David Vaught

Introduce yourself to the forum or just get something off your chest in this off-topic area.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

anytimecowboy

David Vaught

Post by anytimecowboy »

I Dont know if it means anything to anyone here but David Vaught aka Jon wayne passed away on 13/03/13

The original cowpunk has found his Texas funeral. RIP David Vaught long live Texas and whiskey ... yip yip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXFurZOKrBY
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

RIP David Vaught
11.27.48 -- 3.13-13
musician l engineer l mixer I producer

David Vaught aka Jon Wayne passed away on March 13th from pancreatic cancer. Prayers go out to his family and friends, in particular his longtime friends, Marvin Etzioni, and
Don Haffington. David is survived by his daughter, Chloe.

"He (David Vaught) was the picasso of engineers."
-- Marvin Etzioni, artist I producer (Lone Justice, Toad The Wet Sprocket, Counting Crows)

"Lone Justice fans will be familiar with my old friend David Vaught. He recorded the first ever LJ studio sessions which were later partially released on the LJ comp cd this world is not my home. David continued to work with Marvin and Don (Haffington) and has been brother to them through the years."
--- Maria Mckie (Lone Justice)

Listen to "Miss this World," the first track from Marvin's Country recorded by David at his studio, Camp David in Thousand Oaks, CA.

"David's debut album by Jon Wayne "texas funeral" is the greatest cow punk album ever," says Etzioni. David formed the alt-country band in the 80s in Los Angeles made up of pseudonymous session musicians. They drew attention from the film world and appeared on the performing art documentary D.U.I in 1986. The song "Texas Funeral" from Jon Wayne, appears in Robert Rodriguez's film "From Dusk Till Dawn" as well as the song "I've Got Texas" in the film "American Strays."
According to Marvin, Quentin Tarantino was interested in the song for Pulp Fiction. White Stripe's Jack white released it on Third Man Records.

"David and I were working on and just about completed many albums just prior to his passing," says Etzioni. They include: The forthcoming releases by Les Bohem (legendary screenwriter --Spielberg, Stallone, and founding member of Gleaming Spires), Jasmine Tomasso's debut featuring an intimate version of "Born to be wild." The Holy Brothers -Johnny B. Holy and Buddy Holy aka Willie Aron and Marvin Etzioni debut.
David co-produced and mixed Marvin Country. (Album of the week: bbc; Song of the day: kcrw; Rollingstone.com feature on "the grapes of wrath" (featuring John Doe)
American songwriter feature on "Lay it on the table (featuring Lucinda Williams)
Also on Marvin Country (the last album david worked on as producer, engineer, mixer and bassist), the song "What's Patsy Cline Doing These Days?" (features Jon Wayne. the last recording by Wayne.) "Of course, neither David nor myself knew this was going to be the case," says Etzioni. On "Marvin Country" the notes say: "Oh yeah, David is David Vaught. Co-producer, chief engineer, mixer. Really, without David, this album would not have been. He started as a painter, artist, then joined a surf band, playing bass at 13. Played with everyone from Tom Waits to Helen Reddy. He doesn’t play much bass these days, mostly behind a console. Usually his 1969 Daniel Flickenger board."

"He was correct in calling the final takes of several songs on my forthcoming album, Marvin Slow (It's called slow because it's been 18 years in the making) and choosing the closing song "Stardust," says Etzioni.

Partial Discography: TOAD THE WET SPROCKET "Bread and Circus" Sony; "In Light Syrup" Sony (featured in " So I Married an Axe Murderer" Sony soundtrack album ); PRIMITIVE RADIO GODS "Rocket" Sony ( featured in " The Cable Guy " Sony soundtrack album - and includes the single "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth " which received the most airplay for an alternative single of all time); COUNTING CROWS "Recovering the Satellites" Geffen; PETER CASE "Peter Case Sings Like Hell" Vanguard; LONE JUSTICE "This World is Not My Home" Geffen; JON WAYNE " Texas Funeral " Cargo (featured in " From Dusk til Dawn " Sony soundtrack album).

David engineered the Primitive Radio Gods’ - "White Hot Peach" released on War Records He recorded the RandyWeeks album "Madeline " on Hi Tone Records from which 2 cuts were featured in Twentieth Century Fox film "Say It Isn't So " and another 2 songs are featured in Fairly brothers film " Shallow Hal " on Twentieth Century Fox. David's work also appeared in HBO's "Sex and the City" via the Satellites album "Goodbyexotica".

copyright 2001 studioexpresso
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Texas Funeral...priceless video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcoJyvxlbCI

(Not to be confused with artists Jon Wayne & The Pain or JonWayne)
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

Thanks for posting that, Id read that eulogy. Id always hoped to see jon wayne one day and that they would do a third album. Well thats another artist on the list of never to be seen.
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''