex action (or something along those lines).

Thanks Vince,

Adam
vince

Authority

Post by vince »

Likely so that Paul represented authority. they did do pretty much as he asked. He was also firm with Jim, pushing him hard when he felt the need. Wjen in studio, Jim did pretty well behave. The problem, in the latter days, was getting him in there.

In the end I believe all the guys respected Paul though at times they were frustrated by his drive for perfection. They were not machines but creative artists and as such did make slight mistakes here an there. Overall, it did not detract from the music or energy presented therein.

It was a harsh day when Paul walked out. They went into a real feeling of loss and bewilderment. It was into this desperate gap the Bruce stepped. They were leaderless and needed someone to replace the firmness and strength that Paul had.

Bruce was a great engineer and no one can say less of him. But I am not certain that he was ready for the jump to producer at that time.
Still and all the album was produced, Bruce did it and it was, for all intents and purpose, popular with some segment of the public.

Except the the masterful redirection of the movie, paul was to have nothing more to do with the Doors.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors