How Do You listen To Your Music?

Introduce yourself to the forum or just get something off your chest in this off-topic area.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

jamestkirk:
That is my "maschine" from the early 80s:

And that is my Doors record collection on Feb. 23, 2015 ... only Doors 33 rpm records ... Solo records, compitations, Radio Shows and so one ...

Tschüss, Stefan
Search for the following Vinyl LP's:
The Doors - Leico PLS 3215 - Taiwan 67
Radio Show "Classic Call"
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

I, as some of you know, only listenand play vinyl.Never a cd or stream music.Ok, I play cd's in my car, but only because I don't have a recordplayer in my car!

I have a Thorens td166.My amp for now is a Denon and speakers Kef Caprice II from the early 80's, but still sound great.
I am curious about how others listen to their music.
This is the recordplayer I have, well, the same model, it's too dark now to make a pic.I also have another one, a photo will follow.

Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
jamestkirk

Re: How Do You listen To Your Music?

Post by jamestkirk »

I bought my SONY Solid State HP465A equipped with a Garrard turntable and SONY speakers in 1971, and it is rather rare now. It is nothing to brag about like the ones you guys have, but the sound is excellent and warm, with deep bass and not too tinny on the treble like some, and plays those old analog vinyls perfectly, & crisply... and it is especially good for the old mono records like the first two DOORS, and my Beatles (I have the complete Beatles catalog on vinyl--many in monaural), and my treasured Buffalo Springfield mono vinyl! I even have a rare MONO Spirit S/T 1968 LP promo -- really rare. It sounds amazing.

Oh and it has REAL solid walnut enclosures on the TT and speakers...beautiful.

One more feature that I love is that it has a 78rpm setting so i can play my antique vinyl too!!

By the way, for those whose still have your old 45rpm plastic-adapters that fit in the large holes in the 45rpm records (so you can play them on your TT)....I see the really old ones, from the 60's and 70's, are going for $30 at auction! Yeah...thirty bucks!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Great set, Scott.Imho one of THE ways to play and listen to records.I probably never find out what would be my ultimate equipment to have.But for me it's more about enjoying the music, listening and discovering music you hear for the first time.Although, the equipment must be ok
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Vinyl when I want to really listen. If I just want something on in the background or in a lazy mood it is CD.

I have three turntables.

One is made by Pioneer and sits on top of my mid-90's stereo (also Pioneer) and gives the best sound, especially through those speakers. That stereo has two tape decks, though neither work now and it can also play 25 CD's. So you can put it on in the morning and listen to 25 albums without having to do a thing! Or you can push random and it becomes like a juke box! It is a prized possession. It can play 33's and 45rpms. It of course has a radio in it and the TV is hooked up to it etc. It also has some neat playback (albeit gimmicky) features such as concert and karaoke and others, but I don't use them. I once had an audition and used the Karaoke setting to perfect my singing to the song I had chosen and I think that was the last time I used that setting, which was around 1997 lol.

Another one is part of a small stereo that plays 33/45 and 78's, which I really enjoy. It also has two working tape decks and a CD tray. I have that one cause I can record off of tape and vinyl onto a USB stick.

The third is a turntable that has built in speakers. Kind of a travel one. It can also record to my PC.

In the car up until 3 years ago I preferred listening to cassettes as opposed to CD's. They just sounded better in the car. The only reason I don't now is because my car only has a CD player.

I don't have an ipod or the equivalent cause I don't want one. I enjoy not having music all the time. Music is important to me but so is nature and listening to and talking with people. I know that makes me sound snobbish but so be it!

I record my vinyls to the computer and create CDs of them so I have the option of listening to them in the car and when I am being too lazy to be bothered using the turntable. Also it is good to have it backed up.

I very rarely listen to the radio these days.

Photos of my stereo and turntables will follow.
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Looking forward to more pix, guys. Oh, another neat feature I have on my SONY combo TT is a stereo/mono channel switch ...and believe me, when you play a mono platter, that mono switch-over really enhances the sound!

;)
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

This is my other turntable/Radio/8 Track player.
A Weltron 2005 from the early 70's in perfect condition.
I am not using it anymore and thinking of selling it

jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

That Weltron TT is ART, Ed! Soooo cool.

-Aldous Huxley
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Thanks, it's difficult to sell this one.I sold my other one I had today! It was a Weltron 2007.This is one without the 8 track player, but has a cassette player instead.
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

Well,

i have a Technics SL-1900 with a Denon DL103 cartridge and upgraded with Audioquest Evergreen RCA cables,
also use a NAD C356BEE Stereo Integrated Amplifier (and NAD Phono Pre Amp) with PSB Image B5 Speakers, and i'm very happy with them
also use an OPPO BDP 103 to listen music and play movies.
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

Downstairs Main Room System:

Speakers: Polk Audio LSi15. 10 foot pair of AudioQuest Type 6 Speaker Cables.
Turntable: Technics SL-BD22 Turntable with a Grado Gold Prestige Cartridge when playing Stereo Vinyl records and a Grado ME+ Mono Cartridge when playing mono Vinyl records. Audioquest Coral C/Q Interconnects.
Power Amplifier: Adcom GFA-555II modified from a single 675VA toroid to a dual 800VA Toroidal Transformer setup as well as bias adjustments for the 200W Motorola outputs and enhanced beat drivers. 550+ WPC RMS into 4 ohms @120Vac.
Pre-amp Processor: Onkyo Professional PR-SC885
Universal Player: Oppo BDP-103
Subwoofer: Velodyne SPL-1200
Monster Home Theatre Reference HTS 3600 MKII PowerCenter: Protects connected equipment from power surges, AC power line noise, and noise generated from other components.

Upstairs Master Bedroom setup:

Carver CM-1090 integrated amp
JBL L-166 Horizon speakers
Denon DVD-2900 Universal player
Buda

Post by Buda »

Wow, this last one must sound marvellous!! One day I will learn all the tech aspects of how to build such an excellent setup to play vinyl. Till then, I think I'm gonna arrive to your downstairs room and spend some time over there. No need to cook for dinners.. :mrgreen:
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk