Flying Televisions

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Dougs

Flying Televisions

Post by Dougs »

Hey Vince

This is gonna be abit of stupid question but rather than not ask it might at best make you laugh......

Did Jim really throw a television at Ray?
(like shown in the film)

Dougs
vince

ON THE AIR

Post by vince »

I think you best ask Ray that question. If the event took place it was either before my time with the Group or at a party to which I was not invited.

The Film is NOT to be believed to any great extent. The actions depicted therein are primarily for the sensational effects rather than truth.

Aside from the efforts of Stone to pack 6 years of history into a very sort screen time, there were too many events and incidents to really tell the story. And stone took up much too much screen time with useless and speculative incidents.

Let's see if I can give a comparison.

THe Doors story, as told by Stone, comes as close to truth as the Movie - Lord of the Rings does to the original story by Tolkien. In both cases the result was trash.

You know what is ironic. At least in my opinion. Stone could have done a really good job of it. He did the research, had the money and the support of the Doors and the support staff.

But flying TV - I am not certain I believe it ever happened. I could be way wrong. Best you ask Ray on that one.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
J.B.Marx

Post by J.B.Marx »

According to Ray it DID NOT happen. That's what I heard Ray saying. Is he telling the truth? I hope so. If not? I hope he wore a good helmet. lol
sullen and aborted

Post by sullen and aborted »

When jim Morrison lived with Ray and dorothy early on, he trashed their apartment a few times. If i had a singer like that in my band , I would have thrown him out, but Ray had some long term ideas and goals which reached fruition.
vince

Jim & Trash

Post by vince »

Jim trashed more places that Ray's apartment. He did a couple of houses to the extent that his supporters, who had foolishly let him stay in the house while they were away, learned a lesson - Don't allow anyone to stay in your house and second, don't let a drinker stay there in any case.

These were the result of drinking and a bout with Pam. In any case they were sure fire bad news when it was over.

Jim did some bottle throwing and falling down drunk and such at Ray's Venice Beach house in the earliest days. But they were drinking buddies - Ray was right up there with Jim.

Once can say that after the second or third time, Ray should have known better than to encourage Jim.

As for the flying TV, I had the feeling that this was a wild story. Jim was young and healthy but you don't just pick up a TV in those days and hurl it. They were pretty heavy.

There are so many stories about Jim's behavior. More often than not they are fantasy created by a vivid imagination. Jim was sometime way out of control. It was usually prevoked by some incident and it is hadly credible that he and Ray would get to that point.

Ray did not raise cain when Jim messed up Isle of Wright or New Orleans, If Jim deserved to have ray really angry, it was either or both of thise occasions - not to mention Amsterdam
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
JLizard

Lord of the Beer Can Rings

Post by JLizard »

Did JDM know JRR Tolken the author who wrote Lord of the Rings? I would think JRR was a professor at UCLA about the same time Jim was there? Plus JRR was known to insulate his pipe with more than just tobacco. :shock:
nephron

Post by nephron »

I thought Tolkien was a Christian, "C.S. Lewis"-like? Hence, Gandolf comes back from the depths of hell, more powerful than ever? :D
"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."--Einstein on the death of a friend.
vince

Tolkein

Post by vince »

This most incredible man was a professor in England and was never at UCLA at aly time. In fact, he was about at the age of retirement when Lord and Hobbit were released in the USA creating a huge following.

The point I made - or was trying to make, was that the Movie that Stone made about the Doors, was very much a fantasy compared to the real history and activities of the Group.

The Director and writers for the Lord Movie changed Tolkein's book so radically as to be nearly unrecognizable. For what reason I do not know but changes were made and parts omitted that were critical to the progress and development of the story. Better thay had made 3 movies to corrospond to the 3 books of the Lord saga rather than try to pack it all in to 3 hours of nearly unrecognizable farce. One ov the worst was taking the ring to Osgiliath, and the Moria saga did not fare well either not the episode that the Argonath when Frodo and Sam left the main group. A lot of time was wasted with distortions of the battle on the plains of the Eored whne Strider fell over the clif. Why did the Ents refuse to go to battle - The agreed to go. What was the purpose in that distortion. I could go on. I have read that thing - all four books, 19 times. I was horrified at the mashing of that magnificent work. Now, when you speak of Poets of fame... Try Tolkein on for size.

I know there will be S... hitting the fan on this one.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
JLizard

Post by JLizard »

Well I'm glad I said "I think" in my post because I was way off. I apologize. I wonder if I'm as off on my understanding of why Jim gave himself the name "Lizard King". Does anyone have the real answer?
vince

Lizards and such

Post by vince »

The line comes from - "I am the Lizard King, I can do anything."

Supposedly it was also in reference to a specific part of his anatomy the was considered somewhat a lengthy subject

I think that the public had more to do with the application of this title to Jjim than he did.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
JLizard

The meaning of the Lizard King

Post by JLizard »

No, when Jim and his woman were in California and he saw a lot of lizards comingling. He was amazed at how passive they were. As a joke he looked at his woman and proclaimed, "I am the lizard king!". What Jim told the public may have been something completely different.