ANDERS OSBORNE! Road To Charlie Parker-blues rock! DAMN!

Discussions of other bands, including D21C/ROTS should go here.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

jamestkirk

ANDERS OSBORNE! Road To Charlie Parker-blues rock! DAMN!

Post by jamestkirk »

ANDERS OSBORNE

ON THE ROAD TO CHARLIE PARKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQyDN4-xdy0

Anders Osborne (born 1966, Uddevalla, Sweden) is an American singer and songwriter.

As a teen, Anders started playing guitar and listening to Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Jackson Browne, and Joni Mitchell records. He fell in love with the vocal styles of Ray Charles, Van Morrison and Lowell George. Then he heard the blues of Robert Johnson and recordings of African drumming, and suddenly, everything clicked. "Blues connected everything together for me," Osborne recalls. "The early rock, the R&B, the jazz, the singer-songwriters. Blues was like a thread running through everything." He began playing in Open D tuning (a rare choice for a guitar virtuoso), which gives his fretwork a signature sound and feel. "I first heard Open D on Joni Mitchell's Blue," he says, "and my fingers just fit the tuning."

Anders left home at age sixteen, and hitchhiked and played music throughout Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, Asia, and the United States. He settled in New Orleans in 1985 and still calls Louisiana his home.

During his first decade in New Orleans, Anders lived in the French Quarter and Mid-City. He played regularly in local clubs, and after gaining a following, Anders received an independent record deal with Rabadash Records out of New Orleans, and released Doin' Fine in 1989.

His most recent release, Peace, was released on October 8, 2013. Osborne was quoted as saying, “Peace is light from darkness. The songs are written from the outside looking in. They are not making any judgments. I’m just stating facts. I’m writing from a brighter perspective. There’s less dusk and dark, and much more sunlight. The results are greater than I expected. The driving tones and sounds are free and natural. This is one of the coolest records I’ve ever made.”

"47" from Peace 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PM-qoyrMic

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley