Ray Manzarek and Roy Rogers

Discussions of other bands, including D21C/ROTS should go here.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

HungryHippo

Ray Manzarek and Roy Rogers

Post by HungryHippo »

Has anyone had the chance to hear any of their material?

From what I gather, Ray had acquired lyrics from the likes of; Warren Zevon, Jim Carroll, Michael McClure, etc. with the intention of recording/releasing them on a D21C album. Unfortunately, that never happened. However, a lot of these songs did pop-up on Ray and Roy's albums, Translucent Blues and Twisted Tales.

I don't know what the general consensus is on these 2 albums, but I've been digging on Twisted Tales now for a couple of weeks. It's always great to hear Ray on vocals :wink:
jamestkirk

Re: Ray Manzarek and Roy Rogers

Post by jamestkirk »

HungryHippo wrote:Has anyone had the chance to hear any of their material?

From what I gather, Ray had acquired lyrics from the likes of; Warren Zevon, Jim Carroll, Michael McClure, etc. with the intention of recording/releasing them on a D21C album. Unfortunately, that never happened. However, a lot of these songs did pop-up on Ray and Roy's albums, Translucent Blues and Twisted Tales.

I don't know what the general consensus is on these 2 albums, but I've been digging on Twisted Tales now for a couple of weeks. It's always great to hear Ray on vocals :wink:
There is also Ballads In The Rain 2008, which I also love...by Ray & Roy.

Moving away from trying to reproduce anything DOORS sounding, the music is fantastic...although they did a couple brilliant DOORS instrumental numbers, Crystal Ship & Riders On The Storm. The blues numbers on Translucent Blues are transcendent!

There is another thread here somewhere here where these albums were discussed at length...

Hurricane....oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEeG3l2GGIo
Last edited by jamestkirk on Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
fpicks

Post by fpicks »

The one to own is the 2nd album "Translucent Blues"
RiderOnTheStorm0

Post by RiderOnTheStorm0 »

fpicks wrote:The one to own is the 2nd album "Translucent Blues"

Yeah i agree, i got the chance to see them last year on my birthday, had frontrow seats, ray knocked my beer over on accident, bought me a full one after show haha. the songs on the second album are very good i enjoy almost all of them.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

RiderOnTheStorm0 wrote:
fpicks wrote:The one to own is the 2nd album "Translucent Blues"

Yeah i agree, i got the chance to see them last year on my birthday, had frontrow seats, ray knocked my beer over on accident, bought me a full one after show haha. the songs on the second album are very good i enjoy almost all of them.
Ray's vocal work is great.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
grasshopper

Re: Ray Manzarek and Roy Rogers

Post by grasshopper »

I enjoy these albums, kinda funny to hear what sounds like autotuned Ray at times on Twisted Tales.